Perfmon

Is perfmon.exe a critical system file?
Or would the computer still be able to boot properly if the file has been
removed from the system (including the registry entries - all of them
regarding perfmon)

Situation:
Windows server 2003, had a virus attack, junior administrator deleted the
virus "perfhmon.exe" from the system and all registry entries, but in doing
so also deleted the legitimate "perfmon.exe" and its registy entries.
I would like to know how i may be able to re-install the files and their
corresponding registry entries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about perfmon

    Machine should boot fine.

    Windows File Protection should replace a perfmon.exe deleted from
    %windir%\system32 with a copy from %windir%\system32\dllcache.

    However if perfmon.exe is deleted from %windir%\system32\dllcache first,
    that won't happen.

    On XP Pro CD perfmon.exe is PERFMON.EX_ in the I386 folder.

    I would assume that it is similar in 2003.

    Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32

    Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32\dllcache
    or copy perfmon.exe from %windir%\system32 and paste in
    %windir%\system32\dllcache

    There is also a perfmon.msc, perfmon.ms_ on CD. Same deal

    Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32

    perfmon.exe should be in %windir%\system32 and %windir%\system32\dllcache

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:062256C9-4ADC-4DE1-8220-21A80BF1A54E@microsoft.com,
    Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Is perfmon.exe a critical system file?
    > Or would the computer still be able to boot properly if the file has been
    > removed from the system (including the registry entries - all of them
    > regarding perfmon)
    >
    > Situation:
    > Windows server 2003, had a virus attack, junior administrator deleted the
    > virus "perfhmon.exe" from the system and all registry entries, but in
    > doing so also deleted the legitimate "perfmon.exe" and its registy
    > entries.
    > I would like to know how i may be able to re-install the files and their
    > corresponding registry entries.

    Thanks Wesley.

    That is a huge relief, but i still have a huge concern about the registry
    files that were removed.. (all "perfmon" entries were removed from the
    registry.) is there any way to restore them from the windows CD? (no backup
    avaliable)

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Machine should boot fine.
    >
    > Windows File Protection should replace a perfmon.exe deleted from
    > %windir%\system32 with a copy from %windir%\system32\dllcache.
    >
    > However if perfmon.exe is deleted from %windir%\system32\dllcache first,
    > that won't happen.
    >
    > On XP Pro CD perfmon.exe is PERFMON.EX_ in the I386 folder.
    >
    > I would assume that it is similar in 2003.
    >
    > Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32
    >
    > Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32\dllcache
    > or copy perfmon.exe from %windir%\system32 and paste in
    > %windir%\system32\dllcache
    >
    > There is also a perfmon.msc, perfmon.ms_ on CD. Same deal
    >
    > Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32
    >
    > perfmon.exe should be in %windir%\system32 and %windir%\system32\dllcache
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:062256C9-4ADC-4DE1-8220-21A80BF1A54E@microsoft.com,
    > Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Is perfmon.exe a critical system file?
    > > Or would the computer still be able to boot properly if the file has been
    > > removed from the system (including the registry entries - all of them
    > > regarding perfmon)
    > >
    > > Situation:
    > > Windows server 2003, had a virus attack, junior administrator deleted the
    > > virus "perfhmon.exe" from the system and all registry entries, but in
    > > doing so also deleted the legitimate "perfmon.exe" and its registy
    > > entries.
    > > I would like to know how i may be able to re-install the files and their
    > > corresponding registry entries.

    Beats me. Does the Event Viewer work? Does the Performance (perfmon.msc)
    snap-in work?

