Travel router recommendations?

I've been thinking about getting a pocket-sized wireless router for
travel, so I'm not physically tied down to the Ethernet connection the
hotel provides.

I like the Linksys WTR54GS ($85 from Amazon) over competing D-Link,
3Com, and Netgear models because of its integrated power plug and how
its Broadcom chipset offers the potential for using the third-party
firmware I enjoy on my home WRT54G once their authors include support
for it. That said, given that I'd only be using the travel router for
no more than a few weeks each year, firmware support is not greatly
vital. Any other suggestions?

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *

Homemade 2.8TB RAID 5 storage array:
<URL:http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=slrnd1g04a.5mt.ylee%40pobox.com>

Here is a review for what it is worth :

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-199-ProdID-H2H3-2.php

William P. N. Smith wrote:
> Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
> >I've been thinking about getting a pocket-sized wireless router for
>
> I've been pretty happy with my WiFlyer, because it works as a wired
> router (so I can splice it in to a client's existing machine). I
> haven't used it in dialup mode, but it's conceptually interesting that
> it can work that way. The only downsides are 802.11B mode (which
> doesn't matter when sharing most internet connections) and lack of
> WPA, but for travel use that's not evil.
>
> The Netgear WGR101 wasn't bad (and was the first one available), but
> is physically a little larger.
>
> The Apple Airport Express is a nice little box, though I left that
> with my mother-in-law (have another one on order). It's only foible
> is the lack of Web-based administration, but that's a nit. It's got
> USB printer support and line (and optical) audio output for use with
> iTunes, which is an interesting hack.
>
> Haven't fondled the Linksys, D-Link, or 3Com models, thought the
> Linksys WWWebsite says theirs is "coming soon", I'll never buy another
> DLink product, and the 3Com looks remarkably like the NetGear.

evert

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
evert.meulie.net

As a travel-size wireless ap nothing beats the Asus WL330 & WL330-G...

E.

"frankdowling1@yahoo.com" <frankdowling1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-199-ProdID-H2H3-2.php

The OP was looking at the WTR54GS, FWIW. The Linksys site says
"Coming Soon", but the Amazon page has (some mediocre) customer
reviews, so my brain hurts! 8*)