Mass Effect 3 PC/PS3/xBox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
I cancelled my preorder of ME3 on PC, after reading a review of PC optimization. If PC version doesn't offer significantly upscale graphics, which I suspect because the HW requirement is not a huge one, I don't have reason to play it on PC. Having said that, I wonder what's the difference among PC/PS3/xBox 360 in terms of graphics quality. I played the first ME on PS3, and the second on xBox 360. Should I stick to one of them?

Solution

I'm obviously not arguing that PC's don't provide a better possibility in overhead room. My PC is several times more powerful than any console and I'm no fan of console gaming. I just don't think Mass Effect 3...

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Please do not be sarcastic. I'm a PC gamer myself. I'm just trying to figure out how ME3 is fared in each platform. The current PC requirement for this game is too generic based, I'm afraid its PC performance is not really better than consoles.

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
I'm not sarcastic,

with motioninjoy i play all my games (if needed with a ps3 controller) on the pc.
with my graphics card i tend to make a beast out of my system, compared to the vastly inferior consoles

with my online gaming i can rest asured that i'm not playing against 11 year old n00bs

(face it online gaming on the ps3 and xbox live is 80% childsplay)

If u want to experiance the complete and most vivid graphic awesomeness of mass effect 3 i strongly reccomend playing it on the pc.

not just that i think the game will be cheaper on the pc. and origin uses cloud storage for ur saves and what not incase something i do not wish opun thee hapens to ur console :O

Occasionally some people do not see the diffrence , if i play kirby's dreamcourse on the snes for 10 hours i wont complain about the graphics,

but if u compare it to an upscared hd snes emulator its diffrent .

the whole experiance pakage is just different ,

Nvidia also gives the option to play the games in 3d and not just stereoscopical 3d but also Nvidia 3d with the glasses and whatnot.

I take it that Mass effect 3 is just singleplayer? (not split screen)
PC PC PC PC PC

end.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
While I would choose PC as the preferred platform 10 times out of 10, you're right in your suspicion that this game does not remotely highlight strong computer hardware. As far as whether or not you could tell the difference between ME3 on PC and on Console, I can't say. I haven't seen it played on a console yet. I wasn't impressed by the PC version in any way, though.

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012

i have seen the maximum potential of 360's and ps3's
and i have played me3 on the pc.

impossible that THAT game is going to be betterlooking or equal on anything else than a pc.

come to think of it . not even ME2 is to be rivaled on the pc

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I'm not sure there is any reason to be too rabid in comparing any of the mass effect games on console to their pc counterparts. These are not graphically astounding games in the first place. ME3 is no exception. The OP's inquiry though was whether or not the PC version will look leagues better than the console versions, and in this case the answer is more than likely going to be no. ME3 on PC just doesn't look that great.

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
dont make me go as far to make comparison screens,

the AA on consoles is crap, i have yet to see anygame that looks equally good on the consoles than on the pc.

Heres another advantage if your monitor is a beast, then you will be able to put higher framerates than on the console. what will make it all the more realistic,

human eyes can detect differance between 60fps or 120

anyway , u know DMC4?

its not a visually stunning game but on the ps3 it looks like ****** and on the pc it looks great,..why ? Anti Aliasing

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/8/6/7/8/5/1/Saboteur_Aliasing_001.jpg.jpg/[img]

pc will look better than both

[img]http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/8/6/7/8/5/1/Saboteur_Aliasing_001.jpg.jpg/

Saboteur_Aliasing_001.jpg.jpg

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Right, so when I'm being a sniper on the PC, it'll look a lot better... ;)

Seriously, though, ME2 and ME3 are based on the Unreal 3 engine...no way is that going to push a modern gaming PC. I don't think there'll be any hugely discernible difference between the platforms.

