Placing the Page/Swap file on a separate partition

Hi
I'm preparing to partition my new hard drive and have done a fair amount of
research to that end and I'm having trouble reaching a consensus as to
whether it is even advisable to partition. Some believe that XP was designed
to be on one partition to make the most of its optimization features and that
dividing it up over multi partitions defeats that purpose. Some think that
placing the page/swap file on a separate partition will slow it down because
the hard drive heads will have to swing constantly between the system
partition and the swap file partition. Finally, there are differing opinions
on which portion of the hard drive is fastest: the inner or outer track. Any
light/information you can shed on these issues will be appreciated. Thanks
for your help.
5 answers Last reply
More about placing page swap file separate partition

    Benchmarking on Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx

    NTFS Preinstallation and Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/ntfs-preinstall.mspx

    <snip>

    Microsoft implemented certain disk-layout optimizations in Windows XP.
    To perform this optimization, during idle time Windows XP moves pages
    used for booting the system and launching frequently used applications to
    ensure these files are laid out contiguously on the hard disk. The contiguous
    disk layout of these pages results in reduced disk seeks and improved disk I/O,
    contributing to improved boot time and application launch time.

    Windows XP does not perform these optimizations across volumes. Therefore,
    for this optimization to be available to users, the hard disk must be partitioned
    as a single volume.

    <end of snip>

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "firewire" wrote:

    | Hi
    | I'm preparing to partition my new hard drive and have done a fair amount of
    | research to that end and I'm having trouble reaching a consensus as to
    | whether it is even advisable to partition. Some believe that XP was designed
    | to be on one partition to make the most of its optimization features and that
    | dividing it up over multi partitions defeats that purpose. Some think that
    | placing the page/swap file on a separate partition will slow it down because
    | the hard drive heads will have to swing constantly between the system
    | partition and the swap file partition. Finally, there are differing opinions
    | on which portion of the hard drive is fastest: the inner or outer track. Any
    | light/information you can shed on these issues will be appreciated. Thanks
    | for your help.

    As far as placing the swap file/page file on another partition within the
    same hd as xp,microsoft says no,it wont help performance at all,another hd
    is recommended.For details go
    to:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482

    "firewire" wrote:

    > Hi
    > I'm preparing to partition my new hard drive and have done a fair amount of
    > research to that end and I'm having trouble reaching a consensus as to
    > whether it is even advisable to partition. Some believe that XP was designed
    > to be on one partition to make the most of its optimization features and that
    > dividing it up over multi partitions defeats that purpose. Some think that
    > placing the page/swap file on a separate partition will slow it down because
    > the hard drive heads will have to swing constantly between the system
    > partition and the swap file partition. Finally, there are differing opinions
    > on which portion of the hard drive is fastest: the inner or outer track. Any
    > light/information you can shed on these issues will be appreciated. Thanks
    > for your help.

    Do what you think is right, by all means, but you should know that you're splitting hairs. Whatever performance advantage you might gain may be theoretically correct...but is it enough for you to notice or to make any difference in real life use? Not likely.

    Partition for convenience. For example, I keep My Documents in a separate partition because I find it more convenient to make backups that way; and should I ever have to restore my system partition, I won't be over-writing My Documents.

    Yeah, I put my page file on the outside edge of a separate hard disk. Did I notice any performance improvement? No. However, it takes a few seconds less to image my system partition. And since I'm a very important person whose time is extremely valuable, those extra seconds are worth something.

    Ted ;-> Zieglar

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 18:53:01 -0700, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com>
    wrote:

    > As far as placing the swap file/page file on another partition within the
    > same hd as xp,microsoft says no,it wont help performance at all,another hd
    > is recommended.For details go
    >to:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482
    >
    >"firewire" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I'm preparing to partition my new hard drive and have done a fair amount of
    >> research to that end and I'm having trouble reaching a consensus as to
    >> whether it is even advisable to partition. Some believe that XP was designed
    >> to be on one partition to make the most of its optimization features and that
    >> dividing it up over multi partitions defeats that purpose. Some think that
    >> placing the page/swap file on a separate partition will slow it down because
    >> the hard drive heads will have to swing constantly between the system
    >> partition and the swap file partition. Finally, there are differing opinions
    >> on which portion of the hard drive is fastest: the inner or outer track. Any
    >> light/information you can shed on these issues will be appreciated. Thanks
    >> for your help.

    See also:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    As far as placing the swap file/page file on another partition within the
    same hd as xp,microsoft says no,it wont help performance at all,another hd
    is recommended.For details go
    to:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482

    Did you read the article all the way through!? It says that there IS and advantage to placing the swap file in its own partition even if the "swap partition" is on the same physical drive as the "OS Partition". While performance isn't as good as it would be should the swap file go on a seperate physical drive as the OS, there is a performance gain because it won't get as fragmented.

Partition Hard Drives Windows XP