Analog/Digital/TriMode?????

I have an LG3100. It has coverage problems in some areas and I was told
that it was because it was digital only. Can someone explain this or
send me to a link that will? I thought digital was the way to go and
now it looks like they're saying my coverage would be better with
analog? CS tells me to make sure my next phone is a tri mode. My old
Nokia 5185i had coverage everywhere so I upgraded to an LG3100 and I'm
not getting the same, but worse. Help?
35 answers Last reply
More about analog digital trimode

    On 25 Jan 2005 13:45:49 -0800, fredharris99@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I have an LG3100. It has coverage problems in some areas and I was told
    >that it was because it was digital only. Can someone explain this or
    >send me to a link that will? I thought digital was the way to go and
    >now it looks like they're saying my coverage would be better with
    >analog? CS tells me to make sure my next phone is a tri mode. My old
    >Nokia 5185i had coverage everywhere so I upgraded to an LG3100 and I'm
    >not getting the same, but worse. Help?

    It all depends.

    First off, it could be that your LG has worse digital coverage than
    your Nokia and hence even in a full digital area your Nokia held a
    better digital signal better than the LG.

    But in some areas, Verizon and/or its partners (Extended Network) may
    still be analog. You did not tell us where you live or where you go
    with your phone. The vast majority of Verizon Wireless is now digital
    in the eastern US. Some rural areas out west may be analog, and some
    partner system that your phone may use also may be analog.

    Also, some areas where digital coverage is spotty, analog may work
    better (I have seen this to be the case in a few places)

    I have a tri-mode for just this reason. Even though the final
    analog-only area where I live went digital about a year and a half ago
    (Verizon bought an old mom-and-pop cell company and converted it to
    CDMA digital), there may be a chance where I'd rather use a phone in
    analog rather than no phone at all.

    And of course, have you updated your roaming profile recently? (known
    as the Preferred Roaming List or PRL). Dial *228 and press 2 when
    prompted. Its a free call and you should this about once a month on
    average. This is a list that your phone uses to determine which
    networks that your phone should use in a priority order.

    (For more information - go to http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm)

    Sorry if this sounds a bit weird, but there is not necessarily one
    answer to your problem, as it may be more than one problem at the same
    time.

    Dave

    fredharris99@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have an LG3100. It has coverage problems in some areas and I was told
    > that it was because it was digital only. Can someone explain this or
    > send me to a link that will?

    I am sure others will explain this in greater detail or provide
    links, but basically, as I understand it, analog is an older
    technology being phased out in favor of digital. Digital can
    carry more signals and is more efficient in terms of bandwidth
    and network utilization.

    All new towers are for the most part (all?) digital. In those
    areas where digital hasn't taken a foothold, analog still is
    used, so a phone that can do both digital and analog will work
    there too. So if you wander of the beaten path, chance are
    you may not find a digital signal where there might be an
    analog signal still. That's a reason I chose a trimode phone
    myself, touch 99% I am in digital mode.

    I also believe that analog mode uses up more power (?) and
    works over greater distances (?) ... anyway, that's my
    understanding, I'm sure others will correct me ;-)

    Hope this helps,

    Esmail

    The following might be useful:

    http://www.wirelessguide.org/phone/types.htm
    http://www.montana.edu/telephone/digitalanalog.html
    http://www.cellphoneinfo.com/index.html

    Esmail Bonakdarian wrote:
    > fredharris99@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have an LG3100. It has coverage problems in some areas and I was told
    >> that it was because it was digital only. Can someone explain this or
    >> send me to a link that will?
    >

    > I am sure others will explain this in greater detail or provide
    > links, but basically, as I understand it, analog is an older
    > technology being phased out in favor of digital. Digital can
    > carry more signals and is more efficient in terms of bandwidth
    > and network utilization.

    Yes, but analog signals typically cover more real estate than digital signals
    do, so analog is still in use in rural areas.

    > All new towers are for the most part (all?) digital. In those
    > areas where digital hasn't taken a foothold, analog still is
    > used, so a phone that can do both digital and analog will work
    > there too. So if you wander of the beaten path, chance are
    > you may not find a digital signal where there might be an
    > analog signal still. That's a reason I chose a trimode phone
    > myself, touch 99% I am in digital mode.

    Me too.