What I would say is that by playing the previous 2 games on different consoles means you miss out on the development of your character since the first game. Although if pushed to make a choice for you, I'd go XBox 360 as you can port your ME2 character out of that and into ME3.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
My criteria for platform choice is,

1. Whether PC version has better graphic performance
-> Visibly Yes: Buy PC version
-> Hard to tell ->

2. Whether console version can be sold as used, if the price is the same. ME3 has the same price across all platform at this time.
-> Yes: Buy console version
-> No ->

3. Whether PC version has significantly better UI
-> Yes: Buy PC version
-> No -> Buy console version

Console version has one advantage at least for me. I can play it on bigger screen (50 inch), which gives me less nausea, with better sound (5.1 channel). Please, I know PC can have the same set up. I just don't want to connect PC to the main TV. Also since I have xBox 360 controller for PC, control is not an issue. This is better than buggy motionjoy.

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I played the demo on both the 360 and PC. There are very few graphics options on the PC version (may be different in the final product) and it did nothing to stress my hardware. As with ME1 and ME2, this game was really designed for the 360, there may be a HD texture pack for the PC version at some point, but probably not from Bioware. That said though there are some minor noticeable differences between the PC and 360 versions, explosions produce more noticeable debris and the textures are improved, but this does not impact the story or the playability. (Edit: The PC version is at this point not that much prettier over the 360.)

I ended up buying the 360 version, but that was mostly because of the achievements, and the fact that I had played through the previous games on that system. I did score a free copy of ME2 on the PC when I bought Dragon Age 2, and I did really enjoy playing through it a couple times on that platform, but then I had edited .ini files to make my Shepard pretty much a god, and all the money and resources that go with that.

In the end I would say stick with the 360 version, you played through ME2 on the 360 since some of the decisions you made in ME2 will carry over, and possibly make for a more fulfilling experience. Unless they release a DLC like "Genesis" where you can make those key choices without playing through again on another platform (or tracking down save files/editing them).

(Edit: The UI is pretty much the same, and in the demo I don't believe it gave me an option to use the 360 controller on the PC. I would really suggest downloading the demo on the 360 and the PC and judging for yourself which fits you better. I use the same 24" 1080p monitor for my PC and 360, may look different on a large TV.)

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012

SCREW THE CHARACTER :p ur first block of text is enough to play it on the pc .. better explosions and textures. and perhaps a highres textures pack in the future .. dx 11 support? or even more editable options for graphics.

Unreal 3 engine is great they'r testing the new gtx600 cards on it

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I'm obviously not arguing that PC's don't provide a better possibility in overhead room. My PC is several times more powerful than any console and I'm no fan of console gaming. I just don't think Mass Effect 3 is necessarily the game to base the argument on, because it just doesn't look great on PC, compared to OTHER PC games. With that said, I also know that you can see the difference between 120 fps and 60 fps and 30 fps. I'm not even sure at what FPS the console version runs. A lot of console games run at 30 fps but they are built around that framerate and use a lot of "techniques" to make this visually smooth in appearance to your eye (while sitting from a couch for instance. it clearly degrades the graphical quality of the game if you examine it closely). But again, Mass Effect 3 isn't Crysis or Battlefield 3 and any reasonable computer is going to run it way over the standard 60 fps threshold and many at the 120 fps threshold whether or not they have a monitor to support the full display of those frames.

The OP's concern is whether or not it is worth it for him to play this on PC specifically, and if he has a rig that will handle it, and if the game costs less on PC, then sure why not. But, if he has any reason to prefer one of his consoles, with this particular game I can't say that it would really matter. Unless you are worried about an unannounced hi-res texture package in the future, I'm just recommending that he play it on whatever platform he is most comfortable using. The game itself is not breath-taking graphically on ANY platform.

Without quoting your subsequent post, they are testing a lot of new GPU's on the unreal engine but specifically they are using the Samaritan demo which is apparently quite taxing. I don't know enough about it to say in what regard exactly, however.

Solution

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
It seems that ME3 has not matured enough to be PC-superior at the moment. I'll wait a little bit more until Bioware release high-res pack, or get 360 one if price drop around the time I feel tired with Skyrim. (if Diablo 3 won't be available, of course).

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I have the PC version ,

My PC is very good, The game is supersmooth with everything High, and it feels like playing Mario on the best PC in the world ...
I dont know how to explain that, but i dont like how everything move smoothly... Running the game very smooth seems like the game is Superfast and very old regarding the Graphics ...

I will be getting the 360 in few days ...

Its seems wierd, but yes this is how is it, and it would be more funny with a Controller ..

Status
Not open for further replies.