Inquiry - Have Nintendo Patented their nuchunk/remote controller

Ihjhewitt

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Just ask to verify if the Nintendo Wii Nuchuk & Remote is registered as patented design??

Can people actually sell the same thing w/o a Nintendo or Wii logo on it??

Seems to me that they havent in any documentation registered their design..

Anybody can clarify or correct me??

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
well as u can see in the stores there are always cheaper versions (replica's of the design) by diverse brands that make imitation wii and nunchuck controllers that work with the wii .

But the logo is licensed and if u put a Nintendo wii logo on it u will get sued , also there is always a certified sticker on the back since the nes

Ihjhewitt

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

understood with your licensed logo section, but how about wii nunchuck/controller w/o logo on it?? I mean if i dont put any logo, say wii/nintendo, on my imitation controller, and i sell them, do i get sued??

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012

are you making a console?:p

i dont think so its just a remote with a small joystick in the otherhand.

before u know it everything u own will have an accelerator meter or gyroscope .

i dont think they can patent such technology even my phonecan imitate a wiimote

Ihjhewitt

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

no we don't make consoles.

we make nunchuk and remote (imitations of wii) w/o any logo, in other words, neutral products. but we have to make sure if this is legal, if not ,we will stop any related production, thanks.

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012

i have gamecube imitation wich do not have nintendo or gamecube on it .

you need to go read up on what your rights are. This is not a simple matter of whether nintendo patented their nunchuck design (and yes they have, obviously)

From what I know, if it's patented, you can pay them the royalties for using their design as long as you give them credit and include their logo on the product. This is how a lot of 3rd party controllers come up for a lot cheaper than original. (typically another company uses the same design just with a lot cheaper parts and cost cutting to make it for cheaper)

Another option you got is you can mimic the fuction but design everything completely from scratch making sure it doesn't match any of the nintendo design (you'll have to read their patent in depth for this) Then as long as your lawyer can show that your designed is fundamentally different from nintendo's you're free to make it.

The only last thing I will have to point out for you. No matter what your nunchuck design is, as long as you plan to make it work with the wii system, you will have to use nintendo's connection media (wired or wireless), and there's no way around that.

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012

But ive got nintendo gamecube controllers from a 3rd party brand without nintendo, and they sell them everywhere log1c i think was the name

Ihjhewitt

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

thanks anyways