System Restore won't work in XP Pro

Each time I try to run System Restore I get the following error:

System Restore cannot run until you restart the computer. Please restart the
computer,
and then run System Restore again.

I did find a fix but it is for Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

Can some please hel me to resolve this issue?

TIA
JGage
5 answers Last reply
More about system restore work

    "JEG" <champion02@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Each time I try to run System Restore I get the following error:
    >
    >System Restore cannot run until you restart the computer. Please restart the
    >computer,
    >and then run System Restore again.
    >
    >I did find a fix but it is for Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    >
    >Can some please hel me to resolve this issue?
    >
    >TIA
    >JGage

    See MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hi,

    Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

    Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    Click on System in the left pane.
    Click the gray title “Source” at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
    sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
    upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
    information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    JEG wrote:
    > Each time I try to run System Restore I get the following
    > error:
    > System Restore cannot run until you restart the computer.
    > Please restart the computer,
    > and then run System Restore again.
    >
    > I did find a fix but it is for Microsoft Windows
    > Millennium Edition Keywords: kbprb KB274092 and not for
    > XP either Home or Pro Edition
    > Can some please hel me to resolve this issue?
    >
    > TIA
    > JGage

    To reinstall system restore, go to folder options, view, and check show
    hidden files & folders, un-check hide extensions of known file types, apply,
    ok.. Go to c:\windows\inf and right click the sr.inf file and click install.
    This re-installation will wipe out all preexisting restore points and you
    will be starting from scratch, so be warned.

    Hope this helps..
    j;-)

    "JEG" wrote:

    > Each time I try to run System Restore I get the following error:
    >
    > System Restore cannot run until you restart the computer. Please restart the
    > computer,
    > and then run System Restore again.
    >
    > I did find a fix but it is for Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    >
    > Can some please hel me to resolve this issue?
    >
    > TIA
    > JGage

    Here are the error messages for you to review

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7023
    Date: 8/29/2005
    Time: 4:39:45 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: INDIVIDU-2W9M3G
    The System Restore Service service terminated with the following error:
    The system cannot find the drive specified.

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SRService
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 104
    Date: 9/8/2005
    Time: 7:30:15 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: INDIVIDU-2W9M3G

    The System Restore initialization process failed.

    Data:
    0000: 0f 00 00 00 ....

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
    >
    > Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    > Click on System in the left pane.
    > Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the
    > right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    > Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the
    > two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information
    > to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the two event here.
    > This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    > System Restore Failures to restore:
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >

    > JEG wrote:
    >> Each time I try to run System Restore I get the following
    >> error:
    >> System Restore cannot run until you restart the computer.
    >> Please restart the computer,
    >> and then run System Restore again.
    >>
    >> I did find a fix but it is for Microsoft Windows
    >> Millennium Edition Keywords: kbprb KB274092 and not for
    >> XP either Home or Pro Edition
    >> Can some please hel me to resolve this issue?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> JGage

    Hi,

    Does an external hard drive get connected and disconnected from this system?

    --

    JEG wrote:
    > Here are the error messages for you to review
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Service Control Manager
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 7023
    > Date: 8/29/2005
    > Time: 4:39:45 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: INDIVIDU-2W9M3G
    > The System Restore Service service terminated with the
    > following error: The system cannot find the drive
    > specified. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: SRService
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 104
    > Date: 9/8/2005
    > Time: 7:30:15 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: INDIVIDU-2W9M3G
    >
    > The System Restore initialization process failed.
    >

    > "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP. Go to Start - Run
    >> and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    >> Click on System in the left pane.
    >> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
    >> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
    >> look for "sr" and "srservice". Double click on each of these events, then click on the
    >> button below the two arrows in the upper right corner.
    >> This will copy the event information to the clipboard.
    >> Paste the information for each of the two event here.
    >> This will help us in diagnosing the problem. System Restore Failures to restore:
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org
    >>

    >> JEG wrote:
    >>> Each time I try to run System Restore I get the
    >>> following error:
    >>> System Restore cannot run until you restart the
    >>> computer. Please restart the computer,
    >>> and then run System Restore again.
    >>>
    >>> I did find a fix but it is for Microsoft Windows
    >>> Millennium Edition Keywords: kbprb KB274092 and not for
    >>> XP either Home or Pro Edition
    >>> Can some please hel me to resolve this issue?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> JGage

Computers Microsoft System Restore Windows XP