First time I've ever de-guilded someone

And I'll be honest, I almost enjoyed it even though the guy never did a
thing wrong while in the guild. Names have all been fictionalized but it's a
true story.

We recently had a level 42 Templar apply. Some of our most trusted members
grouped with him one night in Varsoons and they all recommended him to me as
a solid player. I told them what I always tell people in that situation:
have him post an introductory message to our site so we can start to get to
know him and get him started on his app. The Monk who wanted to sponsor him
said "He doesn't want to post, he just wants to talk to someone".

Me: "Um, there's a reason for the process we have in place, a post is a good
way for people in the guild who haven't grouped with him to get to know
something about him"
Sponsor: "He's not big on words"
Me: "Doesn't have to be, there's a very simple template already in place, he
can cut and paste, can't he"?
Sponsor: "But he's a great player, we shouldn't screw this one up over a
process issue. And man, we always need healers".
Me: "I'll talk to him"

Ok, maybe that was my first mistake, violating our own policy to make an
exception when I knew damned well why we had a process in the first place.
But one of the five principles of leadership that I've always adhered to is
"Challenging the Process". So I did. We invited the guy into the guild as a
special recruit and started getting him into guild groups in our event
schedule.

One night in guildchat this guy says "Hey Red, I remember you from beta when
you were running around getting people flagged for Firemyst". I chuckled and
asked "What was your name in beta"? His response: "I played an Elf mage
named Wiggo".

Hmm, I stopped on that immediately. I remember an elf named Wiggo, but not
from beta, but because it was on my ignore list in retail. I only have three
names on that list, all three there because of one incident that I vividly
recalled.

Me: "Did you play Wiggo in release"?
Recruit: "No, just in beta"
Me: "I'm sure I've run into an Elf named Wiggo in release"

Pause.

Recruit: "Someone else must have rolled that, maybe that's why the name
wasn't available to me in release."

I pondered the likelihood of that coincidence.

Me: "Do you know two players named Camai and Grenak"?

Long pause.

Recruit: (still in guildchat): "Aye, I used to hang with those guys. Hey
man, I'm sorry, Red, I'm sorry about that night".
Me: "Let's take this offline".

It turns out that one night while camping Crusaders in Stormhold for a
guildmate's AQ3, I was with a guild group camping the Crusader room waiting
on pops. We needed a few more and this was back when Crusader pops were
badly broken in SH, so they were at a real premium. There was even a backup
group sitting outside the room waiting for us to be done with our camp.
After sitting in this spot killing PHs for a while, in runs a group of three
players: Wiggo, Camai and Grenak. They were running around in circles
jumping like madmen, not saying a thing, not asking if we were camping the
room. One of us mentioned that we were in fact waiting on Crusaders, and one
of the guys outside the room piped in "And we're up after them". No
response.

A crusader pops. Wiggo attacks it and takes the spawn. Incredulous, we stand
there in silence while these guys run out of the room and disappear. Our
group is pissed and the guys outside the room are even more so, and I
suggest that we spread out a little to make sure that we're covering good
ground and keep our guard up to avoid this again.

A few minutes later, Wiggo and crew return. As you can guess, another pop,
another kill steal. Wiggo says "Ok, we have the two we needed, we're leaving
now" and starts running out. My wife is having a fit and our MT is losing
his cool while the guys out in the hall are threatening to kill. I say
something like "I'll remember you, Wiggo" and enter all three names in my
ignore list and try hard to maintain some control in a very tense situation.
At that point the unfortunate Wiggo stops, turns around to face me, and
laughs in our faces. And then runs off.

And now here he is, app'ing to my guild lol. He starts sending me a series
of insufferable, imploring tells.

"Red, ur not mad at me r u"
"Red, plz dont be mad at me it was n accident"
"Plz, we realllly needed that spawn, plz, it will never happen again i
promise. plz dont be mad"

This sudden reversion to childspeak was quite a different image than the one
portrayed in guildchat and I realized then why he didn't want to post: the
guy was seriously communications challenged. What a front he'd been putting
up in guildchat! Talk about a split personality.

I told the guy I would discuss with the officer team and get back to him.
Not much to discuss, but we did, and the next day I de-guilded the guy.

Later that night I heard from a guildmate that the guy had been seen giving
away his stuff and leaving the game in disgust because it was "impossible
getting things done at a high level without groups and without a guild".
This guildmate asked why I had deguilded someone over a single KS incident,
without giving him a chance. I was only asked by this one person, no one
else felt the need to inquire, but his inquiry was genuine and respectful,
so I obliged with a response that laid out how his guild had standards that
made his membership actually mean something.

Was it a one-off? Who knows? Perhaps if the guy had been less reluctant to
post about himself and his game history, or hadn't lied to me about his
character, or hadn't gone out of his way to stop and laugh at us, maybe I'd
have been more inclined to give him a chance to redeem himself. But that
kind of behavior isn't acceptable for anyone wearing our guild tag, not even
once, and after he lied to me so blatantly and the sudden dramatic change of
personality, how could I ever trust him? But in the end, as I said to the
guildmate who inquired, just ask yourself why a level 42 *healer* is still
guild-less and has to leave the game because he can't find a guild and it
all adds up.

