Sign in with
Your question

Most populated PC FPS Besides BF3

Last response: in Video Games
March 9, 2012 2:04:44 PM

Hello!,

im enjoying bf3 but i want to get more shooters on my pc.

medal of honor is basicly dead,
im sick of playing halflife 2 deathmatch
crysis 2 i heard it sucks balls (played the singleplayer mode/pirated)
CoD?... im not 11 years old or 13 more like 24

i cant find a actual list of the most populated games online only for consoles.

can anyone help me out ?

i play on Origin and Steam

More about : populated fps bf3

March 9, 2012 2:17:19 PM

really, counterstrike 1.6 -_-

ok what are the most populated games with awesome graphics!
on origin or non-steam non-origin.

does anyone play Homefront anymore?
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2012 4:34:59 PM

Team fortress 2 maybe? Its a little different but still pretty fun.
m
l
March 9, 2012 4:35:44 PM

cm0scm0s said:
really, counterstrike 1.6 -_-

ok what are the most populated games with awesome graphics!
on origin or non-steam non-origin.

does anyone play Homefront anymore?

I still play counter strike :na: 
m
l
March 9, 2012 5:40:28 PM

CS Source, TF2, CoD, and BF3 are the big four fps mp games. Beyond that there are smaller pockets of numerous other games that may have some multiplayer gameplay active.

I actually thought the Crysis 2 multiplayer was fun. Thought the map design was great. The biggest problem everyone had is that they were expecting Crysis 1 multiplayer - the devs moved away from the more open multiplayer style of Crysis 1 to more of a fast paced infantry style of gameplay (think CoD/MoH with nanosuites). The nanosuite did add some nice multiplayer elements. If you don't go into it expecting Crysis 1, it's actually pretty good. However, I haven't loaded it up in quite some time so I don't know that you'll find too many servers.

I do find Gothem City Imposters a lot of fun. Again, not sure how many people are playing it. The game only has 5 maps so the numbers dropped off pretty quickly. I haven't had many problems finding TDM games, but the other two game modes can take a while for a lobby to fill. (a sale and some map packs should rejuvenate the game for a while).

The most recent Transformers game was another game with great mp that really never got a big crowd. I think there are still some active servers, but probably not too many.

ARMA 2 has a pretty hardcore dedicated crowd if you're into the ultra realistic style of gameplay.

I thought Homefront was a pile of crap. I was really looking forward to that game since I loved Fuel of War, which was the devs previous title (played a lot like Battlefield). However what they delivered was utter junk (imo). They tried to merge BF and CoD style of gameplay together and it didn't work well at all. There are probably still servers active, but I would imagine not too many.

I do LOVE Red Orchestra 2. It's one of those games you'll either love or hate. There seems to be no in between. Game plays like Battlefield's conquest mode (although cap areas are much larger than BF and become an intense game of hide and seek in multi-level buildings when trying to capture them). The game is more infantry focused and leans toward the more realistic side as one bullet can kill you. Unfortunately it had a very rough launch with some major bugs (small developer) and the crowd thinned. There are still active servers and the devs are working on improvments and free maps, so this should bring back some of the crowd. In addition, there are quite a few mods in development for the game that should prolong the life.

m
l
March 9, 2012 7:21:36 PM

heids24 said:
CS Source, TF2, CoD, and BF3 are the big four fps mp games. Beyond that there are smaller pockets of numerous other games that may have some multiplayer gameplay active.

I actually thought the Crysis 2 multiplayer was fun. Thought the map design was great. The biggest problem everyone had is that they were expecting Crysis 1 multiplayer - the devs moved away from the more open multiplayer style of Crysis 1 to more of a fast paced infantry style of gameplay (think CoD/MoH with nanosuites). The nanosuite did add some nice multiplayer elements. If you don't go into it expecting Crysis 1, it's actually pretty good. However, I haven't loaded it up in quite some time so I don't know that you'll find too many servers.

I do find Gothem City Imposters a lot of fun. Again, not sure how many people are playing it. The game only has 5 maps so the numbers dropped off pretty quickly. I haven't had many problems finding TDM games, but the other two game modes can take a while for a lobby to fill. (a sale and some map packs should rejuvenate the game for a while).

The most recent Transformers game was another game with great mp that really never got a big crowd. I think there are still some active servers, but probably not too many.

ARMA 2 has a pretty hardcore dedicated crowd if you're into the ultra realistic style of gameplay.

