laptop internet connection on desktop modem

I have Comcast broadband connection, and I just got a new laptop that I
won't need to go online with except to get updates. Can I load the Comcast
software on the laptop and then just disconnect the desktop from the modem
and reconnect it to the laptop long enough to authenticate windows and to
occasionally get updates or do I have to set up a home network. I only need
to have one at a time on the internet since I am the only user on both
computers but I am concerned that the modem won't recognize the laptop if I
just switch them. I have tried getting information from Comcast but they
keep telling me to set up a network to have more than one computer online
through the modem. I don't need them both on at the same time, but the FAQ's
don't address this issue.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Glenda
12 answers Last reply
More about laptop internet connection desktop modem

    You need to setup a home network.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Glenda P." <glendanow2000REMOVE@THESEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:eEz7H1csFHA.1960@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >I have Comcast broadband connection, and I just got a new laptop that I
    > won't need to go online with except to get updates. Can I load the Comcast
    > software on the laptop and then just disconnect the desktop from the modem
    > and reconnect it to the laptop long enough to authenticate windows and to
    > occasionally get updates or do I have to set up a home network. I only need
    > to have one at a time on the internet since I am the only user on both
    > computers but I am concerned that the modem won't recognize the laptop if I
    > just switch them. I have tried getting information from Comcast but they
    > keep telling me to set up a network to have more than one computer online
    > through the modem. I don't need them both on at the same time, but the FAQ's
    > don't address this issue.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > Glenda

    "Glenda P." <glendanow2000REMOVE@THESEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have Comcast broadband connection, and I just got a new laptop that I
    >won't need to go online with except to get updates. Can I load the Comcast
    >software on the laptop and then just disconnect the desktop from the modem
    >and reconnect it to the laptop long enough to authenticate windows and to
    >occasionally get updates or do I have to set up a home network. I only
    >need to have one at a time on the internet since I am the only user on both
    >computers but I am concerned that the modem won't recognize the laptop if I
    >just switch them. I have tried getting information from Comcast but they
    >keep telling me to set up a network to have more than one computer online
    >through the modem. I don't need them both on at the same time, but the
    >FAQ's don't address this issue.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > Glenda

    You probably don't need to set up the Comcast software again, or at least
    that's what I've found here. You just need it on one computer to get it set
    up.

    Just unplug the cable from the existing computer and plug it into the other.
    If you don't get a connection, turn off the cable modem and wait a minute,
    and turn it back on. Sometimes it needs to reset for it to see the new
    computer. Sometimes it doesn't.

    When you unplug computer #2 and plug in #1 again, you may need to reset the
    modem again by turning it off and one. Sometimes if it gets really finicky,
    you have to turn off the computer and the modem and turn both on again; but
    usually just the modem is enough.

    Also, some of those modems have a network cable connection and a usb
    connection. I've found that often you can use both at the same time. I've
    been told that it's not supposed to work that way, but often it does. It
    doesn't hurt to try.

    Thank you so much, this is what I wanted to hear from someone who has tried
    it. I only intend to go online with the laptop once in a great while and I
    was hoping I wouldn't have to set up a whole network just to get updates.
    Thanks,
    Glenda

    > Thank you so much, this is what I wanted to hear from someone who has
    > tried
    > it. I only intend to go online with the laptop once in a great while and I
    > was hoping I wouldn't have to set up a whole network just to get updates.
    > Thanks,
    > Glenda

    I don't use Comcast, but a friend does, and I set hers up just like you're
    asking. About once every few months she calls me because her connection gets
    weird, and I tell her to unplug the power from the cable modem, take a few
    deep breaths, and plug it in again. It always works. It's a little
    annoyance, but since she doesn't need a home network (as you don't) it works
    just fine. When gets a third computer, I'll set it up as a network, though.

    Hi
    I just wanted to let you and other group users know that it worked fine. I
    turned off the desktop and the modem, unplugged the Ethernet cable from the
    desktop and plugged it into the laptop. I plugged the modem back in and
    waited for the lights and then turned the laptop on and I was online, no
    problem. I reversed the procedure afterward and am back on the desktop, no
    problems. It worked great!
    I did want to say that I was having problems with the modem a few months ago
    and tech support said that when you leave it on for long periods like I do,
    (because I hardly ever turn the desktop power off, I just hibernate,) you do
    have to periodically unplug the cord from the back of the modem for a minute
    then plug it back in and it clears the memory on the modem. As long as I
    unplug it once in a while I never have problems with it.
    Thanks so much!
    Glenda

    > Also, some of those modems have a network cable connection and a usb
    > connection. I've found that often you can use both at the same time. I've
    > been told that it's not supposed to work that way, but often it does. It
    > doesn't hurt to try.

    My modem is a Motorola SB5100, which has both USB and Ethernet connectivity.
    The manual states that you should not connect both USB and Ethernet TO THE
    SAME COMPUTER, but it is perfectly OK to connect USB to one computer, and
    simultaneously to connect Ethernet to another computer. This provides full
    functionality to both machines at the same time, so perhaps this is the way
    you should go?
    Regards,
    Steve.

    stevem wrote:
    >>Also, some of those modems have a network cable connection and a usb
    >>connection. I've found that often you can use both at the same time. I've
    >>been told that it's not supposed to work that way, but often it does. It
    >>doesn't hurt to try.
    >>

    > My modem is a Motorola SB5100, which has both USB and Ethernet connectivity.
    > The manual states that you should not connect both USB and Ethernet TO THE
    > SAME COMPUTER, but it is perfectly OK to connect USB to one computer, and
    > simultaneously to connect Ethernet to another computer. This provides full
    > functionality to both machines at the same time, so perhaps this is the way
    > you should go?
    > Regards,
    > Steve.

