user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I have XP Home SP 1. I want to back up my documents. I have a second
internal HD. Is there a simple run-line command, like xcopy (do I
remember correctly) that would copy the My Documents folder, all
subfolders, and all files to my second HD?

If I schedule a copy every two weeks or so, would xcopy find and
replace the files that have changed? Or just rewrite the whole thing?

I normally have 2-3 Gigs of data in the My Documents folder. I've got
plenty of space on the second HD.

Thanks for your guidance.

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net

Fishy

Make it easy on yourself and use Windows 'drag and drop' to transfer from
one window to another..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Fishy
>
> Make it easy on yourself and use Windows 'drag and drop' to transfer from
> one window to another..

If you have plenty of time to wait. I do something like the OP wants to
do with a group of over 1 million files. Using Windows Exploder takes
days while XCOPY will do the same thing from a batch file in less than
an hour.
Plus with XCOPY and a batch file I can back up multiple directories and
machines without having to baby sit the process or wait.

<*(((><{ wrote:
> I have XP Home SP 1. I want to back up my documents. I have a second
> internal HD. Is there a simple run-line command, like xcopy (do I
> remember correctly) that would copy the My Documents folder, all
> subfolders, and all files to my second HD?
>
> If I schedule a copy every two weeks or so, would xcopy find and
> replace the files that have changed? Or just rewrite the whole thing?
>
> I normally have 2-3 Gigs of data in the My Documents folder. I've got
> plenty of space on the second HD.
>
> Thanks for your guidance.
>
> <*((((><{
> Fishy@Ocean.Net

What you want is to create a batch file and place in it a line like the
following:
xcopy "document folder location\*.*" "backup location" /D /S /R /Y

If you need to backup multiple directories just make copies of the above
line and change the directories to suit.

XCOPY will definitely work, and can be run via a smalll batch file, which
can be activated via a scheduler.

My favorite usage of XCOPY is:

XCOPY "source_files" "target_directory" /S /V /H /D /R

"source_files" might be something like C:\Myfiles\*.*
"target_directory" might be something like D:\Myfiles_copy

The "/D" parameter will copy only new or changed files.

For more info about XCOPY, open a command prompt and type XCOPY /?