Defrag XP PRO

Running defrag I get a message that says: Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.
the report states they are MFP files so how can they be defraged??
Tried from DOS, safe mode same thing after market software same deal so now
what??
3 answers Last reply
More about defrag

    Did you mean MFT instead of MFP?

    Files That You Cannot Defragment
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ldtg.asp

    If not, what are MFP files?

    *.mfp = Macromedia Flash Paper

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:6BA5B43B-9391-4CA2-ADB3-8E6006EEEDE8@microsoft.com,
    mug <mug@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Running defrag I get a message that says: Defragmentation is complete
    > for: (C:)
    >
    > Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
    > Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.
    > the report states they are MFP files so how can they be defraged??
    > Tried from DOS, safe mode same thing after market software same deal so
    > now what??

    Are you sure they need to be defragmented?

    Ted Zieglar

    "mug" <mug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BA5B43B-9391-4CA2-ADB3-8E6006EEEDE8@microsoft.com...
    > Running defrag I get a message that says: Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)
    >
    > Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
    > Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.
    > the report states they are MFP files so how can they be defraged??
    > Tried from DOS, safe mode same thing after market software same deal so now
    > what??

    The defragger that comes with XP is a "lite" version of Diskeeper. If you
    want to defrag the MFT and maybe directories, think about getting the full
    version of Diskeeper by Executive software, or a similar product like
    Perfect Disk by Raxco.

    "mug" <mug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Running defrag I get a message that says: Defragmentation is complete for:
    > (C:)
    >
    > Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
    > Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.
    > the report states they are MFP files so how can they be defraged??
    > Tried from DOS, safe mode same thing after market software same deal so
    > now
    > what??

Defragment Microsoft Windows XP