graeme

I have recently attempted to upgrade my ram from 256mb to 768mb by adding a
512mb stick, however my computer now says I only have 512mb of ram. Is my
computer only reading one stick or is it possible that my max. ram is only
512mb? How would I find out my max. ram and could i be able to change
something around so I could get the full 768mb.

What motherboard do you have?

Check to see that the motherboard does not have a ram limitation.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Graeme" <Graeme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently attempted to upgrade my ram from 256mb to 768mb by adding a
> 512mb stick, however my computer now says I only have 512mb of ram. Is my
> computer only reading one stick or is it possible that my max. ram is only
> 512mb? How would I find out my max. ram and could i be able to change
> something around so I could get the full 768mb.

Graeme <Graeme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have recently attempted to upgrade my ram from 256mb to 768mb by adding a
>512mb stick, however my computer now says I only have 512mb of ram. Is my
>computer only reading one stick or is it possible that my max. ram is only
>512mb? How would I find out my max. ram and could i be able to change
>something around so I could get the full 768mb.

Several possibilities:

First thing to try is removing the old 256 mb and booting the computer
with just the new 512 mb.

How much does the machine now report - 256 mb or 512 mb?

If it reports 256 mb then you are probably using PC133 SDRAM, of which
there are two types. Your machine apparently requires the older low
density (double sided) PC133 modules and your new module is high
density. You need to exchange it for a low density module, which will
probably cost you double the price of the high density module.

If it reports 512 mb then your problem may be caused by an entry in
the BOOT.INI file. Used Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the BOOT.INI
tab. Click on the Advanced options button and make sure that the
checkbox for the /MAXMEM= line is clear and that there is no entry in
the data box for this line.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> What motherboard do you have?
>
> Check to see that the motherboard does not have a ram
> limitation.
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Graeme" <Graeme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently attempted to upgrade my ram from 256mb to
> 768mb by adding a
> > 512mb stick, however my computer now says I only have 512mb
> of ram. Is my
> > computer only reading one stick or is it possible that my
> max. ram is only
> > 512mb? How would I find out my max. ram and could i be able
> to change
> > something around so I could get the full 768mb.

It’s not nessaseryly your max, it is posible that the RAM is too
deanse for your motherborad, for example, if the RAM you have only has
chips on one side that must mean they are 64MB per chip, and since
only half the RAM is detected it must mean your motherborad suppots
max chip desity of 32MB.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-RAM-ftopict417124.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1391416