    > I also believe that analog mode uses up more power (?) and
    > works over greater distances (?) ... anyway, that's my
    > understanding, I'm sure others will correct me ;-)

    You're right.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

    One tidbit I'd add is that my preference is to buy tri-mode phones
    with a "digital-only" setting. Kyocera (all), LG (all), and Nokia
    3589i, and Nokia 6015i have this setting. There may be others.

    On the LG phones it's a little less easy to access as it's a programming
    menu revealed by dialing 'menu+0' then selecting CDMA or PCS
    only. On the Nokia's and Kyocera's there's simply a "digital-only"
    setting in the menus which will automatically select CDMA or
    PCS digital. If only analog is available, the phone will display
    "searching..." until you re-enable automatic mode.

    -Dan

    PS: Nokia and Kyocera tend to offer free PC software for use
    with your phone (except on prepaid models). i.e. They allow you
    to avoid paying separately for software to move contacts. You
    would, however, still have to purchase a data cable (i.e. ebay.com)

    --

    =======================
    Oregon and the Pacific Northwest

    > PS: Nokia and Kyocera tend to offer free PC software for use

    Sorry to post an update to my own post. Kyocera offers free USB drivers
    so you can use phone as modem. Their desktop software to move
    contacts costs extra (In the past, it had been available for free).

    Nokia continues to make desktop software available. The old Sony Ericson
    T61c came with a really nice suite of software that was free to download
    as well.

    Most of the models now sell the software as extra separately...

    The Get It Now phone book transfer program might make more sense...
    Cost appears to be $1.99/mo. This still may be cheap if you
    figure future dial cables and software often cost $40 or more and
    the cable is tied to a specific phone model.

    -Dan

    Diamond Dave wrote:
    > On 25 Jan 2005 13:45:49 -0800, fredharris99@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > >I have an LG3100. It has coverage problems in some areas and I was
    told
    > >that it was because it was digital only. Can someone explain this or
    > >send me to a link that will? I thought digital was the way to go and
    > >now it looks like they're saying my coverage would be better with
    > >analog? CS tells me to make sure my next phone is a tri mode. My old
    > >Nokia 5185i had coverage everywhere so I upgraded to an LG3100 and
    I'm
    > >not getting the same, but worse. Help?
    >
    > It all depends.
    >
    > First off, it could be that your LG has worse digital coverage than
    > your Nokia and hence even in a full digital area your Nokia held a
    > better digital signal better than the LG.
    >
    > But in some areas, Verizon and/or its partners (Extended Network) may
    > still be analog. You did not tell us where you live or where you go
    > with your phone. The vast majority of Verizon Wireless is now digital
    > in the eastern US. Some rural areas out west may be analog, and some
    > partner system that your phone may use also may be analog.
    >
    > Also, some areas where digital coverage is spotty, analog may work
    > better (I have seen this to be the case in a few places)
    >
    > I have a tri-mode for just this reason. Even though the final
    > analog-only area where I live went digital about a year and a half
    ago
    > (Verizon bought an old mom-and-pop cell company and converted it to
    > CDMA digital), there may be a chance where I'd rather use a phone in
    > analog rather than no phone at all.
    >
    > And of course, have you updated your roaming profile recently? (known
    > as the Preferred Roaming List or PRL). Dial *228 and press 2 when
    > prompted. Its a free call and you should this about once a month on
    > average. This is a list that your phone uses to determine which
    > networks that your phone should use in a priority order.
    >
    > (For more information - go to
    http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm)

    > Sorry if this sounds a bit weird, but there is not necessarily one
    > answer to your problem, as it may be more than one problem at the
    same
    > time.
    >
    > Dave

    Thanks Dave. Very helpful. I still am not quite sure why it seems that
    analog, in this case, seems to have a better signal than the digital
    mode did which I've been told is the difference between my LG3100 and
    the Nokia 5185. I see in some of the research that analog has a better
    signal for quality sometimes, but doesn't say, outside of what the
    Verizon CS gal said, that analog has a better signal in some areas. I
    am in s.cent PA and although we're not metrop., it also is far from
    rural. We have a lot of cell towers in the area and are not from major
    roads such as Int 81 and the PA turnpike.

    It has, thanks for your time.