    {72967903-68EC-11D0-B729-00AA0062CBB7} = WBEM PerfMon Property Provider
    {F00B4404-F8F1-11CE-A5B6-00AA00680C3F} = WBEM PerfMon Instance Provider
    Search of my registry for perfmon.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\perfmon.exe
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{72967903-68EC-11D0-B729-00AA0062CBB7}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F00B4404-F8F1-11CE-A5B6-00AA00680C3F}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PerfFile\shell\open\command
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\perfmon.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{72967903-68EC-11D0-B729-00AA0062C
    BB7}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F00B4404-F8F1-11CE-A5B6-00AA00680
    C3F}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PerfFile\shell\open\command
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application
    Sources
    REG_MULTI_SZ
    WSH
    WMIAdapter
    WmdmPmSN
    WinMgmt
    Winlogon
    Windows Product Activation
    Windows 3.1 Migration
    WebClient
    VSS
    VBRuntime
    Userinit
    Userenv
    UploadM
    UPHClean
    Tlntsvr
    SysmonLog
    SpoolerCtrs
    Software Installation
    SclgNtfy
    SceSrv
    SceCli
    safrslv
    SAFrdms
    PerfProc
    PerfOS
    PerfNet
    Perfmon
    Perflib
    PerfDisk
    Perfctrs
    Offline Files
    Oakley
    Ntbackup.ini
    ntbackup
    NeroCheck
    MsiInstaller
    MSDTC Client
    MSDTC
    mnmsrvc
    Microsoft Office 10
    Microsoft H.323 Telephony Service Provider
    LoadPerf
    HelpSvc
    Folder Redirection
    File Deployment
    EventSystem
    ESENT
    EAPOL
    DrWatson
    DiskQuota
    DataDynamics ActiveBar 1.0
    crypt32
    COM+
    Ci
    Chkdsk
    Avg7UpdSvc
    Avg7Alrt
    AVG7
    AutoEnrollment
    Autochk
    Application Management
    Application Hang
    Application Error
    Application
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\Perfmo
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Eventlog\Application
    same as ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Eventlog\Application\Perfmo
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application
    same as ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\Pe
    rfmon

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:235021D5-C0DA-4723-A717-F17E494A6488@microsoft.com,
    Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks Wesley.
    >
    > That is a huge relief, but i still have a huge concern about the registry
    > files that were removed.. (all "perfmon" entries were removed from the
    > registry.) is there any way to restore them from the windows CD? (no
    > backup avaliable)
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Machine should boot fine.
    >>
    >> Windows File Protection should replace a perfmon.exe deleted from
    >> %windir%\system32 with a copy from %windir%\system32\dllcache.
    >>
    >> However if perfmon.exe is deleted from %windir%\system32\dllcache first,
    >> that won't happen.
    >>
    >> On XP Pro CD perfmon.exe is PERFMON.EX_ in the I386 folder.
    >>
    >> I would assume that it is similar in 2003.
    >>
    >> Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32
    >>
    >> Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32\dllcache
    >> or copy perfmon.exe from %windir%\system32 and paste in
    >> %windir%\system32\dllcache
    >>
    >> There is also a perfmon.msc, perfmon.ms_ on CD. Same deal
    >>
    >> Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32
    >>
    >> perfmon.exe should be in %windir%\system32 and %windir%\system32\dllcache
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:062256C9-4ADC-4DE1-8220-21A80BF1A54E@microsoft.com,
    >> Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Is perfmon.exe a critical system file?
    >>> Or would the computer still be able to boot properly if the file has
    >>> been removed from the system (including the registry entries - all of
    >>> them regarding perfmon)
    >>>
    >>> Situation:
    >>> Windows server 2003, had a virus attack, junior administrator deleted
    >>> the virus "perfhmon.exe" from the system and all registry entries, but
    >>> in doing so also deleted the legitimate "perfmon.exe" and its registy
    >>> entries.
    >>> I would like to know how i may be able to re-install the files and their
    >>> corresponding registry entries.

    Thanks for your timely response.. i will try adding those entries to my
    registry and see if it works..

    are the ID's similar to this "72967903-68EC-11D0-B729-00AA0062CBB7" SID's?
    or are they the same on every installation?

    Event viewer seems to be working fine, and every thing else (including
    perfmon.msc) the problem i am having is with the "Performance Logs and
    Alerts" service. i get the following error when trying to run the service...
    "Configuration Manager: A required entry in the registy is missing or an
    attempt to write to the registry failed" and " The system cannot find the
    file specified"

    i ran a search on the system for "perf" these are what i found.
    perfc009.dat
    perfci.h
    perfci.ini
    perfcounter.dll
    perfctrs.dll
    perfd009.dat
    perfdisk.dll
    perffilt.h
    perffilt.ini
    perfh009.dat
    perfi009.dat
    perfmon.exe
    perfmon.msc
    perfnet.dll
    perfnw.dll
    perfos.dll
    perproc.dll
    perfstingbackup.ini
    perfts.dll
    perfwci.ini

