Can't schedule a batch file to run in the XP Pro Scheduler

I want to automate the backup of our Retail Management Software database
file. The Partner who installed it wrote a batch file, which works fine, but
he put it in the Scheduler and it never runs. I did the obvious, checked for
correct user name and password, etc. The process kicks off, says it is
working, but never terminates and does not actually run the batch file.

I tried calling the batch file with cmd.exe, but that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions?

--
Bud Izen

If the bat file does not work from cmd, how will it work by scheduling it?

You might want to look at the whole article, esp. Examples of Backup Batch
Files

How to schedule unattended backups by using a stand-alone tape library
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314844

Scheduled Backup Jobs May Not Run As Expected

Scheduled Backups May Hang After Mounting Tape

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3B65874C-40AB-4951-960E-34B21FA5AF8B@microsoft.com,
Bud Izen <BudIzen@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I want to automate the backup of our Retail Management Software database
> file. The Partner who installed it wrote a batch file, which works fine,
> but he put it in the Scheduler and it never runs. I did the obvious,
> checked for correct user name and password, etc. The process kicks off,
> says it is working, but never terminates and does not actually run the
> batch file.
>
> I tried calling the batch file with cmd.exe, but that doesn't work either.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Bud Izen

I wasn't sufficiently clear. The bat file runs great on its own, from the
command window or a shortcut on the desktop. Each of the individual commands
runs great if run directly in the command window preceded by the cmd.exe
(shell). BUT no matter what I do, I cannot seem to automate the execution of
the batch file.

Hope that is more clear. Thanks!
--
Bud Izen

"Bud Izen" <BudIzen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to automate the backup of our Retail Management Software database
> file. The Partner who installed it wrote a batch file, which works fine,
> but
> he put it in the Scheduler and it never runs. I did the obvious, checked
> for
> correct user name and password, etc. The process kicks off, says it is
> working, but never terminates and does not actually run the batch file.
>
> I tried calling the batch file with cmd.exe, but that doesn't work either.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Bud Izen

Lacking other suggestions would you consider a $30.00 program?

I have been using Second Copy since Win 98 days when it would do a complete
backup of the OS.
Still use it regularly for many automated tasks.
Several options and also supports UNC.

No connection to the product other than a happy user.

http://www.centered.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly evaluate the program, but I
still would like to find a solution that is integrated into the OS. Why
doesn't the XP task scheduler handle batch files?
--
Bud Izen

"HappyUser" wrote:

> "Bud Izen" <BudIzen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to automate the backup of our Retail Management Software database
> > file. The Partner who installed it wrote a batch file, which works fine,
> > but
> > he put it in the Scheduler and it never runs. I did the obvious, checked
> > for
> > correct user name and password, etc. The process kicks off, says it is
> > working, but never terminates and does not actually run the batch file.
> >
> > I tried calling the batch file with cmd.exe, but that doesn't work either.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Bud Izen
>
> Lacking other suggestions would you consider a $30.00 program?
>
> I have been using Second Copy since Win 98 days when it would do a complete
> backup of the OS.
> Still use it regularly for many automated tasks.
> Several options and also supports UNC.
>
> No connection to the product other than a happy user.
>
> http://www.centered.com/

I am not an old DOS user but my best guess is that there is a problem with
the path.
You said it runs OK but not from CMD window.
Is the batch file in windows, system32 or root of OS drive?
cmd.exe should run a bat file if it is in one of the above places or if you
specify the path to the item you want to execute.

> Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly evaluate the program, but I
> still would like to find a solution that is integrated into the OS. Why
> doesn't the XP task scheduler handle batch files?
> --
> Bud Izen
>

> "HappyUser" wrote:
>

>> "Bud Izen" <BudIzen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to automate the backup of our Retail Management Software database
>> > file. The Partner who installed it wrote a batch file, which works
>> > fine,
>> > but
>> > he put it in the Scheduler and it never runs. I did the obvious,
>> > checked
>> > for
>> > correct user name and password, etc. The process kicks off, says it is
>> > working, but never terminates and does not actually run the batch file.
>> >
>> > I tried calling the batch file with cmd.exe, but that doesn't work
>> > either.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Bud Izen
>>
>> Lacking other suggestions would you consider a $30.00 program?
>>
>> I have been using Second Copy since Win 98 days when it would do a
>> complete
>> backup of the OS.
>> Still use it regularly for many automated tasks.
>> Several options and also supports UNC.
>>
>> No connection to the product other than a happy user.
>>
>> http://www.centered.com/

