Can I make phone calls with just a Verizon data plan?

Last response: in Network Providers
January 25, 2005 11:22:00 PM

I'm considering a Verizon data plan ($80/month for unlimited MB).
Reading the brochure, it lists a 25 cents/minute rate for "Other Data
Services (e.g. Quick 2 Net, dial up connections)"

I like the Audiovox 6600 and would like to use that as a wireless modem
for my laptop. It would mostly be used for that, but I would also like
to be able to make and receive occasional phone calls with the 6600. I
don't mind paying 25 cents/minute for the voice phone service, as my
voice needs would be minimal.

Since my voice needs are so low, I really can't justify $35/month for a
voice plan on top of the $80/month for the data plan.

Can anyone advise if this will work? I'm also curious what voice
"goodies" if any I would have access to, like call forwarding, voice
mail, caller ID, etc.

Thanks,

Tom
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:33:30 PM

Verizon does have "special" $25 and $15 voice plans, just ask. If the
salesperson you talk to claims to know nothing of such plans just ask to
speak to a supervisor.

<adlertom@juno.com> wrote in message
> I'm considering a Verizon data plan ($80/month for unlimited MB).
> Reading the brochure, it lists a 25 cents/minute rate for "Other Data
> Services (e.g. Quick 2 Net, dial up connections)"
>
> I like the Audiovox 6600 and would like to use that as a wireless modem
> for my laptop. It would mostly be used for that, but I would also like
> to be able to make and receive occasional phone calls with the 6600. I
> don't mind paying 25 cents/minute for the voice phone service, as my
> voice needs would be minimal.
>
> Since my voice needs are so low, I really can't justify $35/month for a
> voice plan on top of the $80/month for the data plan.
>
> Can anyone advise if this will work? I'm also curious what voice
> "goodies" if any I would have access to, like call forwarding, voice
> mail, caller ID, etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:19:45 PM

<adlertom@juno.com> wrote in message
> I'm considering a Verizon data plan ($80/month for unlimited MB).
> Reading the brochure, it lists a 25 cents/minute rate for "Other Data
> Services (e.g. Quick 2 Net, dial up connections)"
>
> I like the Audiovox 6600 and would like to use that as a wireless modem
> for my laptop. It would mostly be used for that, but I would also like
> to be able to make and receive occasional phone calls with the 6600. I
> don't mind paying 25 cents/minute for the voice phone service, as my
> voice needs would be minimal.
>
> Since my voice needs are so low, I really can't justify $35/month for a
> voice plan on top of the $80/month for the data plan.
>
> Can anyone advise if this will work? I'm also curious what voice
> "goodies" if any I would have access to, like call forwarding, voice
> mail, caller ID, etc.
>
> Thanks,

For the 6600, you can get the PDA/Smartphone plan for $49/month for
unlimited 1x and EVDO data and .25/minute voice, or you can add the
Smartphone/PDA plan to any voice plan for $44/month.

The $79 plan is really designed for the data cards where they expect the
data to really be connected and active 24x7 and typically moving more data
then a PDA/Smartphone even with occasional use as a laptop modem.

Alan
January 26, 2005 10:07:22 PM

"Alan Burnstine" <nospam@thetechguru.net> wrote in message
>> For the 6600, you can get the PDA/Smartphone plan for $49/month for
> unlimited 1x and EVDO data and .25/minute voice, or you can add the
> Smartphone/PDA plan to any voice plan for $44/month.
>
> The $79 plan is really designed for the data cards where they expect the
> data to really be connected and active 24x7 and typically moving more data
> then a PDA/Smartphone even with occasional use as a laptop modem.

So are you saying that for the PDA plan, you get the same type broadband
access to your PDA phone that the $79 plan provides?
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:08:40 PM

Thanks to Julie and Alan for the info.

It does seem odd that that $49 PDA plan would provide the same
functionality as the $79 data plan. I hope there isn't a catch!
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:45:39 PM

adlertom@juno.com wrote:
> Thanks to Julie and Alan for the info.
>
> It does seem odd that that $49 PDA plan would provide the same
> functionality as the $79 data plan. I hope there isn't a catch!

There is... BIG ones....
Below is from the "fine print" about that plan... If none of it applies to
you, great! But be aware that there are limitations and gotchas...