    I think the fact that you claim analog covers more than digital is the
    reason behind my increased signal. Thanks your info

    Thanks Dan,
    When I got the 3100, I was interested only in a smaller flip phone. I
    think my next upgrade will find me doing some better research for some
    of the features which you mention that the 3100 doesn't give. Thanks.

    How important is Analog nowadays? Alot of phones coming out nowadays
    are all digital.

    fredharri...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Thanks Dan,
    > When I got the 3100, I was interested only in a smaller flip phone. I
    > think my next upgrade will find me doing some better research for
    some
    > of the features which you mention that the 3100 doesn't give. Thanks.

    > How important is Analog nowadays? Alot of phones coming out nowadays
    > are all digital.

    About 50% of the geographic coverage in Oregon is analog-only. Granted,
    this is mostly rural areas, but even our main ski resort (Willamette Pass)
    is analog-only. If you go skiing and want to use your phone, you better
    have analog support... [By main ski resort, I mean closest to Eugene
    Oregon where I live]

    Many other states out West are the same way. Some folks who only travel to
    and from cities could care less. Folks like me care a whole bunch about
    analog...

    -Dan

    --

    =======================
    Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:16:41 -0500, Esmail Bonakdarian
    <ebonakDUH@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >All new towers are for the most part (all?) digital. In those
    >areas where digital hasn't taken a foothold, analog still is
    >used, so a phone that can do both digital and analog will work
    >there too. So if you wander of the beaten path, chance are
    >you may not find a digital signal where there might be an
    >analog signal still. That's a reason I chose a trimode phone
    >myself, touch 99% I am in digital mode.

    At this point in time, there are no areas where digital service is not
    offered by VZW. Analog coverage has very little bandwidth allocation
    and will likely begin to disappear once the FCC mandate for supplying
    Analog expires (next year??).

    I used to use a tri-mode and never made an actual analog call in
    three years. So I decided it wasn't worth the feature loss/ battery
    life cost/ handset cost and got an all digital phone.

    Your mileage may vary.

    bill@microsoft.com wrote:

    > At this point in time, there are no areas where digital service is not
    > offered by VZW. Analog coverage has very little bandwidth allocation
    > and will likely begin to disappear once the FCC mandate for supplying
    > Analog expires (next year??).

    But there will still be places where you can roam off Verizon's network and be
    analog, primarily out here in the West.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

    While verizon does have an analog network, and by law has to keep it in
    fairly good working order for a few more years, I am under the
    impression that all of it has been overlaid with digital. Therefore, a
    phone that will work everywhere on verizon's system need be digital
    only. It is only when you are free or non free roaming that analog
    would be required.

    <fredharris99@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Thanks Dave. Very helpful. I still am not quite sure why it seems that
    > analog, in this case, seems to have a better signal than the digital
    > mode did which I've been told is the difference between my LG3100 and
    > the Nokia 5185. I see in some of the research that analog has a better
    > signal for quality sometimes, but doesn't say, outside of what the
    > Verizon CS gal said, that analog has a better signal in some areas. I
    > am in s.cent PA and although we're not metrop., it also is far from
    > rural. We have a lot of cell towers in the area and are not from major
    > roads such as Int 81 and the PA turnpike.

    I travel in that region a lot and I don't know of any areas where analog
    would be necessary or any advantage. I used to have a trimode (vx4400)
    which I set to use CDMA only and never had to change the setting to use the
    phone. Now I have a vx4500 which is digital only.

    But, if someone has verizon service, meaning they actually live in a
    "civilized" area hihi, how often do most of them travel out to
    nowhereville? Most people get a service which itself covers where they
    will be using it most, meaning that they never roam, free or not free.

    Maybe few actually travel outside their home area, but anyone who does
    should have a trimode, if for nothing other than emergency use. There is
    nothing worse than having car trouble on a lonely stretch of highway and
    have a cell phone that doesn't work...

    Not sure if this is a phone thing or digital/analog - while getting mom's
    phone (a trimode) a lady came in with two vx7000's - she wanted to return
    them for phones that worked (it was past 30 days from what I gathered but
    they swapped them without argument). Her husband was hospitalized in Chicago
    and they had no signal in the hospital and had a poor one from the hotel. On
    a previous trip, her old phone worked just fine in both locations. (I would
    have expected a good signal in Chicago on a digital.) She also had signal
    problems from her home in a rural part of NE PA - this is more likely
    because she had an all digital. She was trying a new model and if they
    weren't satisfactory, she was going to go back to her old phone - she didn't
    say what model it was, but I'm betting it's a trimode.

