Advice before installing Windows XP SP2

I am looking for advice prior to installing the Windows XP SP2
service pack.

I have 2 Compaq Desktops
#1 Compaq Presario S3010CL-B (Sam's Club 7/3/2003) AMD Athlon XP
2200+
#2 Compaq Presario S5000J (Compaq Direct 9/13/2003) AMD Athlon
XP 2400+

The machines are Windowx XP SP1 with all Critical Updates
installed.

I visited the Compaq website and found the "HP and Compaq
Desktop PCs - Important Information for Upgrading to Microsoft
Windows XP Service Pack 2" document. I did the "System Restore
Update". I also did the "Multimedia Keyboard Driver Update",
even though I did not think it was necessary. I haven't observed
any changes in the machines from that one. The rest don't seem
to apply to my machines.

They did recommend updating drivers prior to installing SP2. I
have been puting off the following driver updates, on the "If it
ain't broke, don't fix it" theory:

(1)Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
(Pub:5/15/04 Rel:12/17/02)
(2)Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Win Modem (Pub:8/10/04
Rel:12/12/03)
(3)Windows XP Driver 5.10.0.5410 for Realtec AC 97 Audio
(KB833846 Pub:6/4/2004)
(4)S3 Graphics, Inc. - Video - S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
(Pub:5/17/04 Rel:3/2/04)
(5)VIA Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast
Ethernet Adapter (Pub:8/3/04 Rel:7/22/04)

I guess I will finally install them, unless someone is aware of
a reason not to.

Does anyone have any warnings about any of these drivers or
Windows XP SP2 on these machines?

TIA
--
Ken Wampach - LastNameATeskimoDOTcom
12 answers Last reply

    Ken,
    I cannot speak for others, but right now, I have no desire to install SP2 on
    my Presario S5200CL, an Athlon XP 2600+. I've had no security issues, which
    is the prime reason MS rolled out SP2. I run both a hardware and software
    firewall, plus a virus shield and anti-spyware software. and I never open
    e-mail unless it is scanned first.
    That said, there may be a time in the future when I would want to install
    SP2.
    But, most uimportantly, I'm a firm believer in the "If it ain't broke...."
    adage.
    HH

    "Ken Wampach" <NOSPAM@myisp.com> wrote in message
    > I am looking for advice prior to installing the Windows XP SP2
    > service pack.
    >
    > I have 2 Compaq Desktops
    > #1 Compaq Presario S3010CL-B (Sam's Club 7/3/2003) AMD Athlon XP
    > 2200+
    > #2 Compaq Presario S5000J (Compaq Direct 9/13/2003) AMD Athlon
    > XP 2400+
    >
    > The machines are Windowx XP SP1 with all Critical Updates
    > installed.
    >
    > I visited the Compaq website and found the "HP and Compaq
    > Desktop PCs - Important Information for Upgrading to Microsoft
    > Windows XP Service Pack 2" document. I did the "System Restore
    > Update". I also did the "Multimedia Keyboard Driver Update",
    > even though I did not think it was necessary. I haven't observed
    > any changes in the machines from that one. The rest don't seem
    > to apply to my machines.
    >
    > They did recommend updating drivers prior to installing SP2. I
    > have been puting off the following driver updates, on the "If it
    > ain't broke, don't fix it" theory:
    >
    > (1)Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
    > (Pub:5/15/04 Rel:12/17/02)
    > (2)Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Win Modem (Pub:8/10/04
    > Rel:12/12/03)
    > (3)Windows XP Driver 5.10.0.5410 for Realtec AC 97 Audio
    > (KB833846 Pub:6/4/2004)
    > (4)S3 Graphics, Inc. - Video - S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    > (Pub:5/17/04 Rel:3/2/04)
    > (5)VIA Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast
    > Ethernet Adapter (Pub:8/3/04 Rel:7/22/04)
    >
    > I guess I will finally install them, unless someone is aware of
    > a reason not to.
    >
    > Does anyone have any warnings about any of these drivers or
    > Windows XP SP2 on these machines?
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Ken Wampach - LastNameATeskimoDOTcom

    From a few of the reviews I've read on SP2, XP is broke and SP2 can't
    fix the key problems in XP security. After all the delays and debate and
    apparently despite MS best efforts, the key issue remains, XP is not fully
    secure.