    Your most stable network connection is the Ethernet
    connection. If you have this but need 2 PCs connected, you
    should consider using/buying a router to break out the
    connection to 2 or 4 connections, once config'd properly.
    Simply follow the instructions that come with the router. If
    you don't share the connections, you'll get a balanced speed
    to both computers once the router is installed and configured.
    The cabling should be :
    Incoming line to modem ---> Router input
    Router output (E1 ~E4) ---> Each computer

    Give each computer an internal address in the box setup.
    The default gateway in the connection is address of the
    modem. Default IP is where you reference the Address of the
    port (E1~E4) each computer is connected to.
    With a Router installed you may also benefit from internal
    firewall, if the router has one. That's another story.

    Thanks Steve,
    I had thought about this but I hesitated to do it,as you said, the original
    instructions were not to hook both up at the same time, but also like you
    said, it would be to 2 different computers. Have you actually tried this? I
    noticed you said "this provides full functionality to both the machines at
    the same time" so it sounds like you have actually tried it.
    I know that it would work better in the long run with a router and I plan on
    setting up a home wireless network later on. I need to get over the cost of
    paying cash for the laptop first ( my $250.00 rebate will go towards the
    router but that will take a while)
    so in the meantime I just wanted to get something working to get updates.
    I don't actually need to have them both online at the same time but your way
    would sure be easier than unplugging the Ethernet cable each time. Should I
    just leave the USB cord hanging on the back of the modem when the laptop is
    not connected? Don't I need to load the software on to the laptop to use the
    USB connection? I didn't need to load the software for the Ethernet cable to
    work but I think I would with the USB, is this right?
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    Glenda
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > Thanks Steve,
    > I had thought about this but I hesitated to do it,as you said, the
    > original instructions were not to hook both up at the same time, but also
    > like you said, it would be to 2 different computers. Have you actually
    > tried this? I noticed you said "this provides full functionality to both
    > the machines at the same time" so it sounds like you have actually tried
    > it.
    > I know that it would work better in the long run with a router and I plan
    > on setting up a home wireless network later on. I need to get over the
    > cost of paying cash for the laptop first ( my $250.00 rebate will go
    > towards the router but that will take a while)
    > so in the meantime I just wanted to get something working to get updates.
    > I don't actually need to have them both online at the same time but your
    > way would sure be easier than unplugging the Ethernet cable each time.
    > Should I just leave the USB cord hanging on the back of the modem when the
    > laptop is not connected? Don't I need to load the software on to the
    > laptop to use the USB connection? I didn't need to load the software for
    > the Ethernet cable to work but I think I would with the USB, is this
    > right?
    > Thanks for your suggestion.
    > Glenda

    Glenda,
    I can only speak for the Motorola SB5100 modem, I found the manual at
    http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/SB5101/downloads/SB5101_UG_EN.pdf -
    in all honesty, no, I have not actually tried it. Nonetheless, it might be
    worth your while trying it out - depending on your modem, of course. You say
    you don't need them connected at the same time - if all else fails, it
    should be possible to connect either one when the other machine is switched
    off. As far as the USB cord is concerned, there should certainly be no
    problem leaving it 'hanging', as if there is nothing on the end of it, the
    modem will not see anything there. Unfortunately, it's not easy for me to
    try this out, as my machines are actually networked anyway - though not on
    the same NIC as the modem - my motherboard has two NICs built-in. If worst
    comes to worst, you do appear to have a working solution, which will keep
    you going until such time as you eventually get around to networking the
    machines.
    Regards,
    Steve.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks Steve,
    I do have a Motorola SB5120, the only concern I have now is if I need to
    install the software to use the USB port instead of the Ethernet on the
    laptop. I didn't need to install software for the Ethernet but it seems that
    there was something about installing it for the USB (drivers?). Do you
    happen to know? I am sure if I dig around I can find the paperwork for the
    modem (it is Comcast's modem) but it sure seems like I needed to load
    software if using the USB port.
    It is not real hard to switch the Ethernet and it worked just fine but it
    would be more convenient to leave the USB cord hanging.
    Thanks,
    Glenda
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > Thanks Steve,
    > I do have a Motorola SB5120, the only concern I have now is if I need to
    > install the software to use the USB port instead of the Ethernet on the
    > laptop. I didn't need to install software for the Ethernet but it seems
    > that there was something about installing it for the USB (drivers?). Do
    > you happen to know? I am sure if I dig around I can find the paperwork for
    > the modem (it is Comcast's modem) but it sure seems like I needed to load
    > software if using the USB port.
    > It is not real hard to switch the Ethernet and it worked just fine but it
    > would be more convenient to leave the USB cord hanging.
    > Thanks,
    > Glenda

    Glenda,
    You can find the necessary documentation for your modem here -
    http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/SB5120/downloads/SB5120_User_Guide.pdf -
    it has a section explaining how to install the USB driver for XP. If you
    don't have the CD, just start at http://broadband.motorola.com and follow
    the support & downloads link, you'll find the drivers there. I didn't get
    the Motorola CD with my modem, everything necessary was on the ISP's CD.
    Hope it all works out for you,
    Regards,
    Steve.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks!
    Glenda

Laptops Modem Internet Connection Windows XP