Hi,

I'm not a huge fan of Messenger and would like to remove it from loading at
startup on my father's machine. Everytime I disable it (using Mike Lin's
Startup Control Panel), it finds its way back into the startup/system tray
upon reboot...

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove it from startup or better yet,
get it off the machine completely?

--
Thanks!

There's loads of ways! Goto add / remove programs and choose Add/ Remove
Windows Components and remove it from there. Or if you don't want to remove
the program take it out of the all users startup profile. Or you could
install Microsoft Anti-Spyware, goto Advanced Tools> System Explorers>
Startup programs and choose to permanently remove it. Install the
anti-spyware anyway, it's a cool tool.

"Calgarychris" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not a huge fan of Messenger and would like to remove it from loading at
> startup on my father's machine. Everytime I disable it (using Mike Lin's
> Startup Control Panel), it finds its way back into the startup/system tray
> upon reboot...
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to remove it from startup or better yet,
> get it off the machine completely?
>
> --
> Thanks!

For Windows Messenger (this is different from MSN Messenger)
--------------------------

Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:

For MSN Messenger:

To stop MSN Messenger from starting automatically: In the main MSN
Messenger window, click the Tools menu, and then click Options. Click the
General tab, and then clear the Automatically run Messenger when I log on to
Windows check box.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User