    KC

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ken,
    > I cannot speak for others, but right now, I have no desire to install SP2
    on
    > my Presario S5200CL, an Athlon XP 2600+. I've had no security issues,
    which
    > is the prime reason MS rolled out SP2. I run both a hardware and software
    > firewall, plus a virus shield and anti-spyware software. and I never open
    > e-mail unless it is scanned first.
    > That said, there may be a time in the future when I would want to install
    > SP2.
    > But, most uimportantly, I'm a firm believer in the "If it ain't broke...."
    > adage.
    > HH
    >
    > "Ken Wampach" <NOSPAM@myisp.com> wrote in message
    > > I am looking for advice prior to installing the Windows XP SP2
    > > service pack.
    > >
    > > I have 2 Compaq Desktops
    > > #1 Compaq Presario S3010CL-B (Sam's Club 7/3/2003) AMD Athlon XP
    > > 2200+
    > > #2 Compaq Presario S5000J (Compaq Direct 9/13/2003) AMD Athlon
    > > XP 2400+
    > >
    > > The machines are Windowx XP SP1 with all Critical Updates
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > I visited the Compaq website and found the "HP and Compaq
    > > Desktop PCs - Important Information for Upgrading to Microsoft
    > > Windows XP Service Pack 2" document. I did the "System Restore
    > > Update". I also did the "Multimedia Keyboard Driver Update",
    > > even though I did not think it was necessary. I haven't observed
    > > any changes in the machines from that one. The rest don't seem
    > > to apply to my machines.
    > >
    > > They did recommend updating drivers prior to installing SP2. I
    > > have been puting off the following driver updates, on the "If it
    > > ain't broke, don't fix it" theory:
    > >
    > > (1)Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
    > > (Pub:5/15/04 Rel:12/17/02)
    > > (2)Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Win Modem (Pub:8/10/04
    > > Rel:12/12/03)
    > > (3)Windows XP Driver 5.10.0.5410 for Realtec AC 97 Audio
    > > (KB833846 Pub:6/4/2004)
    > > (4)S3 Graphics, Inc. - Video - S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    > > (Pub:5/17/04 Rel:3/2/04)
    > > (5)VIA Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast
    > > Ethernet Adapter (Pub:8/3/04 Rel:7/22/04)
    > >
    > > I guess I will finally install them, unless someone is aware of
    > > a reason not to.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any warnings about any of these drivers or
    > > Windows XP SP2 on these machines?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > --
    > > Ken Wampach - LastNameATeskimoDOTcom

    HH,
    Thanks for your comments. I still would like to know if anyone
    has tried
    any of the hardware driver updates I listed with either good or
    bad results.
    > > (1)Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
    > > (Pub:5/15/04 Rel:12/17/02)
    > > (2)Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Win Modem (Pub:8/10/04
    > > Rel:12/12/03)
    > > (3)Windows XP Driver 5.10.0.5410 for Realtec AC 97 Audio
    > > (KB833846 Pub:6/4/2004)
    > > (4)S3 Graphics, Inc. - Video - S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    > > (Pub:5/17/04 Rel:3/2/04)
    > > (5)VIA Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast
    > > Ethernet Adapter (Pub:8/3/04 Rel:7/22/04)
    --
    Ken Wampach - FirstNameLastNameATyahooDOTcom