I thought Homefront was a pile of crap. I was really looking forward to that game since I loved Fuel of War, which was the devs previous title (played a lot like Battlefield). However what they delivered was utter junk (imo). They tried to merge BF and CoD style of gameplay together and it didn't work well at all. There are probably still servers active, but I would imagine not too many.

I do LOVE Red Orchestra 2. It's one of those games you'll either love or hate. There seems to be no in between. Game plays like Battlefield's conquest mode (although cap areas are much larger than BF and become an intense game of hide and seek in multi-level buildings when trying to capture them). The game is more infantry focused and leans toward the more realistic side as one bullet can kill you. Unfortunately it had a very rough launch with some major bugs (small developer) and the crowd thinned. There are still active servers and the devs are working on improvments and free maps, so this should bring back some of the crowd. In addition, there are quite a few mods in development for the game that should prolong the life.

lol i actually played Homefront - Demo on the ps3 when it came out i couldnt believe the level of noobness there, to me thats a game for when ur depressed when u see ur 3-60 score ull feel happy again . i do agree the game was absolute *** , i was just wondering if its crowded there . (because it would probably be cheap as *** )

Crysis 2 is really cheap atm i thnk 20 euro's on origin. but i dont know,

believe it or not i really liked Fear 2 mutliplayer on the ps3 . its as dead as a rock now

Now im just playing on the pc,
i just installed team fortess 2 , it was a bore.. people didnt even try to doge the sniper shots.

i HATE games where nobody talks like medal of honor and bf3 , back in the day of redfaction and css everyone used to use the chat , but now its radio silence.

im just really looking for something fun on the PC ,

all i do now is play battlefield. and for all who read this

let me explain why Medal of Honor sucks * off topic *
even in the little baby childrens game Call of durpy when u shoot someone hes dead period end of discussion, but in medal of honor pff
the game has some sort of lag compensation so that nobody has a ping but we all share the same or something im not sure but , no joke yesterday i emptied 3 clips on the back of someone's head ,.. knifed him twice and he turned arround after the onslaught and shot me with 1 bullet ..SCREW moh.

Id really REALLY like a cool game on the pc like unreal tournamnt or redfaction or counterstrike only NEW.

ill try the demo of the gotham and red orchestra

tnx for the advice .

anymore?
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:22:11 PM

offcourse i ment 60-3 :p 

Did u meen transformers dark side of the moon ?
meh it doesnt really seem like a game more like a Movie game ( wich always suck)
m
l
March 9, 2012 8:13:39 PM

Obviously the other most-populated FPS's in addition to BF3 would be MW3 and TF2. After those, BFBC2 still has a LARGE and very dedicated following.

Crysis 2 still has a following and there are still servers going on although not to the degree there should be.

MOH is an awful game don't bother.

Quake Live is still kicking.

CS Source is still alive and CS:GO is coming this year.

Tribes Ascend is a good game so far, but it will cater more to people who have been in the FPS genre since before the turn to attempts at ultra-realistic warfare. Maybe not so much to the BF3 and COD crowds.
m
l
March 9, 2012 8:23:24 PM

yeah i used to play tribes 2 let me download that,

it super sucks that nobody plays crysis 2 i liked the graphs alot ,
as for mw3 im not going to play against infants,
1 battlefield is enough for me
quake needs a new version with hd graphics and dx11
i payd for freggin css and lost my cd key after a pc crash in 2007
CS GO will be a ftw buy aspecially because everyone on the xbox and ps3 who do not use the mousy and qwerty keyboard will DIE without resistance,

is that it ? did i really spend so much money to upgrade from a e6600 to this machine only to play Dolphin and Battlefield 3 .. so sad

wish there was something more .. i see nobody mentions fear 3 i gues thats dead also ,team fortresss .. i just played a match REALLY crowded and chaotic reminds me of quake and UT

Im really looking for Next gen high end graphics online games that are popular , any hope for crysis 2 to increase on players?