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:53:59 -0800, Steve Sobol wrote:

    > bill@microsoft.com wrote:
    >
    >> At this point in time, there are no areas where digital service is not
    >> offered by VZW. Analog coverage has very little bandwidth allocation
    >> and will likely begin to disappear once the FCC mandate for supplying
    >> Analog expires (next year??).
    >
    > But there will still be places where you can roam off Verizon's network and be
    > analog, primarily out here in the West.

    And many rural areas in other parts of the country as well. Analog is
    still very much present in areas where the major carriers can't justify
    putting up digital towers and instead roam with the smaller analog carriers.

    If you are in or near most metropolitan areas, "digital only" phones work
    fine. If you travel a lot and drive the back roads you still need analog if
    you want to extend your coverage.

    One advantage of analog too is that any cellphone capable of analog
    operation will work on any analog system. Digital restricts you to the
    mode your carrier uses, i.e. Cingular, AT&T, Cricket, T-Mobile phones won't
    work on Sprint or Verizon networks.

    > Therefore, a phone that will work everywhere on verizon's system need be
    > digital only.

    There are still areas of Oregon with Verizon native analog-only. To verify
    this claim, go to www.verizonwireless.com, then go under support, and
    coverage locator. Select "Verizon Wireless Network Map" then enter zip code
    97405 (where I live). Look at the dark green areas for examples.

    -Dan

    PS: I am splitting hairs here. The locations Verizon native has stayed
    analog could not be serviced better with digital due to distance and
    terrain. My point is simply that Verizon continues to provide analog-only
    coverage, which if you wish to benefit, requires a tri-mode phone.
    --

    =======================
    Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    According to those maps, my impression was in error. Although those
    areas are likely few, and those who live near there are probably quite
    aware of the problem. Here in WI, verizon is all pcs. There is no
    analog on pcs.

    On 26 Jan 2005 13:49:04 -0800, EENYC1@AOL.COM wrote:

    >How important is Analog nowadays? Alot of phones coming out nowadays
    >are all digital.

    ==========
    Here in hilly Vermont it is quite entertaining to watch the touristas
    try to make calls, walking around from spot to spot in parking lots,
    while my tri-mode phone picks up a 3 or 4 bar analog signal without a
    problem.

    In article <I46Kd.223$Pi.128@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote:

    (I would
    > have expected a good signal in Chicago on a digital.)

    Just having gone to a trimode phone and having an apartment on the 22nd
    floor in a building on Lake Shore drive I can comment:

    Signal strength is not the issue in a high rise building; multi-path
    reflections confuse the decoding process resulting in unreliable digital
    connections in situations where analog works fine.

    She also had signal
    > problems from her home in a rural part of NE PA - this is more likely
    > because she had an all digital.

    I can imagine that away from Wilkes Barre or where ever, the hills would
    also be difficult for a digital phone.

    I bought a Motorola V265 trimode phone and like it (except for the
    camera).

    > "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > But, if someone has verizon service, meaning they actually live in a
    > > "civilized" area hihi, how often do most of them travel out to
    > > nowhereville? Most people get a service which itself covers where they
    > > will be using it most, meaning that they never roam, free or not free.

    > Just having gone to a trimode phone and having an apartment on the 22nd
    > floor in a building on Lake Shore drive I can comment:
    >
    > Signal strength is not the issue in a high rise building; multi-path
    > reflections confuse the decoding process resulting in unreliable digital
    > connections in situations where analog works fine.

    Thanks! I guess I should stop asking for high floors when I stay in hotels
    if I want the best signals.

    In article <zgxTd.14088$x53.9274@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote:

    > > Just having gone to a trimode phone and having an apartment on the 22nd
    > > floor in a building on Lake Shore drive I can comment:
    > >
    > > Signal strength is not the issue in a high rise building; multi-path
    > > reflections confuse the decoding process resulting in unreliable digital
    > > connections in situations where analog works fine.
    > >

    > Thanks! I guess I should stop asking for high floors when I stay in hotels
    > if I want the best signals.

    That's some of it. Mostly it is the signal reflections off of adjacent
    buildings.

