Tbird / duran Cpu temp survey

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I want to know If my CPU is running to hot and what others are running at.

CPU: Heat sink/fan: Speed: Temp: notes:

Tbird Global win/quiet fan 900@ 1gig 120F

The deltal was to dam loud to I put in a generic quiet fan and only saw about a 10F increase

G

Duron 700 currently NOT overclocked: 96 deg average
Fan: El cheapo heatsink that was probably meant for a Celeron. I had originally used the Golden Orb that was supposed be for Duron but it did not contact well and I ran hot. It also chipped the chip a little. The cheap heatsink is not small however and I suggest the biggest that you can find. Also aiding to the temp may be the extra case fans I have.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Duron 600 Not overclocked (yet)
43C 109F idle
But keep in mind, I have an A7V with the 1004 bios
Using Global Win FOP32
3 case fans not including power supply.

G

I have an asus a7v and a duron 700 overclocked to 1000.

It's runs at about 36C/96F on the average and gets up to about 49C when playing games (Ultima IX, Deus Ex) for a couple of hours.

I have one case fan and a Global WinFop38.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, I have just overclocked my Duron 600 to 850. Works great except the temp. It is at 53C/127F. I am not sure how to better cool the system. I am thinking about putting two holes in the side and putting 2 80 mm fans pushing air directly on the processor, chipset, and video card.
I am a little concerned about the noise.

Using the Asus A7V bios 1004 which I have heard runs a little hot.
Any advice?

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That’s what I have but I replaced my fan with some generic “cool master”.
The Delta fan sounded like a hair dryer in my computer.
I have two fans in my case, one sucking air from the front and one blowing air out the back and my CPU never gets over 125F.
With the Delta it ran about 10F cooler so I would say your running a little hot.
But if your computer is stable and you’re happy with the speed who cares.
Thx

G

TB 850Mhz (original clock) on a7v at 1.8V runs at 38C, using CPUIdle, 3 fan hdd cooler, 2 80mm case fans, 1 120mm fan blowing on generic 80x80mm aluminum heatsink w/ 80mm case fan on top (it only cost me 11 bucks!) I added two 50mm fans to sides of heatsink also (pointing away from the heatsink), plus I have a 42CFM slot blower.
old pci 16MB gfx card, so only real heat comes from chip.
Peltier (74W 40x40mm) is in the mail. gotta figure out how to insulate that booger. The AMD spec for the maximum temp on TB's is approx 95C. I've run mine at 90C before, and the MB crashes out. I'm happy w/ anything under 50C though.
I plan on OC'ing this thing to at least 1155 (105x11). the japanese PLL mod looks interesting too... a7v will run at up to 145? FSB, maybe with higher IO voltage, new PLL I could run at say, 120x11=1320. New PLL is about $100US though, sigh.

G

I have an athlon 1Ghz idle approx 34 degrees C, 49 degrees under pressure. At 1.1Ghz runs 35 degrees C idle and 51 degrees under pressure. I have a coolermaster fan and KT7 M/B

G

38C may seem hot when 1.1Ghz can run at say, 41C. the thing is, even under load for hours, it _might_ hit 40 or 41. with the peltier and those fans, I should be fine I think. I actually goofed though, it's a 74 _degree_ peltier (Farenheit), not 74W. it's actually about 68W. I did some calculations the other day, and w/ adequate circulation, I should be able to keep it at 11degrees C below ambient. hopefully that won't cause an inordinate ammount of condensation, as I'm sure this chip is extremely sensitive to it, as it's all exposed. wish amd made cover plates the way intel did (although the p4's I've seen don't have them.... ????)

G

Im running an 850 Tbird @ 1060 27`c at idle up to low 40s under stress. Using a copper hedgehog, there is NO ALTERNATIVE to this heatsink if you want performance.
Previous to this I was using a CoolerMaster setup, ran at 35`c idle up to mid 50s @960, couldn`t hit a gig.

G

TB 750@950, on Hedgehog/Delta 38cfm HSF, measurement taken from MBM 5 on KT7 cpu sensor.

IDLE: lowest 21C, avg. 24C
LOAD: Highest 43C, avg highest 41C

BEST HS, no alternative. BEST Fan, if you can stand the whining noise, Iknow i can't. =) getting a Ys Fan soon.

G

950 Tbird @ 1.1gig on an Asus a7v using a Thermaltake SuperOrb. idle 42 C, loaded 47 C.
Planning to mod the case and add maybe half a dozen fans all around, a fanbus, and a cool cutout design on the side :) so I expect the temp to go down significantly.
The cheapo fan/sink that came with my processor was running @ 52 C without overclocking! cheap piece of crap, it now sits on my voodoo5

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry for starting this temp thread in the wrong category.
I had decided my Tbird 900 @ 997.5 was running way too hot.
I was hitting 55/131 under load. So.
I took my delta and removed the wire guard and mounted it back on my FOP 38 this time blowing away form the CPU into a scoop and out the exhaust fan.
What a difference, now I max out at 41/105.
Also I have noticed when I install the back cover on my case the grill block some airflow and raises the temp to 43/109.
I’m going to cut away all air obstructions and hopefully make it quieter at the same time.
If any one else responds let me know which way your CPU fan blows (too or away from the CPU)
Thx & Cya

G

Athlon 800 running at 1Ghz, under extreme load, it reaches 50 degrees celsius. With normal use (right now) it reaches 30 degrees. I have a KT& RAID and a Coolermaster Copper cooler and a bigtower case with 3 fans.

What is the maximum safe temperature for these athlons? i heard that 50 degrees is pretty safe.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh good. I recorded it somewhere.

Been doing so much test I forgot some of my old results.

Here is where I am now.

Duron 600 @900 Mhz w/ OCZ Monster II cooler w/ Comair fan, 1.80V core, 41 degrees at idle, 44 Avg, 48 at load. Lower voltage and a switch from thermal tape to Radio Shack Thermal Compound lowered my temps by 3 degrees. I'd like to do better so that I can run at 1000 Mhz but aside from radical cooling the only thing I can do is switch to Arctic Silver thermal grease.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I might as well post my update too.
Now my Duron 600 is at 950 on an A7V using the Global Win FOP32. But I put on some arctic silver. Now my temps are at 45C and 48C under load. I can't get it higher than 48C no matter how long I play games.