Ps : i Condemn the stupid consoles with internet they took our pc gamer community appart. thats why people still play old *** and the companies dont make revisions or new games from the old ones because they know !
m
l
March 9, 2012 8:33:54 PM

cm0scm0s said:
yeah i used to play tribes 2 let me download that,

it super sucks that nobody plays crysis 2 i liked the graphs alot ,
as for mw3 im not going to play against infants,
1 battlefield is enough for me
quake needs a new version with hd graphics and dx11
i payd for freggin css and lost my cd key after a pc crash in 2007
CS GO will be a ftw buy aspecially because everyone on the xbox and ps3 who do not use the mousy and qwerty keyboard will DIE without resistance,

is that it ? did i really spend so much money to upgrade from a e6600 to this machine only to play Dolphin and Battlefield 3 .. so sad

wish there was something more .. i see nobody mentions fear 3 i gues thats dead also ,team fortresss .. i just played a match REALLY crowded and chaotic reminds me of quake and UT

Im really looking for Next gen high end graphics online games that are popular , any hope for crysis 2 to increase on players?

Ps : i Condemn the stupid consoles with internet they took our pc gamer community appart. thats why people still play old *** and the companies dont make revisions or new games from the old ones because they know !

CS GO dropped cross platform support for the launch. They said they wanted to be able to update it regularly and the update process for consoles took too long and would drag down the PC experience. That includes Macs too, I bet getting an update through Apple is a *****. Don't really care for the Mac crowd though, if they gaming on a Mac, the CS GO community is better off without them.
m
l
March 9, 2012 8:44:23 PM

If you really like Crysis 2, then just buy it and play the multiplayer. Just because there isn't a large community does not mean that there isn't a community at all. There are people playing.

On the whole MW3 is for infants thing, this is kind of a lame misnomer. The demographic for each FPS on each platform age-wise is very similar. If you think that one is more mature than another, or that maturity in gaming is some point for critical acclaim you're only kidding yourself. Very applicable is C.S. Lewis's famous quote,
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adults themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.... When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. "
m
l
March 9, 2012 10:01:50 PM

casualcolors said:
If you really like Crysis 2, then just buy it and play the multiplayer. Just because there isn't a large community does not mean that there isn't a community at all. There are people playing.

On the whole MW3 is for infants thing, this is kind of a lame misnomer. The demographic for each FPS on each platform age-wise is very similar. If you think that one is more mature than another, or that maturity in gaming is some point for critical acclaim you're only kidding yourself. Very applicable is C.S. Lewis's famous quote,
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adults themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.... When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. "

Actually , recent ( 2 year old ) studies show that the call of duty community exists almost only out of children ranging from the ages 8 to our age,
it has become a fad like other things used to be to us , i dunno flippo's or something. Not only will you get laughed at if you play it (what happend to use multiple times via audio if u reveal that your age is 18+ you will be mocked of your age, the kids that are on there are mostly extremely obnoxious and egotistical.
far be it for me to call you the term CoD Fanboy but if the shoe fits..

Psychiatrist are getting more and more questions from parents who are unsure if they should purchase this game for their child. (children from 8-13).
Even children that do NOT play call of duty or have never plaid it , know it is SUPER cool and u are NOT cool if u do not play it or think it is cool.

The basic structure of such a community sickends me and every game clan i have represented. I do not like fads, i do not like children that are disrespecfull to others , sadly so the playgrounds of cod are litterly playgrounds.

I will steer away from this childish, filled with racists, over obnoxious noobs that never heard of teamplay noobs again noobs .. sigh seriously they just ruin the whole gaming experiance,

I remember when i was a kid and were in many clan's , i made friends from all ages kids from 12 to gamers in their 30's ..things where diffrent back then.
nowa days people dont even talk in chatboxes anymore only obnoxious infant voices over the mic cursing and complaining about how their ego match did not go as they wanted it to.

If you distrust my first hand info look it up on google.

Take notice in that my neighbour is a CoD Bo addict and sadly enough for a year now i play about 50 matches a week with him online on the ps3.
He does not even know what a clanlike community is.. with a website and jokes and awesome screenies and all that good stuff ...

To end my rant , i have a question for u do u play cod ? cuz i do .. and me no like.. not 1 bit. and its not the gameplay that would be pretty funny if it was not ruined

m
l
March 9, 2012 10:13:36 PM

johnsonma said:
CS GO dropped cross platform support for the launch. They said they wanted to be able to update it regularly and the update process for consoles took too long and would drag down the PC experience. That includes Macs too, I bet getting an update through Apple is a *****. Don't really care for the Mac crowd though, if they gaming on a Mac, the CS GO community is better off without them.

teh fudge i was really looking forward to the whole crossplatform thing.. (sadface)
m
l
March 9, 2012 10:22:13 PM

casualcolors said:

your opinion is very objective and politicaly correct, but seriously trust me , there is no fun when it is like this.
Gameplay is in that genre is built opun teamwork , it simply does not exist . and i have nothing against children and indeed that is a wise quotation, but this is a whole different ballgame. I'm not judging the game by the fact that children love it . the thing is the game is rated M for mature not only due to graphic violence and and other such factors but also because of tactics and teamwork that needs to be applied.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100118...