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:38:29 GMT, Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote:

    >One advantage of analog too is that any cellphone capable of analog
    >operation will work on any analog system. Digital restricts you to the
    >mode your carrier uses, i.e. Cingular, AT&T, Cricket, T-Mobile phones won't
    >work on Sprint or Verizon networks.

    I don't believe PCS vendors are required to offer analog, just the old
    A and B banders. If this is true, then an analog phone isn't as
    broadly useful as you imply.

    The true fact of the matter is AMPS circuitry takes up space and
    consumes lots of power and causes interference with internal digital
    circuitry. This is a significant cost. Fewer and fewer fones offer
    it. Eventually none will.

    If you are worried about coverage in the boondocks, get an old bag
    phone off of eBay and invest in the best antenna you can carry. '-)
    well.... if you are really that worried, and you can confine yourself
    to worries in North America, get a Globalstar tri mode phone... their
    third mode has full coverage everywhere you can see the sky :-)

    bill@microsoft.com writes:

    > If you are worried about coverage in the boondocks, get an old bag
    > phone off of eBay and invest in the best antenna you can carry. '-)

    Speaking of which, where has bag phone Larry been?

    --
    Theodore (Ted) Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

    Theodore Heise wrote:
    > bill@microsoft.com writes:
    >

    >>If you are worried about coverage in the boondocks, get an old bag
    >>phone off of eBay and invest in the best antenna you can carry. '-)
    >

    > Speaking of which, where has bag phone Larry been?

    Left Verizon for Alltel several months ago, and hasn't been seen in this
    newsgroup since.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:d10lvo$rbe$3@ratbert.glorb.com...
    > Theodore Heise wrote:
    >> bill@microsoft.com writes:
    >>

    >> Speaking of which, where has bag phone Larry been?
    >
    > Left Verizon for Alltel several months ago, and hasn't been seen in this
    > newsgroup since.
    >
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek

    And some of us miss him, too.

    Steve Sobol writes:
    > Theodore Heise wrote:
    > >
    > > Speaking of which, where has bag phone Larry been?
    >
    > Left Verizon for Alltel several months ago, and hasn't been seen in this
    > newsgroup since.

    Do you suppose Alltel let him activate his bag phone?

    --

    John R. Copeland writes:
    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message =

    > > Left Verizon for Alltel several months ago, and hasn't been seen in
    > > this newsgroup since.
    >
    > And some of us miss him, too.

    The place isn't quite the same.

    --

    Theodore Heise wrote:

    >>>Speaking of which, where has bag phone Larry been?
    >>
    >>Left Verizon for Alltel several months ago, and hasn't been seen in this
    >>newsgroup since.
    >

    > Do you suppose Alltel let him activate his bag phone?

    Maybe. Maybe not. Don't know, don't really care. He got really, really nasty
    with me before he left, said some incredibly obnoxious things, and at that
    point I stopped caring about anything he said or did.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    In news:d137bt$d57$2@ratbert.glorb.com,
    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> typed:

    >>> Left Verizon for Alltel several months ago, and hasn't been seen in
    >>> this newsgroup since.
    >>

    >> Do you suppose Alltel let him activate his bag phone?
    >
    > Maybe. Maybe not. Don't know, don't really care. He got really,
    > really nasty with me before he left, said some incredibly obnoxious
    > things, and at that point I stopped caring about anything he said or
    > did.

    I seem to remember that the "toy" phones worked great for him on Alltel so
    he probaby did not need the bag phone. ;-)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:35:35 -0600, "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net>
    wrote:

    >I seem to remember that the "toy" phones worked great for him on Alltel so
    >he probaby did not need the bag phone. ;-)

    Wouldn't that be funny if it was because Alltel has a tower right next
    door to that Wal-Mart he used to spend half his time in? :D

    Mike

    The real estate guy from Cary hasn't been around in a while either.

    Thanks for the laughs! You guys are so cute!

    "Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:35:35 -0600, "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I seem to remember that the "toy" phones worked great for him on Alltel so
    >>he probaby did not need the bag phone. ;-)
    >
    > Wouldn't that be funny if it was because Alltel has a tower right next
    > door to that Wal-Mart he used to spend half his time in? :D
    >
    > Mike

Verizon Internet Service Providers