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ken,
    > I cannot speak for others, but right now, I have no desire to
    install SP2 on
    > my Presario S5200CL, an Athlon XP 2600+. I've had no security
    issues, which
    > is the prime reason MS rolled out SP2. I run both a hardware
    and software
    > firewall, plus a virus shield and anti-spyware software. and I
    never open
    > e-mail unless it is scanned first.
    > That said, there may be a time in the future when I would want
    to install
    > SP2.
    > But, most uimportantly, I'm a firm believer in the "If it
    ain't broke...."
    > adage.
    > HH
    >
    > "Ken Wampach" <NOSPAM@myisp.com> wrote in message
    > > I am looking for advice prior to installing the Windows XP
    SP2
    > > service pack.
    > >
    > > I have 2 Compaq Desktops
    > > #1 Compaq Presario S3010CL-B (Sam's Club 7/3/2003) AMD
    Athlon XP
    > > 2200+
    > > #2 Compaq Presario S5000J (Compaq Direct 9/13/2003) AMD
    Athlon
    > > XP 2400+
    > >
    > > The machines are Windowx XP SP1 with all Critical Updates
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > I visited the Compaq website and found the "HP and Compaq
    > > Desktop PCs - Important Information for Upgrading to
    Microsoft
    > > Windows XP Service Pack 2" document. I did the "System
    Restore
    > > Update". I also did the "Multimedia Keyboard Driver Update",
    > > even though I did not think it was necessary. I haven't
    observed
    > > any changes in the machines from that one. The rest don't
    seem
    > > to apply to my machines.
    > >
    > > They did recommend updating drivers prior to installing SP2.
    > > have been puting off the following driver updates, on the
    "If it
    > > ain't broke, don't fix it" theory:
    > >
    > > (1)Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
    > > (Pub:5/15/04 Rel:12/17/02)
    > > (2)Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Win Modem (Pub:8/10/04
    > > Rel:12/12/03)
    > > (3)Windows XP Driver 5.10.0.5410 for Realtec AC 97 Audio
    > > (KB833846 Pub:6/4/2004)
    > > (4)S3 Graphics, Inc. - Video - S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    > > (Pub:5/17/04 Rel:3/2/04)
    > > (5)VIA Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast
    > > Ethernet Adapter (Pub:8/3/04 Rel:7/22/04)
    > >
    > > I guess I will finally install them, unless someone is aware
    of
    > > a reason not to.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any warnings about any of these drivers or
    > > Windows XP SP2 on these machines?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > --
    > > Ken Wampach - LastNameATeskimoDOTcom

    I applied all of the driver and other updates available through Windows
    Update as they were released. That includes the Agere Win Modem 12/12/03,
    VIA Technologies multimedia (4/23/04 3/17/04 2/11/04 12/19/2003 10/20/2003),
    S3 Graphics display 3/2/04, AMD processor 12/17/02. No problems on my Compaq
    Presario S4020WM with Windows XP Home (SP1). The only thing special I did
    before installing SP2 was to install the recent System Restore update
    available from the Compaq/HP website, so that prior restore points would
    still work if needed. Then I applied the SP2 update yesterday using the free
    CD from Staples. No problems.

    I went to great pains to totally disable all software before running the SP2
    update, including my firewall and anti-virus. I don't know if that was
    necessary but didn't want to take chances.

    Note: apparently the 12/12/03 Agere modem update put a new item in my
    msconfig startup list "LTMSG.EXE" which I worried about for awhile, but
    believe it's probably OK. I tried turning it off, and my connection
    throughput speed was poor. Then turned it back on, and things are normal
    again. That's not proven absolutely, just a one time observation and some
    assumptions. I try not to keep any startup items unless their value is
    proven, but of course there are uncertainties about some of them.
    -E

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > They did recommend updating drivers prior to installing SP2.
    >> > have been puting off the following driver updates, on the
    > "If it
    >> > ain't broke, don't fix it" theory:
    >> >
    >> > (1)Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
    >> > (Pub:5/15/04 Rel:12/17/02)
    >> > (2)Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Win Modem (Pub:8/10/04
    >> > Rel:12/12/03)
    >> > (3)Windows XP Driver 5.10.0.5410 for Realtec AC 97 Audio
    >> > (KB833846 Pub:6/4/2004)
    >> > (4)S3 Graphics, Inc. - Video - S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    >> > (Pub:5/17/04 Rel:3/2/04)
    >> > (5)VIA Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast
    >> > Ethernet Adapter (Pub:8/3/04 Rel:7/22/04)
    >> >
    >> > I guess I will finally install them, unless someone is aware
    > of
    >> > a reason not to.
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone have any warnings about any of these drivers or

    Euclid,
    Thanks for the information. I believe your machine is a close
    cousin
    to mine, so I will try installing most of the driver updates. I
    may skip
    the modem one, since we have cable high-speed internet and
    rarely
    use the modems.
    --

    "Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > Ken Wampach - FirstNameLastNameATyahooDOTcom
    > >
    > > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Ken,
    > >> I cannot speak for others, but right now, I have no desire
    > > install SP2 on
    > >> my Presario S5200CL, an Athlon XP 2600+. I've had no
    security
    > > issues, which
    > >> is the prime reason MS rolled out SP2. I run both a
    hardware
    > > and software
    > >> firewall, plus a virus shield and anti-spyware software.
    and I
    > > never open
    > >> e-mail unless it is scanned first.
    > >> That said, there may be a time in the future when I would
    want
    > > to install
    > >> SP2.
    > >> But, most uimportantly, I'm a firm believer in the "If it

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

> [...]
    > are normal
    >> again. That's not proven absolutely, just a one time
    > observation and some
    >> assumptions. I try not to keep any startup items unless their
    > value is
    >> proven, but of course there are uncertainties about some of
    > them.
    >> -E
    >>

    >> "Ken Wampach" <NOSPAM@myisp.com> wrote in message
    >> > HH,
    >> > Thanks for your comments. I still would like to know if
    > anyone
    >> > has tried
    >> > any of the hardware driver updates I listed with either good
    > or
    >> > bad results.
    > Processor
    >> > --
    >> > Ken Wampach - FirstNameLastNameATyahooDOTcom

    Always decline any driver updates offered by Windows Update. Check with
    Compaq support if you see a driver update. There are far too many
    problems reported with these WU drivers. Some are applicable as
    advertised, many are not. Those who do use the WU drivers often report
    significant problems.

    Drivers are not the main issue with SP2. IMO, from the reports of
    problems on the microsoft news servers, the source is failing to clean
    up computers prior to installation. Complete virus scan from Safe Mode.
    Complete Disk Cleanup. Defrag. If the folder i386 exists on the
    computer or you have a true XP install CD (not a restore CD), then run
    sfc /scannow from a command prompt to verify all existing files for
    backup during the installation. Clear out old system restore points and
    make a final SP1 restore point. Back up personal files. Before
    installing check your vendor for driver updates. Before installing,
    disable all background programs except for anti-virus and firewall.
    Disable these also and disconnect from the internet if installing from a
    local SP2 update file. Disconnect peripheral devices like printers and
    USB devices before the install.

    If the SP2 install fails, do not use system restore before trying
    Add/Remove programs to remove SP2.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    > Always decline any driver updates offered by Windows Update. Check with
    > Compaq support if you see a driver update. There are far too many
    > problems reported with these WU drivers. Some are applicable as
    > advertised, many are not. Those who do use the WU drivers often report
    > significant problems.

    I've heard this same advice from other respected experts, however... I've
    installed all of the WU driver updates offered for my Compaq Presario
    S4020WM since I bought it a year ago at Walmart. No problems so far. It's a
    really convenient method, and personally I tend to trust Microsoft more than
    Compaq/HP in such regards.

    Microsoft only offers selected driver updates, presumably only those that
    interact with their Windows op system and office products. Most driver
    updates have to be obtained elsewhere such as at the Compaq/HP website or
    manufacturers websites, and that requires research as well as technical
    judgements. A lot of people don't have the time nor ability to keep updated,
    so the WU method is easiest.
    -E
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    >> Always decline any driver updates offered by Windows Update. Check
    >> with Compaq support if you see a driver update. There are far too
    >> many problems reported with these WU drivers. Some are applicable as
    >> advertised, many are not. Those who do use the WU drivers often
    >> report significant problems.
    >
    > I've heard this same advice from other respected experts, however...
    > I've installed all of the WU driver updates offered for my Compaq
    > Presario S4020WM since I bought it a year ago at Walmart. No problems
    > so far. It's a really convenient method, and personally I tend to
    > trust Microsoft more than Compaq/HP in such regards.
    >
    > Microsoft only offers selected driver updates, presumably only those
    > that interact with their Windows op system and office products. Most
    > driver updates have to be obtained elsewhere such as at the Compaq/HP
    > website or manufacturers websites, and that requires research as well
    > as technical judgements. A lot of people don't have the time nor
    > ability to keep updated, so the WU method is easiest.
    > -E

    You have been extremely lucky using WU for drivers. The microsoft
    support NGs are replete with failed driver updates, many requiring an OS
    repair/reinstall to correct. Microsoft does not warrant any driver
    update; they supply the function as a convenience to vendors. Microsoft
    does not develop the drivers they supply on WU (unless it is a Microsoft
    product); the applicability is determined by the developer who might not
    have taken any HPAQ proprietary requirements into consideration. HPAQ
    is notorious for making OEM mods to their computers which can make the
    vendor's driver fail the OS or the device. Get to know the support site
    for your computer and check it regularly. Even the Microsoft MVP's
    recommend against using WU for driver updates.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    I allowed Windows Update to install updated audio drivers on my Presario
    S5200CL and the audio started breaking up. Rolling back to the Compaq
    supplied Realtek drivers put it right again.
    HH

    > "Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
    > >> Always decline any driver updates offered by Windows Update. Check
    > >> with Compaq support if you see a driver update. There are far too
    > >> many problems reported with these WU drivers. Some are applicable as
    > >> advertised, many are not. Those who do use the WU drivers often
    > >> report significant problems.
    > >
    > > I've heard this same advice from other respected experts, however...
    > > I've installed all of the WU driver updates offered for my Compaq
    > > Presario S4020WM since I bought it a year ago at Walmart. No problems
    > > so far. It's a really convenient method, and personally I tend to
    > > trust Microsoft more than Compaq/HP in such regards.
    > >
    > > Microsoft only offers selected driver updates, presumably only those
    > > that interact with their Windows op system and office products. Most
    > > driver updates have to be obtained elsewhere such as at the Compaq/HP
    > > website or manufacturers websites, and that requires research as well
    > > as technical judgements. A lot of people don't have the time nor
    > > ability to keep updated, so the WU method is easiest.
    > > -E
    > >

    > You have been extremely lucky using WU for drivers. The microsoft
    > support NGs are replete with failed driver updates, many requiring an OS
    > repair/reinstall to correct. Microsoft does not warrant any driver
    > update; they supply the function as a convenience to vendors. Microsoft
    > does not develop the drivers they supply on WU (unless it is a Microsoft
    > product); the applicability is determined by the developer who might not
    > have taken any HPAQ proprietary requirements into consideration. HPAQ
    > is notorious for making OEM mods to their computers which can make the
    > vendor's driver fail the OS or the device. Get to know the support site
    > for your computer and check it regularly. Even the Microsoft MVP's
    > recommend against using WU for driver updates.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    I've never had any problems with the driver updates,but the size of
    SP2(over 70 mbs)made me leery,it's obviously a major change.I started
    looking for info on it before trying it out,and found the various Microsoft
    newsgroups absolutely swamped with hundreds of complaints about the damage
    this update has caused to systems.I think MS rushed this service pack out
    without proper testing because of problems with security in XP,and it's full
    of bugs.It's more a beta version than a finished product,and XP users are
    being used as test subjects.Considering the miminal benefits it offers,this
    update isn't worth the risk.

