printer re-installs on startup

everytime I startup the printer re-installs.
3 answers Last reply
More about printer installs startup

    In news:913EA99D-51B4-4CA6-8C84-3809B6BFA858@microsoft.com,
    Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > everytime I startup the printer re-installs.

    Does this apply?

    The New Hardware Wizard May Detect the Printer Device After Every Restart of
    the Computer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q298370

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    It does not look like the Hardward Wizard is starting it goes right to
    installing the printer.

    In news:0D12CF67-C645-4810-9CC2-587B0427A349@microsoft.com,
    Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > It does not look like the Hardward Wizard is starting it goes right to
    > installing the printer.
    >
    > "Galen" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:913EA99D-51B4-4CA6-8C84-3809B6BFA858@microsoft.com,
    >> Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    >>> everytime I startup the printer re-installs.
    >>
    >> Does this apply?
    >>
    >> The New Hardware Wizard May Detect the Printer Device After Every
    >> Restart of the Computer:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q298370
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >>
    >> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
    >> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
    >> will
    >> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
    >> all."
    >>
    >> Sherlock Holmes

    Have you tried the fix? From the page:

    1. Log on to your computer by using an administrator account.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    4. Locate and click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    5. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.
    6. Under Confirm Key Delete, click Yes.
    7. Close Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.

    Note:

    Just so you know editing the registry isn't the brightest thing to do though
    many of us do it all the time. However, you have been warned. For a better
    warning:
    http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/regedit_warn.html

    I'd give it a shot and see if it fixes it, just because you don't notice the
    hardware wizard doesn't mean that's not the reason that it's happening. This
    is, as far as I know, the only cause for this and the only resolution.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

Microsoft Printers Windows XP