Unlimited PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans: Data sessions within the
National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area may be used with wireless
devices for following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; and
(iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, e-mail and
individual productivity applications like customer relationship management,
sales force and field service automation. Intranet access requires the
BlackBerry Enterprise Server.). Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess
cannot be used with server devices or with host computer applications other
than the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Examples of such prohibited uses
include, without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts, continuous jpeg
file transfers, automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated
functions or any other machine-to-machine applications. Such data sessions
cannot be used as substitute for private lines or frame relay connections.
Data sessions within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area
automatically terminate after two hours of inactivity unless used with a
Mobile IP?capable device. We reserve right to deny or terminate service,
without notice, to anyone who uses NationalAccess or BroadbandAccess in any
manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or
service levels. We also reserve right to terminate service upon expiration
of Customer Agreement term. BroadbandAccess kilobyte usage may not appear on
your bill.

Summary (the big one)
Intranet access requires the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
cannot be used with server devices or with host computer applications other
than the BlackBerry Enterprise Server

For other "gotchya's, read the text to see if it applies...
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:56:54 PM

Clarification...
Note that the "fine print" includes INTRAnet.... that's *NOT* the same as
the INTERnet. INTRAnets are usually used on company systems. Two seperate
words, two different things.
Don't know if you have one at work or not, but I wanted to make it clear
that if you just want to play on the INTERnet now and then, it will work
fine. If you want to call in and use the network at work, there are
limitations.

Specifically in your situation, I don't remember if you have a corporate
intranet you want to access.

Peter Pan wrote:
> adlertom@juno.com wrote:
>> Thanks to Julie and Alan for the info.
>>
>> It does seem odd that that $49 PDA plan would provide the same
>> functionality as the $79 data plan. I hope there isn't a catch!
>
> There is... BIG ones....
> Below is from the "fine print" about that plan... If none of it
> applies to you, great! But be aware that there are limitations and
> gotchas...
> Unlimited PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans: Data sessions within
> the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area may be used
> with wireless devices for following purposes: (i) Internet browsing;
> (ii) e-mail; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate
> intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications like
> customer relationship management, sales force and field service
> automation. Intranet access requires the BlackBerry Enterprise
> Server.). Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess cannot be used
> with server devices or with host computer applications other than the
> BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Examples of such prohibited uses
> include, without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts,
> continuous jpeg file transfers, automatic data feeds, telemetry
> applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine
> applications. Such data sessions cannot be used as substitute for
> private lines or frame relay connections. Data sessions within the
> National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area automatically
> terminate after two hours of inactivity unless used with a Mobile
> IP?capable device. We reserve right to deny or terminate service,
> without notice, to anyone who uses NationalAccess or BroadbandAccess
> in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our
> network or service levels. We also reserve right to terminate service
> upon expiration of Customer Agreement term. BroadbandAccess kilobyte
> usage may not appear on your bill.
>
> Summary (the big one)
> Intranet access requires the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
> cannot be used with server devices or with host computer applications
> other than the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
>
> For other "gotchya's, read the text to see if it applies...
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:55:03 PM

The brochure for the $79 plan contains similar language. They don't
want you to use their network for some 24/7 data link, streaming video
or other high bit applications, which is understandable.

So, I still don't see a difference (at least in print) between the $49
plan and the $79 plan, except that one uses a PDA/smartphone as the
"modem" and the other uses a PC card.

It seems to be a no-brainer to opt for the cheaper PDA plan, unless
having a PC card right in the computer, as opposed to carrying a
separate device, is worth $30/month extra.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:59:16 PM

adlertom@juno.com wrote:
> The brochure for the $79 plan contains similar language. They don't
> want you to use their network for some 24/7 data link, streaming video
> or other high bit applications, which is understandable.
>
> So, I still don't see a difference (at least in print) between the $49
> plan and the $79 plan, except that one uses a PDA/smartphone as the
> "modem" and the other uses a PC card.
>
> It seems to be a no-brainer to opt for the cheaper PDA plan, unless
> having a PC card right in the computer, as opposed to carrying a
> separate device, is worth $30/month extra.

Strange, cuz on the website, the $79 plan has no such fine print, but the
$49 plan does...
!