--
Redbeard
<Veritas>

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie
133 answers Last reply
More about first time guilded someone

    In article <10vj693n9pa6t77@news.supernews.com>,
    myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE says...

    <snip great post>

    Its nice to see a little comeuppance now and then. Warms my heart. :D

    "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
    ] once, and after he lied to me so blatantly and the sudden dramatic change of
    ] personality, how could I ever trust him? But in the end, as I said to the
    ] guildmate who inquired, just ask yourself why a level 42 *healer* is still
    ] guild-less and has to leave the game because he can't find a guild and it
    ] all adds up.

    Sounds to me like you made the correct decision.

    JimP.
    --
    djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 29, 2004

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:06:58 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >"Red, plz dont be mad at me it was n accident" about doing something
    >like that <twice>?

    Doing it twice, making a statement that indicated he did it on purpose
    right afterwards, then laughing about it. Accident my ass.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

    <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:

    > I told the guy I would discuss with the officer team and get back to him.
    > Not much to discuss, but we did, and the next day I de-guilded the guy.

    Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then actually
    apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:40:27 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:

    ><myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
    >>
    >> I told the guy I would discuss with the officer team and get back to him.
    >> Not much to discuss, but we did, and the next day I de-guilded the guy.
    >
    >Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then actually
    >apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P

    You mean other than lying to the guild leader and pressuring to have
    the application process changed for him so he could hide an unpleasant
    past? I'll bet you that had the child been honest about his past and
    displayed a capability and willingness to act civil, he wouldn't have
    been removed. But he lied. To the guild leader. That alone is enough
    to get you removed from most guilds, and god damned rightfully so.

    --

    "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in

    > And I'll be honest, I almost enjoyed it even though the guy never did
    > a thing wrong while in the guild. Names have all been fictionalized
    > but it's a true story.

    < snip >

    Sounds like you taught him a valuable life lesson. What goes around...

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    Rumbledor wrote:

    > Sounds like you taught him a valuable life lesson. What goes around...

    It sounds to me that Bob provided a good life lesson, indeed. But
    some people are very lesson resistant. The fact that the recruit in
    question was giving away all his stuff saying it was because the game
    was impossible due to it being so hard to find a guild makes me think
    that he might be the type to always blame others, rather than himself.
    I doubt that he learned a thing.

    --
    Annie

    AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
    http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

    Mirrored at:
    http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

    http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

    Bob Perez wrote:
    > "Red, ur not mad at me r u"
    > "Red, plz dont be mad at me it was n accident"
    > "Plz, we realllly needed that spawn, plz, it will never happen again i
    > promise. plz dont be mad"
    >
    > This sudden reversion to childspeak was quite a different image than the one
    > portrayed in guildchat and I realized then why he didn't want to post: the
    > guy was seriously communications challenged. What a front he'd been putting
    > up in guildchat! Talk about a split personality.

    Not entirely related (to what is an excellent post, btw) but have you
    noticed a fairly large amount of 'childspeak' (as you call it here) in
    EverQuest 2? I've been suffering far too much of it in the game and it
    has sometimes made communication difficult for me.

    It could of course just be me :-)

    --
    Michael Greenhalgh
    ---

    EverQuest 2:
    Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

    City of Heroes:
    Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
    ---

    Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    ] My second big hate (a VERY close second) are those players who fail to
    ] realise that if I have clicked "no" to an invitation group once
    ] already, asking 5 more times in rapid succession is not going to
    ] change my mind. Ever.

    I agree.

    Or the player, doofus, who sent me a tell, then /ooc, demanding to
    know if I had accidently hit 'n' all those 15 times or I just didn't
    like him. Got added to my ignore list.

    JimP.
    --
    djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
    http://wargame.drivein-jim.net/ WoW blog Jan 28, 2005
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 29, 2004
    http://evergame.drivein-jim.net/blog/ Everquest January 10, 2005

    bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote:
    ] One may say "thx."

    I always say thanks to a buff. But I spell it out using a hot key.
    And if they say good luck, or something similar, I /bow as well.

    JimP.
    --
    djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
    http://wargame.drivein-jim.net/ WoW blog Jan 28, 2005
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 29, 2004
    http://evergame.drivein-jim.net/blog/ Everquest January 10, 2005

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:48:25 GMT, Rumbledor
    <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

    >Sounds like you taught him a valuable life lesson. What goes around...

    I agree. This person shouldn't have made everyone miserable earlier
    in the first place and now he had to pay the price by not getting
    group and guilds. just like real life, you don't do business with any
    jerks.

    Booting someone from the guild is an unplesant business. I very
    nearly booted one last month because of complaint he was ninja looting
    and being AFK for more than a few minutes (leeching xp). he has since
    then cleaned up his act.

    Michael Greenhalgh <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote in

    > Bob Perez wrote:
    >> "Red, ur not mad at me r u"
    >> "Red, plz dont be mad at me it was n accident"
    >> "Plz, we realllly needed that spawn, plz, it will never happen again
    >> i promise. plz dont be mad"
    >>
    >> This sudden reversion to childspeak was quite a different image than
    >> the one portrayed in guildchat and I realized then why he didn't want
    >> to post: the guy was seriously communications challenged. What a
    >> front he'd been putting up in guildchat! Talk about a split
    >> personality.
    >>

    > Not entirely related (to what is an excellent post, btw) but have you
    > noticed a fairly large amount of 'childspeak' (as you call it here) in
    > EverQuest 2? I've been suffering far too much of it in the game and it
    > has sometimes made communication difficult for me.
    >
    > It could of course just be me :-)

    I can't say that I see any more of it in eq2 than I do in eq1, which is
    to say that it happens at times, but not that often really.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 22 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
    Aviv, 11 Gnome Braeler, 14 Craftsman

    <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:40:27 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
    >
    > ><myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I told the guy I would discuss with the officer team and get back to him.
    > >> Not much to discuss, but we did, and the next day I de-guilded the guy.
    > >
    > >Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then actually
    > >apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P
    >
    > You mean other than lying to the guild leader and pressuring to have
    > the application process changed for him so he could hide an unpleasant
    > past? I'll bet you that had the child been honest about his past and
    > displayed a capability and willingness to act civil, he wouldn't have
    > been removed. But he lied. To the guild leader. That alone is enough
    > to get you removed from most guilds, and god damned rightfully so.

    No, he owned up to it after trying to avoid doing so (obviously with good
    reason). If he had seriously wanted to lie about it, he would still be
    lying about it and in the guild. Gives new meaning to "the truth with set
    you free" and definitely convinced "Wiggo" to not bother telling the truth
    next time, because he knows how that turns out. =P

    As far as pressure to have an app process change, it happens all the time,
    constantly. Some think it's too long, some thing it's too nosy, etc., etc.
    As a leader of a guild, you ignore it, or you decide that it's a valid
    change and change the system permanently, you never make exceptions.

    "Michael Greenhalgh" <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Not entirely related (to what is an excellent post, btw) but have you
    > noticed a fairly large amount of 'childspeak' (as you call it here) in
    > EverQuest 2? I've been suffering far too much of it in the game and it has
    > sometimes made communication difficult for me.

    I don't know that I've seen more of it lately, I generally play on the RP
    servers -- in part because I feel this provides a greater chance of avoiding
    those types -- and it doesn't seem to come up there very often. But I'll
    share another perspective below.

    I've thought about this issue and wondered why it bothers me to see people
    speak like that. Am I a language snob? I mean, the goal is communication,
    right? If the message is coming across, why should it bother me that someone
    is using abbreviations like ur, ne1one, plz, grp, and so on? What is it
    about these idioms that sets them apart from afk, brb, brt, omw, and for
    that matter, Gratz! All of these terms have significant currency even on the
    RP servers I frequent. Purists like Dark Tyger might not use them, but I'll
    confess that I do and many, many others do too and not infrequently. If I'm
    making my way over to an event I may say "On griffin in Ant3, omw", or "Afk
    for bio, brb". Is this fundamentally any different?

    On the issue of increased frequency lately, I'll tell you where I do see it.
    My son (who moved out years ago) plays WoW and my wife and I have accounts
    there that enable us to have fun interacting with him online. You would not
    *believe* how utterly rare it is there to see anything approaching an
    English sentence, either in the trade channels or in local communications.
    It is absolutely standard to use terms like "ne1one", "ur" and "plz" and I'm
    sure I seem like an oddball when I say "You're welcome" instead of "np". In
    my experience, EverQuest2's raunchiest inhabitants are more respectful of
    the language than the people we run into routinely throughout WoW. There
    *is* a difference and it's not subtle.

    --

    "bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > Interestingly, he remembered Red... If I do something unintentionally
    > or by accident, I seldom remember names more than a short while,
    > unless I had some long, protracted conversation or apology involved
    > and become friends with the guy.

    The guy remembered me from Beta, which isn't too surprising since I had
    exactly the same name and character model (in fact, I saved the character
    file and re-used it in release) and was an officer in a leadership position
    both then and now. But I don't think he remembered the incident in Stormhold
    until I brought it up, else he wouldn't have so readily revealed his
    identity in the first place. I mean, he couldn't be *that* dumb, could he?

    It was pretty revealing to me, however, when he started pouring out his
    apology. It was evident at that point that he remembed enough to feel guilty
    and apologize. I hadn't even said a thing about the incident. No accusation,
    nothing. Just a couple of questions about some character names that could
    have gone anywhere. But he remembered and he knew because he harbored the
    guilty knowledge that he knew I knew, and the jig was up.

    --

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Faned wrote:

    > <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
    > >
    > > I told the guy I would discuss with the officer team and get back to him.
    > > Not much to discuss, but we did, and the next day I de-guilded the guy.
    >
    > Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then actually
    > apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P

    OMG, yes, because apologies are SO hard to make. Typing out words you
    might never mean or stand behind is a hard task, and that guy should be
    given a lot of respect for this.

    /sarcasm off

    Given the guy lied several times, how in the world could anyone accept his
    apologies? The whole idea behind an apology is that someone BELIEVES that
    you are actually ashamed/regretful.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Jerelyn Foxeye -- http://www.foxeye-art.com

    On Antonia Bayle (EQ):
    [33 Iksar Templar] Viizanafyaeth Newleaf
    [14 High Elf Brawler] Foxeye

    <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Faned wrote:
    >
    > > <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I told the guy I would discuss with the officer team and get back to him.
    > > > Not much to discuss, but we did, and the next day I de-guilded the guy.
    > >
    > > Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then actually
    > > apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P
    >
    > OMG, yes, because apologies are SO hard to make. Typing out words you
    > might never mean or stand behind is a hard task, and that guy should be
    > given a lot of respect for this.
    >
    > /sarcasm off
    >
    > Given the guy lied several times, how in the world could anyone accept his
    > apologies? The whole idea behind an apology is that someone BELIEVES that
    > you are actually ashamed/regretful.

    You've shown me the error in my ways. I can't imagine why anyone would ever
    BELIEVE any apology. It's just words. =)

    "Faned" <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message

    > Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then
    > actually
    > apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P

    Thank you. =P

    I know that my opening sentence says pretty much what you're saying here,
    but in retrospect it's clear that the guy lied about his past during his
    recruitment period, and if that's not a violation of our rules (arguably it
    is a violation of our code of conduct), it's certainly enough of a violation
    of trust and common sense in my universe to justify the de-tag. In any case,
    I didn't post this with the intent to solicit justification, but for the
    sheer entertainment value.

    --
    Redbeard
    <Veritas>
    Dwarven Mystic and Alchemist
    Loyal Citizen of the Antonia Bayle
    Current resident of the Willow Wood, City of Qeynos
    http://veritas.everquest2guilds.com

    Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
    <Resolution, Retired>
    Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
    Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

    Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in

    > <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
    >>
    >> I told the guy I would discuss with the officer team and get back to
    >> him. Not much to discuss, but we did, and the next day I de-guilded
    >> the guy.
    >
    > Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then
    > actually apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P

    O_o...-_-...O_o

    You're kidding, right?

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Rumbledor wrote:

    > O_o...-_-...O_o

    Oh, that's brilliant!

    *steals Rumbledor's idea for an emote*

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    > <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote:

    >> > Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then
    >> > actually apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P
    >>
    >> OMG, yes, because apologies are SO hard to make. Typing out words
    >> you might never mean or stand behind is a hard task, and that guy
    >> should be given a lot of respect for this.
    >>
    >> /sarcasm off
    >>
    >> Given the guy lied several times, how in the world could anyone
    >> accept his apologies? The whole idea behind an apology is that
    >> someone BELIEVES that you are actually ashamed/regretful.
    >
    > You've shown me the error in my ways. I can't imagine why anyone
    > would ever BELIEVE any apology. It's just words. =)

    The point is how is anyone supposed to believe him when he has already
    represented himself as dishonest, not to mention rude, callous and
    immature?

    Do I think there is a chance the kid has actually changed his ways? Sure.
    What are the chances of that truly being the case? I have no reason to
    believe them to be great and every reason to believe otherwise.

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    > No, he owned up to it after trying to avoid doing so (obviously with good
    > reason). If he had seriously wanted to lie about it, he would still be
    > lying about it and in the guild. Gives new meaning to "the truth with set
    > you free" and definitely convinced "Wiggo" to not bother telling the truth
    > next time, because he knows how that turns out. =P

    Anyone who comes to that conclusion has learned the wrong lesson, but I
    don't doubt it's what he'll take away from this.

    > As far as pressure to have an app process change, it happens all the time,
    > constantly. Some think it's too long, some thing it's too nosy, etc.,
    > etc.
    > As a leader of a guild, you ignore it, or you decide that it's a valid
    > change and change the system permanently, you never make exceptions.

    I learned long ago that I prefer to retain flexibility with this type of
    decision. Depending on what's at stake, challenging the process is sometimes
    the right thing to do and a rigid adherence to policy can be more damaging
    than the loss of consistency occasioned by an exception. But I understand
    the arguments favoring consistency, reasonable people differ on this point.

    --
    Redbeard
    <Veritas>
    Dwarven Mystic and Alchemist
    Loyal Citizen of the Antonia Bayle
    Current resident of the Willow Wood, City of Qeynos
    http://veritas.everquest2guilds.com

    Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
    <Resolution, Retired>
    Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
    Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:40:27 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:

    ><myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
    >>
    >> I told the guy I would discuss with the officer team and get back to him.
    >> Not much to discuss, but we did, and the next day I de-guilded the guy.
    >
    >Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then actually
    >apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P

    I'd never accept any apology from a liar who'd been caught out in the
    act of lying, because they'd just say ANYTHING to get their own way.
    Life's too short to give people like that a second chance.

    Palindrome

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:48:54 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:

    >Sounds like he tried to avoid it, thought better of it and owned up to it,
    >and apologized.

    I think that he was weighing up the pros and cons of trying to lie his
    way out of his own gaffe, decided he couldn't and was forced into a
    situation where he had to apologise. Heck ,the turd had actually
    laughed with glee in the face of the OP, reveling in his deeds and
    demonstrating what calibre of person he was, for the world to see...

    Oh yeah, that boy had REAL potential as a guildie... not.

    Palindrome

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:40:29 -0800, Dark Tyger
    <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:40:27 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
    >
    >><myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I told the guy I would discuss with the officer team and get back to him.
    >>> Not much to discuss, but we did, and the next day I de-guilded the guy.
    >>
    >>Congratulations on de-guilding someone who broke no rules and then actually
    >>apologized in spite of not having broken any rules. =P
    >
    >You mean other than lying to the guild leader and pressuring to have
    >the application process changed for him so he could hide an unpleasant
    >past? I'll bet you that had the child been honest about his past and
    >displayed a capability and willingness to act civil, he wouldn't have
    >been removed. But he lied. To the guild leader. That alone is enough
    >to get you removed from most guilds, and god damned rightfully so.

    Bloody right!

    Palindrome

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:15:08 -0600, D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net>
    wrote:

    >Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >] My second big hate (a VERY close second) are those players who fail to
    >] realise that if I have clicked "no" to an invitation group once
    >] already, asking 5 more times in rapid succession is not going to
    >] change my mind. Ever.
    >
    >I agree.
    >
    >Or the player, doofus, who sent me a tell, then /ooc, demanding to
    >know if I had accidently hit 'n' all those 15 times or I just didn't
    >like him. Got added to my ignore list.
    >
    >JimP.

    Yup, saves a shedload of spam... Actually, one feature I like in
    Knight Online (there are some clever ones...) is being able to turn
    off getting invitations to group.

    The other, (which isn't really pertinent to this thread, but I wish
    other games would do) is being able to set up a little stall and
    display stuff to sell. You actually DO get a little stall, and people
    have got used to clustering together to form a sort of open-air bazaar
    in the major towns. Nice idea...

    Palindrome

    "Palindrome" <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > The other, (which isn't really pertinent to this thread, but I wish
    > other games would do) is being able to set up a little stall and
    > display stuff to sell. You actually DO get a little stall, and people
    > have got used to clustering together to form a sort of open-air bazaar
    > in the major towns. Nice idea...

    I *like* that idea! I've never liked the big auction houses/bazaars of EQ,
    SWG, WoW and EQ2, I always preferred playing in the beta when a crafter had
    to make his own markets based on word of mouth and could rely on the appeal
    of being a convenient, local seller. The inevitable commoditization that
    occurs with big auction houses takes away some of that experience for me and
    the idea of local stalls to support local merchants is very appealing.

    --

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:52:43 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:

    >No, he owned up to it after trying to avoid doing so

    Only after he was called on it. He lied and, actually, only got into
    the guild based on that lie. Thus, he gets the boot up the ass and out
    the door.

    --

    Graeme Faelban wrote:

    > Michael Greenhalgh <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote in
    >

    >>Bob Perez wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Red, ur not mad at me r u"
    >>>"Red, plz dont be mad at me it was n accident"
    >>>"Plz, we realllly needed that spawn, plz, it will never happen again
    >>>i promise. plz dont be mad"
    >>>
    >>>This sudden reversion to childspeak was quite a different image than
    >>>the one portrayed in guildchat and I realized then why he didn't want
    >>>to post: the guy was seriously communications challenged. What a
    >>>front he'd been putting up in guildchat! Talk about a split
    >>>personality.
    >>>

    >>Not entirely related (to what is an excellent post, btw) but have you
    >>noticed a fairly large amount of 'childspeak' (as you call it here) in
    >>EverQuest 2? I've been suffering far too much of it in the game and it
    >>has sometimes made communication difficult for me.
    >>
    >>It could of course just be me :-)
    >>

    > I can't say that I see any more of it in eq2 than I do in eq1, which is
    > to say that it happens at times, but not that often really.

    This would probably be related to the way I play the two games. EQ2 is
    the one which my gaming clan play, and therefore I group and socialise a
    lot, whereas in EQ1 I've never had the opportunity to meet many people,
    so haven't witnessed the language yet.

    --
    Michael Greenhalgh
    ---
    www.tripleb.co.uk | Weblog
    www.loonygooncircus.com | {LgC} Clan Site
    www.suta.co.uk | Swansea University Tactical Airsoft Society
    ---
    MMORPGs
    EverQuest:
    Miglok | Half-Elf Ranger | Venril Sathir

    EverQuest 2:
    Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

    City of Heroes:
    Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
    ---

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Faned wrote:

    > You've shown me the error in my ways. I can't imagine why anyone would ever
    > BELIEVE any apology. It's just words. =)

    *chuckle* Sarcasm notwithstanding, I really do feel that way at
    times. The exceptions are when the person has demonstrated an
    exceptional level of trustworthiness. Otherwise my feelings are "don't
    bother to apologize. If you really are sorry, let it show in your actions,
    and my opinion of you will improve."

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Jerelyn Foxeye -- http://www.foxeye-art.com

    On Antonia Bayle (EQ):
    [33 Iksar Templar] Viizanafyaeth Newleaf
    [14 High Elf Brawler] Foxeye

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:49:16 -0800, "Bob Perez"
    <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:

    <snip>

    Heh - makes me appreciate even more the great bunch in my guild. :)

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:16:37 -0500, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:19:24 +0000, Palindrome
    ><damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >>Yes, I agree - the wordless invite, oft-repeated in spite of no LFG
    >>tag really bugs me.
    >>
    >>Strange, I thought I'd be a loner with that gripe, and that others
    >>would think I was weird :D
    >>
    >No, it's very annoying, rude and ignorant.
    >
    >Also confusing - why send an invite to someone simply becasue he's
    >running past you ?

    Yes, never figured how that would inspire an invitation to team up,
    either.

    Palindrome

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:31:20 +0000, Palindrome
    <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:16:37 -0500, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:19:24 +0000, Palindrome
    >><damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>>Yes, I agree - the wordless invite, oft-repeated in spite of no LFG
    >>>tag really bugs me.
    >>>
    >>>Strange, I thought I'd be a loner with that gripe, and that others
    >>>would think I was weird :D
    >>>
    >>No, it's very annoying, rude and ignorant.
    >>
    >>Also confusing - why send an invite to someone simply becasue he's
    >>running past you ?
    >
    >Yes, never figured how that would inspire an invitation to team up,
    >either.

    Worst thing is that you know the groups formed this way can't be good
    groups. Seems to me it's an invitation for xp loss/debt/whatever it is
    in whatever game.

    I find it odd people call me antisocial when I take a moment to tell
    them why I refuse to accept such invitations. ME?! Antisocial? They're
    the ones that can't be bothered to talk to me before throwing an
    invite!

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

    Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    ] Yup, saves a shedload of spam... Actually, one feature I like in
    ] Knight Online (there are some clever ones...) is being able to turn
    ] off getting invitations to group.

    Sometimes my having 'no guild invites' or what ever it is, don't
    remember offhand, puts a message up that someone's 'wanna group'
    request was automatically ignored.

    ] The other, (which isn't really pertinent to this thread, but I wish
    ] other games would do) is being able to set up a little stall and
    ] display stuff to sell. You actually DO get a little stall, and people
    ] have got used to clustering together to form a sort of open-air bazaar
    ] in the major towns. Nice idea...

    I think that would be great. It would certainly be something that
    would work with a middleages type game.

    JimP.
    --
    djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
    http://wargame.drivein-jim.net/ WoW blog Jan 28, 2005
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 29, 2004
    http://evergame.drivein-jim.net/blog/ Everquest January 10, 2005

    Quoth Bob Perez:

    > The guy remembered me from Beta, which isn't too surprising since I
    > had exactly the same name and character model (in fact, I saved the
    > character file and re-used it in release)

    Are character files stored client-side in EQ2???!!!???

    --
    Kitez les guards!

    "David Navarro" <david@alcaudon.com> wrote in message

    > Are character files stored client-side in EQ2???!!!???

    Yes, the character creation screen includes a Load/Save function that allows
    you to save your character's model locally. This was available in beta and
    the beta files continued working in release. I made all of my characters in
    beta and used them all in release.

    --
    Redbeard
    <Veritas>
    Dwarven Mystic and Alchemist
    Loyal Citizen of the Antonia Bayle
    Current resident of the Willow Wood, City of Qeynos
    http://veritas.everquest2guilds.com

    Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
    <Resolution, Retired>
    Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
    Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:55:05 -0800, Dark Tyger
    <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:52:43 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
    >
    >>No, he owned up to it after trying to avoid doing so
    >
    >Only after he was called on it. He lied and, actually, only got into
    >the guild based on that lie. Thus, he gets the boot up the ass and out
    >the door.

    Damn right, too.

    Palindrome

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:51:20 -0800, "Bob Perez"
    <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:

    >"Palindrome" <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >> The other, (which isn't really pertinent to this thread, but I wish
    >> other games would do) is being able to set up a little stall and
    >> display stuff to sell. You actually DO get a little stall, and people
    >> have got used to clustering together to form a sort of open-air bazaar
    >> in the major towns. Nice idea...
    >
    >I *like* that idea! I've never liked the big auction houses/bazaars of EQ,
    >SWG, WoW and EQ2, I always preferred playing in the beta when a crafter had
    >to make his own markets based on word of mouth and could rely on the appeal
    >of being a convenient, local seller. The inevitable commoditization that
    >occurs with big auction houses takes away some of that experience for me and
    >the idea of local stalls to support local merchants is very appealing.

    Yes - I was impressed too :) When your little stall appears, the
    first 3 (or is it 4?) items you are selling display their icons by
    floating over your stall - sort of an advert or eye-catcher thing.
    Then, you click the stall to see the rest of the stuff. Nicer than
    the Bazaar in EQ, from an "atmosphere" perspective, at least!

    Palindrome

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:25:42 -0600, ChrisB <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >If they don't bother to so much as ask before clicking invite, I either
    >click no and keep going or just keep going. Goes away once you zone.

    Aye, same here.

    Palindrome

    <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:

    > "Faned" <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > No, he owned up to it after trying to avoid doing so (obviously with good
    > > reason). If he had seriously wanted to lie about it, he would still be
    > > lying about it and in the guild. Gives new meaning to "the truth with set
    > > you free" and definitely convinced "Wiggo" to not bother telling the truth
    > > next time, because he knows how that turns out. =P
    >
    > Anyone who comes to that conclusion has learned the wrong lesson, but I
    > don't doubt it's what he'll take away from this.

    The "wrong lesson" can still be the "right lesson". Believe me, I was
    implying that it was the wrong lesson, but in dealing with you it is
    apparently still the "right lesson" because owning up to and apologizing for
    something is obviously *not* the "right" thing to do.

    > > As far as pressure to have an app process change, it happens all the time,
    > > constantly. Some think it's too long, some thing it's too nosy, etc.,
    > > etc.
    > > As a leader of a guild, you ignore it, or you decide that it's a valid
    > > change and change the system permanently, you never make exceptions.
    >
    > I learned long ago that I prefer to retain flexibility with this type of
    > decision. Depending on what's at stake, challenging the process is sometimes
    > the right thing to do and a rigid adherence to policy can be more damaging
    > than the loss of consistency occasioned by an exception. But I understand
    > the arguments favoring consistency, reasonable people differ on this point.

    No, reasonable people "prefer to retain flexibility" by "deciding that it's
    a valid change" and making it a part of the system, not by being wishy-washy
    and making exceptions for individuals. A leader cannot show "favoritism"
    of any sort and retain respect for long.

    > The "wrong lesson" can still be the "right lesson". Believe me, I was
    > implying that it was the wrong lesson, but in dealing with you it is
    > apparently still the "right lesson" because owning up to and apologizing
    > for
    > something is obviously *not* the "right" thing to do.

    I'm very amenable to a genuine apology and my ability to forgive and forget
    is there (remember, I'm the flexible guy :) But I don't ignore the greater
    context, it all goes into the mix and the overall picture here was what
    determined the decision.

    > No, reasonable people "prefer to retain flexibility" by "deciding that
    > it's
    > a valid change" and making it a part of the system, not by being
    > wishy-washy
    > and making exceptions for individuals. A leader cannot show "favoritism"
    > of any sort and retain respect for long.

    No, reasonable people recognize that slavish adherence to policy is not
    always the best solution to a problem. Life just isn't that simple, and the
    ability to recognize when it's appropriate to challenge the process is one
    of the things that makes a good leader. You can argue that this wasn't an
    appropriate exception to make, and I would entertain that argument, but I
    wouldn't want to be part of any company or guild that couldn't retain the
    flexibility to make the right choice in a given situation simply because it
    was "against policy".

    --
    Redbeard
    <Veritas>
    Dwarven Mystic and Alchemist
    Loyal Citizen of the Antonia Bayle
    Current resident of the Willow Wood, City of Qeynos
    http://veritas.everquest2guilds.com

    Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
    <Resolution, Retired>
    Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
    Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

    <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:52:43 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
    >
    > >No, he owned up to it after trying to avoid doing so
    >
    > Only after he was called on it. He lied and, actually, only got into
    > the guild based on that lie. Thus, he gets the boot up the ass and out
    > the door.

    Go go reading comprehension. Come back and comment again after you
    understand basic english and have something to say based on reality rather
    than the DT version of events. =P

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:39:21 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:

    ><darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:52:43 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >No, he owned up to it after trying to avoid doing so
    >>
    >> Only after he was called on it. He lied and, actually, only got into
    >> the guild based on that lie. Thus, he gets the boot up the ass and out
    >> the door.
    >
    >Go go reading comprehension. Come back and comment again after you
    >understand basic english and have something to say based on reality rather
    >than the DT version of events. =P

    Hmm. Vague attacks without bothering to point out where I was off
    base. Can't admit that you're wrong?

    He lied on more than one occasion. First was a lie through omission.
    Second was a blatant, bald-faced lie.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:45:34 -0800, "Bob Perez"
    <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:

    >I've thovght abovt this issve and wondered why it bothers me to see people
    >speak like that. Am I a langvage snob? I mean, the goal is commvnication,
    >right? If the message is coming across, why shovld it bother me that someone
    >is vsing abbreviations like vr, ne1one, plz, grp, and so on? What is it
    >abovt these idioms that sets them apart from afk, brb, brt, omw, and for
    >that matter, Gratz!

    Well, the latter ones yov mention are all very handy for expressing
    something pertinent a little more qvickly, which is handy in a typed
    medivm. "MMORPG Shorthand" messages like OMW, BRB and so on are a
    vsefvl way of conveying often-vsed actions/concepts that save typing
    time when speed is of the essence. Gratz and Woot, while bordering on
    Leetspeak are often vsed in a light-hearted manner, often as an
    intentional parody of leetspeakers, althovgh kindly meant on my part.
    A sort of hvmovrovs, tongve-in-cheek "hey, look, I can dvmb down to
    vsing Leetspeak if I need to" thing.

    Things like NE1, plz, grp are rarely typed in a sitvation where speed
    and brevity are important, so, to me, jvst mean the typist is lazy,
    stvpid or generally sloppy. They sovnd like the idiot-child of a
    vnion between a svrfer and his airhead bimbo partner who spends her
    time texting people 24/7. Needless to say, this means no grovp with
    them, ever...

    > If I'm making my way over to an event I may say "On griffin in Ant3, omw", or "Afk
    >for bio, brb". Is this fvndamentally any different?

    No, yov are compressing information, for brevity's sake, to redvce
    grovp spam - at least in my opinion.

    >Yov wovld not *believe* how vtterly rare it is there to see anything
    >approaching an English sentence, either in the trade channels or in
    >local commvnications.

    I see more of this in AO than EQ, as well as that other thing that
    pisses me off, spamming in capital letters. Lvckily, the majority of
    players soon clamp down on this, and the amovnt of ridicvle
    Leetspeakers/Ubernoobs attract soon cvres this :))

    Palindrome

    > I assume, and the facts of the situation certainly suggest that assumption
    > to be valid, that he knew there would be issues, and knew that Bob had no
    > inclination to forgive, and would rather not bring it up at all if it
    > could
    > be avoided.

    I don't think the facts as I've related them give any basis for an
    assumption that I could not forgive lol, where do you get that?

    --

    > Anyone who invites me more than once, without so much as a "Hi" just
    > goes straight to /ignore.

    Makes me wonder, how many names can the ignore list hold, anyway?

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:55:52 -0600, D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net>
    wrote:

    >Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >] Yup, saves a shedload of spam... Actually, one feature I like in
    >] Knight Online (there are some clever ones...) is being able to turn
    >] off getting invitations to group.
    >
    >Sometimes my having 'no guild invites' or what ever it is, don't
    >remember offhand, puts a message up that someone's 'wanna group'
    >request was automatically ignored.

    Hmmm, now THAT I must try out :)

    >] The other, (which isn't really pertinent to this thread, but I wish
    >] other games would do) is being able to set up a little stall and
    >] display stuff to sell. You actually DO get a little stall, and people
    >] have got used to clustering together to form a sort of open-air bazaar
    >] in the major towns. Nice idea...

    >I think that would be great. It would certainly be something that
    >would work with a middleages type game.

    Yes, works quite well. I wish AO had a way to sell things that didn't
    rely on using the Shopping Channels (a sort of OOC for selling/buying)
    as the messages can more or less take over the chat screen :( It
    would be nice to be able to use a terminal to look at stuff players
    are selling...

    Palindrome

    <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:

    > "Faned" <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > The "wrong lesson" can still be the "right lesson". Believe me, I was
    > > implying that it was the wrong lesson, but in dealing with you it is
    > > apparently still the "right lesson" because owning up to and apologizing
    > > for
    > > something is obviously *not* the "right" thing to do.
    >
    > I'm very amenable to a genuine apology and my ability to forgive and forget
    > is there (remember, I'm the flexible guy :) But I don't ignore the greater
    > context, it all goes into the mix and the overall picture here was what
    > determined the decision.

    I can agree with that. All I have to go on is what you posted here. =) I'm
    assuming there must have been more to the story other than you being pissed
    that someone "legally" beat you to something (no matter how much I might
    consider it to be in poor taste, I will never fault someone for playing by
    the rules, even if I don't like the results).

    > > No, reasonable people "prefer to retain flexibility" by "deciding that
    > > it's
    > > a valid change" and making it a part of the system, not by being
    > > wishy-washy
    > > and making exceptions for individuals. A leader cannot show "favoritism"
    > > of any sort and retain respect for long.
    >
    > No, reasonable people recognize that slavish adherence to policy is not
    > always the best solution to a problem. Life just isn't that simple, and the
    > ability to recognize when it's appropriate to challenge the process is one
    > of the things that makes a good leader. You can argue that this wasn't an
    > appropriate exception to make, and I would entertain that argument, but I
    > wouldn't want to be part of any company or guild that couldn't retain the
    > flexibility to make the right choice in a given situation simply because it
    > was "against policy".

    So if you find that there was a valid complaint with the system that
    required an exception, why do you assume it would never happen again? If it
    would *never* happen again, it's favoritism. If there's a possibility of it
    happening again and requiring an exception, it is just good sense to modify
    the existing policy to deal with it.

    I wouldn't want to be a part of any company or guild that would make an
    exception without investigating whether such an exception indicated a policy
    change was needed.

    <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:39:21 -0600, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
    >
    > ><darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

    > >> Only after he was called on it. He lied and, actually, only got into
    > >> the guild based on that lie. Thus, he gets the boot up the ass and out
    > >> the door.
    > >
    > >Go go reading comprehension. Come back and comment again after you
    > >understand basic english and have something to say based on reality rather
    > >than the DT version of events. =P
    >
    > Hmm. Vague attacks without bothering to point out where I was off
    > base. Can't admit that you're wrong?
    >
    > He lied on more than one occasion. First was a lie through omission.
    > Second was a blatant, bald-faced lie.

    Quote from the original post to support your contention that he "only got
    into the guild based on that lie". Here's the relevant portion so you don't
    even have to look it up:

    > We recently had a level 42 Templar apply. Some of our most trusted members
    > grouped with him one night in Varsoons and they all recommended him to me as
    > a solid player. I told them what I always tell people in that situation:
    > have him post an introductory message to our site so we can start to get to
    > know him and get him started on his app. The Monk who wanted to sponsor him
    > said "He doesn't want to post, he just wants to talk to someone".
    >
    > Me: "Um, there's a reason for the process we have in place, a post is a good
    > way for people in the guild who haven't grouped with him to get to know
    > something about him"
    > Sponsor: "He's not big on words"
    > Me: "Doesn't have to be, there's a very simple template already in place, he
    > can cut and paste, can't he"?
    > Sponsor: "But he's a great player, we shouldn't screw this one up over a
    > process issue. And man, we always need healers".
    > Me: "I'll talk to him"
    >
    > Ok, maybe that was my first mistake, violating our own policy to make an
    > exception when I knew damned well why we had a process in the first place.
    > But one of the five principles of leadership that I've always adhered to is
    > "Challenging the Process". So I did. We invited the guy into the guild as a
    > special recruit and started getting him into guild groups in our event
    > schedule.

    But I see that you already realized your error and now claim simply a "lie
    through omission." I won't start down that slippery slope, but I'll gladly
    follow along dropping boulders the entire time should you decide to lead the
    way. =)

Video Games Product