I guess I am still not being sufficiently clear. The command (batch file,
called backup.bat) runs fine manually, either being called from a shortcut on
the desktop or from the command window directly. What does NOT run fine is
when I try to call the backup.bat batch file from the Windows XP task
scheduler (Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks). I don't get any errors. In fact,
when called, it actually says it is running, but nothing is visible on the
screen, the actual commands in the batch file do NOT execute, and the task
never terminates (it should only take about three minutes to run). I sure
hope this makes my problem crystal clear.
--
Bud Izen

"TryingToHelp" wrote:

> I am not an old DOS user but my best guess is that there is a problem with
> the path.
> You said it runs OK but not from CMD window.
> Is the batch file in windows, system32 or root of OS drive?
> cmd.exe should run a bat file if it is in one of the above places or if you
> specify the path to the item you want to execute.
>

> "Bud Izen" <BudIzen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly evaluate the program, but I
> > still would like to find a solution that is integrated into the OS. Why
> > doesn't the XP task scheduler handle batch files?
> > --
> > Bud Izen
> >

> > "HappyUser" wrote:
> >

> >> "Bud Izen" <BudIzen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Lacking other suggestions would you consider a $30.00 program?
> >>
> >> I have been using Second Copy since Win 98 days when it would do a
> >> complete
> >> backup of the OS.
> >> Still use it regularly for many automated tasks.
> >> Several options and also supports UNC.
> >>
> >> No connection to the product other than a happy user.
> >>
> >> http://www.centered.com/

Check the "Properties" of the Scheduled Task. What folder is specified as
the "Start in:" folder? Windows scheduler will look in C:\Windows and
C:\windows\system32. If your backup program called in the BAT file is in
D:\mybackup then you need that folder in the "start in" box. TryingtoHelp is
correct that the path is important in the TaskScheduler.
You may want to add the folder to your PATH:

BTW, do all other scheduled tasks run as scheduled or is this the only task
trying to run? What is shown in C:\WINDOWS\SchedLog.Txt?

Also look at the Security tab while in "Properties". Are all needed
permissions granted to run?
Are the "Settings" set correctly?
Also look in Explorer and right-click the BAT file itself and check that all
permissions need to run are granted there.

--
Remove nospam in email

Thank you Phydeaux.
You dragged me from the dark into the light.
The link you provided is worth it's weight in ???/something.
I had the same problem ( different program but same idea) as Bud but never
found the missing link you provided.
Thanks again.

Phydeaux Wrote:
> [...]
> he put it in the Scheduler and it never runs. I did the obvious,
> checked
> for
> correct user name and password, etc. The process kicks off, says
> it is working, but never terminates and does not actually run the
> batch file.
>
> I tried calling the batch file with cmd.exe, but that doesn't work
> either.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Bud Izen
>
> Lacking other suggestions would you consider a $30.00 program?
>
> I have been using Second Copy since Win 98 days when it would do a
> complete
> backup of the OS.
> Still use it regularly for many automated tasks.
> Several options and also supports UNC.
>
> No connection to the product other than a happy user.

Hi there

this is not the solution to ur problem but an alternative to backup. if
u wud like to take a backup at every system startup then u can do
this....

Go to start->run. type 'regedit'

once the registry editor opens up. go to HKEY_Local
Machine->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Current Version->run. in that
key make a new string value and name it as 'backup' or anyother name.
then right click on it and select modify. in the box that comes up,
enter the path of ur batch file. exit the program now.... this done, u
can have backup at every system start, hope this was helpful

--
asim662

Second Copy will not do the job. In the batch file, I delete the previous
backup copy (of the SQL Server database). Once the backup file is deleted, I
issue a SQL Server command to issue a new backup copy. I then copy that
backup file to three places - one on the same computer, one on another
computer's hard disk, and one on the zip drive of another computer.

The path of the batch file is in the root directory (Desktop), and the path,
as such, is definitely sited in the reference of the Scheduler. I give the
administrative password in the Scheduler. Other tasks run just fine, but this
batch file, as indicated, says that is running, but in fact never runs.

I am out of state at the moment, but will examine the rights issues upon my
return. It's a good suggestion, and I believe I have already addressed the
rights issues, but not being able to see the computer, I will hold off until
my return. I'll be back next Monday to look at this further.

In the meantime, if anyone else has further suggestions, I am still wide
open to hear them.

I take it that, generally speaking, there should be no problem running the
batch file.

I have a further question, then. If anyone runs this batch file manually,
by, say, double clicking it on the desktop, it opens a command (DOS) window,
and you can watch the commands echo to the screen as they run. If the same
batch file is exectued from the Scheduler, should I still see the command
window and commands echoing to the screen, or does running from the Scheduler
automatically disable the screen echo?

Thanks again for all your help with this.

--
Bud Izen