I have recently changed from dial-up to a cable modem. I also have a router
for my telephone connection. Since I have done this, my computer is running
very slowly, and there is a latency problem (slow typing and animation,
having to wait while computer "catches up").
I have performed all maintenance that I know: Anti-virus (Norton), Spyware
(Microsoft), Add/Remove Programs, Disk Clean-up (C & D drives), and
Defragmentation. The hard drive is almost always making that sound that it
makes when programs are loading (that gurgle sound, I'm sure you know what I
mean).
Nothing has changed, and here I sit, and sit...
I have a Compaq Presario 5000 and Windows XP.
Is there anything else I can do? I am very frustrated and would appreciate
any advice. Thank you.

How do you have the cable modem hooked up to your computer.

If you are using USB, try the ethernet connection. It should be a lot
better on your CPU utilization.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"amf5960" <amf5960@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently changed from dial-up to a cable modem. I also have a router
> for my telephone connection. Since I have done this, my computer is
> running
> very slowly, and there is a latency problem (slow typing and animation,
> having to wait while computer "catches up").
> I have performed all maintenance that I know: Anti-virus (Norton), Spyware
> (Microsoft), Add/Remove Programs, Disk Clean-up (C & D drives), and
> Defragmentation. The hard drive is almost always making that sound that it
> makes when programs are loading (that gurgle sound, I'm sure you know what
> mean).
> Nothing has changed, and here I sit, and sit...
> I have a Compaq Presario 5000 and Windows XP.
> Is there anything else I can do? I am very frustrated and would appreciate
> any advice. Thank you.

I am hooked up by the ethernet connection.

"Gary Tsang" wrote:

> How do you have the cable modem hooked up to your computer.
>
> If you are using USB, try the ethernet connection. It should be a lot
> better on your CPU utilization.
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "amf5960" <amf5960@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently changed from dial-up to a cable modem. I also have a router
> > for my telephone connection. Since I have done this, my computer is
> > running
> > very slowly, and there is a latency problem (slow typing and animation,
> > having to wait while computer "catches up").
> > I have performed all maintenance that I know: Anti-virus (Norton), Spyware
> > (Microsoft), Add/Remove Programs, Disk Clean-up (C & D drives), and
> > Defragmentation. The hard drive is almost always making that sound that it
> > makes when programs are loading (that gurgle sound, I'm sure you know what
> > mean).
> > Nothing has changed, and here I sit, and sit...
> > I have a Compaq Presario 5000 and Windows XP.
> > Is there anything else I can do? I am very frustrated and would appreciate
> > any advice. Thank you.

You might want to look into seeing if there are updated drivers for your
network card.

--

>I am hooked up by the ethernet connection.
>
> "Gary Tsang" wrote:
>
>> How do you have the cable modem hooked up to your computer.
>>
>> If you are using USB, try the ethernet connection. It should be a lot
>> better on your CPU utilization.
>>
>> --
>> Gary Tsang
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>

>> "amf5960" <amf5960@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have recently changed from dial-up to a cable modem. I also have a
>> >router
>> > for my telephone connection. Since I have done this, my computer is
>> > running
>> > very slowly, and there is a latency problem (slow typing and animation,
>> > having to wait while computer "catches up").
>> > I have performed all maintenance that I know: Anti-virus (Norton),
>> > Spyware
>> > (Microsoft), Add/Remove Programs, Disk Clean-up (C & D drives), and
>> > Defragmentation. The hard drive is almost always making that sound that
>> > it
>> > makes when programs are loading (that gurgle sound, I'm sure you know
>> > what
>> > mean).
>> > Nothing has changed, and here I sit, and sit...
>> > I have a Compaq Presario 5000 and Windows XP.
>> > Is there anything else I can do? I am very frustrated and would
>> > appreciate
>> > any advice. Thank you.

Hi Gary,
I think I've solved the problem (certainly not from my know-how! -- lol);
things seem to be running better. I looked into my Norton Anti-Virus 2005, to
check on the firewall situation (I wasn't sure if I was doubling up on
firewalls by enableing the Microsoft firewall). I found that I had to check
off the "LAN" box for something or another (for the firewall to operate for
broadband, maybe?). I did that, and things are running more smoothly. The
latency seems to be cleared up; of course, things may be different tomorrow!
Thanks for your suggestions.

I have a couple other questions -- I don't know what I did, but when I was
trying to solve the above problem, I got all of the icons on the desktop
highlighted in blue. It's obnoxious looking! Do you know how I can delete the
blue highlights? Also, I can't bring up some pictures in my e-mails -- I get
little boxes with little x's in them. How can I fix this? Thanks again!!