mug

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2005

Running defrag I get a message that says: Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.
the report states they are MFP files so how can they be defraged??
Tried from DOS, safe mode same thing after market software same deal so now
what??

Did you mean MFT instead of MFP?

Files That You Cannot Defragment
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ldtg.asp

If not, what are MFP files?

*.mfp = Macromedia Flash Paper

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:6BA5B43B-9391-4CA2-ADB3-8E6006EEEDE8@microsoft.com,
mug <mug@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Running defrag I get a message that says: Defragmentation is complete
> for: (C:)
>
> Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
> Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.
> the report states they are MFP files so how can they be defraged??
> Tried from DOS, safe mode same thing after market software same deal so
> now what??

Are you sure they need to be defragmented?

Ted Zieglar

"mug" <mug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BA5B43B-9391-4CA2-ADB3-8E6006EEEDE8@microsoft.com...
> Running defrag I get a message that says: Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)
>
> Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
> Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.
> the report states they are MFP files so how can they be defraged??
> Tried from DOS, safe mode same thing after market software same deal so now
> what??

The defragger that comes with XP is a "lite" version of Diskeeper. If you
want to defrag the MFT and maybe directories, think about getting the full
version of Diskeeper by Executive software, or a similar product like
Perfect Disk by Raxco.