    > I allowed Windows Update to install updated audio drivers on my Presario
    > S5200CL and the audio started breaking up. Rolling back to the Compaq
    > supplied Realtek drivers put it right again.
    > HH

    > > "Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I've heard this same advice from other respected experts, however...
    > > > I've installed all of the WU driver updates offered for my Compaq
    > > > Presario S4020WM since I bought it a year ago at Walmart. No problems
    > > > so far. It's a really convenient method, and personally I tend to
    > > > trust Microsoft more than Compaq/HP in such regards.
    > > >
    > > > Microsoft only offers selected driver updates, presumably only those
    > > > that interact with their Windows op system and office products. Most
    > > > driver updates have to be obtained elsewhere such as at the Compaq/HP
    > > > website or manufacturers websites, and that requires research as well
    > > > as technical judgements. A lot of people don't have the time nor
    > > > ability to keep updated, so the WU method is easiest.
    > > > -E
    > > >

    > > You have been extremely lucky using WU for drivers. The microsoft
    > > support NGs are replete with failed driver updates, many requiring an OS
    > > repair/reinstall to correct. Microsoft does not warrant any driver
    > > update; they supply the function as a convenience to vendors. Microsoft
    > > does not develop the drivers they supply on WU (unless it is a Microsoft
    > > product); the applicability is determined by the developer who might not
    > > have taken any HPAQ proprietary requirements into consideration. HPAQ
    > > is notorious for making OEM mods to their computers which can make the
    > > vendor's driver fail the OS or the device. Get to know the support site
    > > for your computer and check it regularly. Even the Microsoft MVP's
    > > recommend against using WU for driver updates.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    I don't agree. The security updates alone are worth the upgrade. There are
    literally millions of people that have upgraded without problems.

    Tom
    "Gojira" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've never had any problems with the driver updates,but the size of
    > SP2(over 70 mbs)made me leery,it's obviously a major change.I started
    > looking for info on it before trying it out,and found the various
    > Microsoft
    > newsgroups absolutely swamped with hundreds of complaints about the damage
    > this update has caused to systems.I think MS rushed this service pack out
    > without proper testing because of problems with security in XP,and it's
    > full
    > of bugs.It's more a beta version than a finished product,and XP users are
    > being used as test subjects.Considering the miminal benefits it
    > offers,this
    > update isn't worth the risk.
    >
    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I allowed Windows Update to install updated audio drivers on my Presario
    >> S5200CL and the audio started breaking up. Rolling back to the Compaq
    >> supplied Realtek drivers put it right again.
    >> HH
    >>
    >> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message

    >> > You have been extremely lucky using WU for drivers. The microsoft
    >> > support NGs are replete with failed driver updates, many requiring an
    >> > OS
    >> > repair/reinstall to correct. Microsoft does not warrant any driver
    >> > update; they supply the function as a convenience to vendors.
    >> > Microsoft
    >> > does not develop the drivers they supply on WU (unless it is a
    >> > Microsoft
    >> > product); the applicability is determined by the developer who might
    >> > not
    >> > have taken any HPAQ proprietary requirements into consideration. HPAQ
    >> > is notorious for making OEM mods to their computers which can make the
    >> > vendor's driver fail the OS or the device. Get to know the support
    >> > site
    >> > for your computer and check it regularly. Even the Microsoft MVP's
    >> > recommend against using WU for driver updates.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    But if he happens to be one of the unfortunates that has severe problems,
    will you fix his computer for him?

    I have never yet seen an upgrade from MS that being cautious caused major
    problems.

    My philosophy to let guys like you, that need the latest and greatest, take
    the risk.

    > I don't agree. The security updates alone are worth the upgrade. There
    are
    > literally millions of people that have upgraded without problems.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Gojira" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I've never had any problems with the driver updates,but the size of
    > > SP2(over 70 mbs)made me leery,it's obviously a major change.I started
    > > looking for info on it before trying it out,and found the various
    > > Microsoft
    > > newsgroups absolutely swamped with hundreds of complaints about the
    damage
    > > this update has caused to systems.I think MS rushed this service pack
    out
    > > without proper testing because of problems with security in XP,and it's
    > > full
    > > of bugs.It's more a beta version than a finished product,and XP users
    are
    > > being used as test subjects.Considering the miminal benefits it
    > > offers,this
    > > update isn't worth the risk.
    > >
    > > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> I allowed Windows Update to install updated audio drivers on my
    Presario
    > >> S5200CL and the audio started breaking up. Rolling back to the Compaq
    > >> supplied Realtek drivers put it right again.
    > >> HH
    > >>
    > >> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

    Check

    Most