restoring user profile

Unfortunately I created a mistake of renaming my document and settings folder
and its documents' folder to update it to a more applicable name. As a result
a new default user profile was created. How can I revert back so my user
account opens the former user profile instead of the new one?
7 answers Last reply
More about restoring user profile

    try using the system restore facility

    "hpum" <hpum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately I created a mistake of renaming my document and settings
    > folder
    > and its documents' folder to update it to a more applicable name. As a
    > result
    > a new default user profile was created. How can I revert back so my user
    > account opens the former user profile instead of the new one?

    I did but strangely I was surprise it didn't then solve my problem; when I
    tried to undo, it didn't let me. Somehow, I even notice it restoring back to
    a much earlier date then the restore point I chose

    hpum wrote:
    > I did but strangely I was surprise it didn't then solve my problem;
    > when I tried to undo, it didn't let me. Somehow, I even notice it
    > restoring back to a much earlier date then the restore point I chose

    This thing confounds me almost as much as those who worry solely about how
    long their PC takes to boot.. In the long run it just doesn't matter as
    long as your PC runs happily.

    1) Create another administrative level user.
    2) Reboot.
    3) Log on as the new administrative user.
    4) Rename the profile that was created for your user when first renamed the
    directory.
    5) Rename the profile you renamed earlier to the name of the directory you
    just changed the name of.. (If the directory you just renamed in the last
    step was "hpum.000", then rename the originally directory to "hpum.000" now.
    6) Reboot
    7) Try logging in as the user in question now.

    There's also a method for pointing the profile to another profile
    directory - but let's start with this.. =)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I did but I got the inevitable error "Cannot rename a user profile with the a
    name that already exist. Specify a different file name" Shall we try the
    pointing method now

    hpum wrote:
    > I did but I got the inevitable error "Cannot rename a user profile
    > with the a name that already exist. Specify a different file name"
    > Shall we try the pointing method now

    You mustn't have followed the directions then..

    Try again.. Do not skip any steps..
    I will give more detail..

    1) Create another administrative level user.
    (for example, create a user named "oops" and give him admin rights.)

    2) Reboot. Very Important.

    3) Log on as the new administrative user. (as "oops"...)

    4) Rename the profile that was created for your user when first renamed the
    directory.
    5) Rename the profile you renamed earlier to the name of the directory you
    just changed the name of.. (If the directory you just renamed in the last
    step was "hpum.000", then rename the originally directory to "hpum.000" now.
    (You likely have the renamed user account directory and the user account
    directory that is currently being used in C:\Documents and Settings\.
    What you want to do is to rename the new directory that was created
    after you renamed the old directory and logged in again. So, if you
    had
    the userrname "owner" before and you renamed the C:\documents and
    settings\owner folder to c:\documents and settings\myuser, it likely
    created the "owner" folder again and started using it. So now you have
    an "owner" folder and the renamed folder. Rename the "owner" folder
    that Windows created after you renamed the original to "mybad" and
    rename the folder you originally renamed to "owner" (substitute actual
    names where appropriate.)

    6) Reboot

    7) Try logging in as the user in question now.

    If that doesn't work - you could be fubar and you really only need the
    documents and stuff from the folder - copy them to your new profile and
    consider this a lesson learned. You should have googled for renaming a user
    profile.. The proper method would have been to create a new user, reboot,
    log on as the new user, log off, log on as your old user and use FAST to
    export the settings, log off, log back on as the new user and use FAST to
    import the settings. (At least that is one method that would have gotten
    you the renamed directory you want with everything intact.)

    The profiles - where they are stored anyway - is a location in the
    registry..

    Start -> RUN -> regedit

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

    Look for the SID (the really nasty looking number starting with S-1-5
    usually) folder that when you select it on the left and look on the right in
    the value for "ProfileImagePath" has the value for the user you want to
    change. Change that to be the path you want it to be.. and then close
    the regedit and reboot.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP