CPU Running at 100%

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on Dell Inspiron 5150 . For some reason , a
while after i startup , my CPU starts running at 100% and then shuts off the
computer and i have to restart . I have tried to see whats making it do this
but i can't figure it out . Someone out there please help me .
7 answers Last reply
More about running

    IAH <IAH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on Dell Inspiron 5150 . For some reason , a
    >while after i startup , my CPU starts running at 100% and then shuts off the
    >computer and i have to restart . I have tried to see whats making it do this
    >but i can't figure it out . Someone out there please help me .

    Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager.
    Go to the Processes tab.
    Click twice on the CPU column header to sort the process list into
    descending order by CPU usage.

    The offending process(es) should be at the top of the list.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks Ron ... overwhelmingly , the " System Idle Process " is the one using
    the most CPU . What can i do to change this ?

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > IAH <IAH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on Dell Inspiron 5150 . For some reason , a
    > >while after i startup , my CPU starts running at 100% and then shuts off the
    > >computer and i have to restart . I have tried to see whats making it do this
    > >but i can't figure it out . Someone out there please help me .
    >
    > Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager.
    > Go to the Processes tab.
    > Click twice on the CPU column header to sort the process list into
    > descending order by CPU usage.
    >
    > The offending process(es) should be at the top of the list.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hi,

    Download and run Process Explorer. Look for the process that's taking up all the CPU
    recourses. This will help narrow the search.
    Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    IAH wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on Dell Inspiron 5150 .
    > For some reason , a while after i startup , my CPU starts
    > running at 100% and then shuts off the computer and i
    > have to restart . I have tried to see whats making it do
    > this but i can't figure it out . Someone out there please
    > help me .

    This is normal, hence the word idle. It should be between 97 & 99% with nothing running in
    the background.

    --

    "IAH" <IAH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Ron ... overwhelmingly , the " System Idle Process " is the one
    > using
    > the most CPU . What can i do to change this ?
    That is definitely not what is hogging your computer or filling up your
    disk. The idle process is the placeholder for the activity of the cpu when
    it has no real work.
    One other thing to check is I/O writes. You can't fill a directory without
    lots and lots of I/O.
    Jim

    > "Ron Martell" wrote:
    >
    >> IAH <IAH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on Dell Inspiron 5150 . For some reason
    >> >, a
    >> >while after i startup , my CPU starts running at 100% and then shuts off
    >> >the
    >> >computer and i have to restart . I have tried to see whats making it do
    >> >this
    >> >but i can't figure it out . Someone out there please help me .
    >>
    >> Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager.
    >> Go to the Processes tab.
    >> Click twice on the CPU column header to sort the process list into
    >> descending order by CPU usage.
    >>
    >> The offending process(es) should be at the top of the list.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    IAH <IAH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks Ron ... overwhelmingly , the " System Idle Process " is the one using
    >the most CPU . What can i do to change this ?

    If the CPU usage is showing as 100% in the performance tab then the
    System Idle process should be showing zero or close to it when you
    click to the processes tab.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    You may have some bad activeX plugins? In IE, tools, internet options,
    programs, manage add-ons, scan through and see if any are needed and disable
    or enable. Look in, Show:Add-ons used by IE/currently loaded by IE..

    In SBS&D advanced mode, tools, system startup you can check for bad startup
    apps..update and check for spyware too..
    Safe and easy to test startup probs...
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Hope this can help..
    j;-)

    "IAH" wrote:

    > I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on Dell Inspiron 5150 . For some reason , a
    > while after i startup , my CPU starts running at 100% and then shuts off the
    > computer and i have to restart . I have tried to see whats making it do this
    > but i can't figure it out . Someone out there please help me .

Dell Inspiron CPUs Microsoft Windows XP