    all located in the system32 folder.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > > backup avaliable)
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Machine should boot fine.
    > >>
    > >> Windows File Protection should replace a perfmon.exe deleted from
    > >> %windir%\system32 with a copy from %windir%\system32\dllcache.
    > >>
    > >> However if perfmon.exe is deleted from %windir%\system32\dllcache first,
    > >> that won't happen.
    > >>
    > >> On XP Pro CD perfmon.exe is PERFMON.EX_ in the I386 folder.
    > >>
    > >> I would assume that it is similar in 2003.
    > >>
    > >> Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32
    > >>
    > >> Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32\dllcache
    > >> or copy perfmon.exe from %windir%\system32 and paste in
    > >> %windir%\system32\dllcache
    > >>
    > >> There is also a perfmon.msc, perfmon.ms_ on CD. Same deal
    > >>
    > >> Expand PERFMON.EX_ from I386 folder to %windir%\system32
    > >>
    > >> perfmon.exe should be in %windir%\system32 and %windir%\system32\dllcache

    They are CLSIDs and the need to be inside the accolades {inside here}.
    Short for Class ID. CLSIDs can identify a lot of things, such as special
    folders or processes.

    {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} is My Computer
    {85BBD920-42A0-1069-A2E4-08002B30309D} is Briefcase

    All kinds of things have a CLSID. They are a Globally Unique IDentifier.

    For your Configuration Manager problem...

    You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.

    To view Windows XP Events and Errors, type the Source (for example, Print)
    and/or the Event code (for example, 20) into the ID field, then click the Go
    button. Source and Event codes may be found in the Event Viewer logs.

    Windows XP Home/Professional Events and Errors
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:D8C5F86D-3E39-460C-9AF2-7CAC8CB9FC5B@microsoft.com,
    Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for your timely response.. i will try adding those entries to my
    > registry and see if it works..
    >
    > are the ID's similar to this "72967903-68EC-11D0-B729-00AA0062CBB7" SID's?
    > or are they the same on every installation?
    >
    > Event viewer seems to be working fine, and every thing else (including
    > perfmon.msc) the problem i am having is with the "Performance Logs and
    > Alerts" service. i get the following error when trying to run the
    > service... "Configuration Manager: A required entry in the registy is
    > missing or an attempt to write to the registry failed" and " The system
    > cannot find the file specified"
    >
    > i ran a search on the system for "perf" these are what i found.
    > perfc009.dat
    > perfci.h
    > perfci.ini
    > perfcounter.dll
    > perfctrs.dll
    > perfd009.dat
    > perfdisk.dll
    > perffilt.h
    > perffilt.ini
    > perfh009.dat
    > perfi009.dat
    > perfmon.exe
    > perfmon.msc
    > perfnet.dll
    > perfnw.dll
    > perfos.dll
    > perproc.dll
    > perfstingbackup.ini
    > perfts.dll
    > perfwci.ini
    >
    > all located in the system32 folder.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    Solved:
    Well luck had it that we had a power outage for a substantial time.
    When the systems came back on line the perfmon issues were resolved.
    Note: that prior the the power outage, the following CLSID's were re-created
    manually (from a seperate Windows 2003 Server Installation):

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\perfmon.exe
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{72967903-68EC-11D0-B729-00AA0062CBB7}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F00B4404-F8F1-11CE-A5B6-00AA00680C3F}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PerfFile\shell\open\command
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\perfmon.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{72967903-68EC-11D0-B729-00AA0062C
    BB7}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F00B4404-F8F1-11CE-A5B6-00AA00680
    C3F}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PerfFile\shell\open\command
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application

    The following files were also re-created manually (also from a very old
    backup, and again another Windows 2003 Server installation):

    perfc009.dat
    perfci.h
    perfci.ini
    perfcounter.dll
    perfctrs.dll
    perfd009.dat
    perfdisk.dll
    perffilt.h
    perffilt.ini
    perfh009.dat
    perfi009.dat
    perfmon.exe
    perfmon.msc
    perfnet.dll
    perfnw.dll
    perfos.dll
    perproc.dll
    perfstingbackup.ini
    perfts.dll
    perfwci.ini

    The system Obviously re-established the connection to the files, and
    automatically re-created certain entries for the service.
    Whether or not any of my "tempering" solved the problem is unclear, it could
    be that windows will re-create the missing entries as part of the windows
    protected files system. (similar to what happens when the WMI entries are
    removed)

    Thanks Wesley Vogel for all your assistance!!

Windows Server 2003 Registry Windows XP