i like this response,

aspecially the part about how 11 year old punks

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9089238 this i just had to post , check out reason number 3 , i will quote this

Number 3:
Story and setting is very important to me in games, I'd much rather play a 40+ hour RPG than a generic fps multiplayer game filled with 13 year old pre pubescent nymph's who think it's okay to call everyone anyting from the N word to a homosexual. the last CoD game I played was MW2 and the story didnt last 6 hours, I finished it in one day, and that's not enough to keep me hooked, traded the game in for a pre order a week later. ....

13 year old pre pubescent nymphs ... golden stuff man .. classic

http://www.destructoid.com/why-do-the-kids-love-call-of...
this is an article about why KIDS love cod.. KIDS not men or women or dogs or cats but KIDS
m
l
March 9, 2012 10:29:23 PM

cm0scm0s said:
your opinion is very objective and politicaly correct, but seriously trust me , there is no fun when it is like this.
Gameplay is in that genre is built opun teamwork , it simply does not exist . and i have nothing against children and indeed that is a wise quotation, but this is a whole different ballgame. I'm not judging the game by the fact that children love it . the thing is the game is rated M for mature not only due to graphic violence and and other such factors but also because of tactics and teamwork that needs to be applied.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100118...

i like this response,

aspecially the part about how 11 year old punks

To be clear, I'm not denying that COD has a community made up largely of self-entitled children, but so does every other video game. They are video games. And in particular, multiplayer internet video games have been dominated by the younger crowd since, well, since I was part of the younger crowd myself. I remember in the mid 90's having to lie about my age to be eligible for spots in competitive clans in the FPS's that were hot during that day. In reality, probably 50% of an "18+" or "21+" clan was comprised of people not much older than 14. It's no different today. It's just reflective of who actually plays video games.

The bit about parents inquiring with psychiatrists as to whether or not they should subject their kid to the COD community is interesting, but not really relevant to the point unfortunately. And while COD carries this moniker of being for kids, if you asked a young teenager if BF3 for instance had a lot of people his/her age in it, they would likely respond that it does. And it does, as well as a lot of older gamers. People tend to gravitate toward others that are similar to them, even in online gaming. And the people you play with largely dictate your impression of the game's community, but that doesn't necessarily make it accurate or inaccurate. There isn't any real concrete correlation.

On a side note, I think there are plenty of legit reasons to dislike MW3, from it basically being a 60 dollar map pack, to the general gameplay elements. I just don't think labeling it as a kids game is a real gripe. Every game is for kids.

cm0scm0s said:

this is an article about why KIDS love cod.. KIDS not men or women or dogs or cats but KIDS

Same goes for this. It's interesting but not really relevant. X doesn't disprove Y. Kids like COD, but that doesn't mean that adults dislike it. With 13 million or whatever it was copies of MW3 sold, I think you would be misleading yourself if you believed it had a community with even an 80% composition of neophytes. Likewise, BF3's community isn't 80% career-oriented suit and tie adults. Each game revolves around a general age bracket from age 12 to age 30, just like virtually every other video game in the modern market.

I think Destructoid is going to pretty great lengths to address the topic in the most vastly empty platitudes by the way. You could subject every highly recognized game title to the same scrutiny and reason similar conclusions, going back to Mortal Kombat. In fact I could probably make a reasonable argument that Mortal Kombat was so immensely popular because the generation getting their parents to purchase it on sega genesis were the same kids who had their first experience in the theatre watching Raphael and Casey Jones duke it out in a park. But that would just be dumb.

As a matter of fact, if you removed all of the anecdotes from the article, you could apply it verbatim to BF3 as well.

Sorry this is getting ridiculously sidetracked and it's your thread. If you want to go back to talking about the main topic let me know and I'll shut up =).
m
l
March 9, 2012 10:46:15 PM

casualcolors said:
To be clear, I'm not denying that COD has a community made up largely of self-entitled children, but so does every other video game. They are video games. And in particular, multiplayer internet video games have been dominated by the younger crowd since, well, since I was part of the younger crowd myself. I remember in the mid 90's having to lie about my age to be eligible for spots in competitive clans in the FPS's that were hot during that day. In reality, probably 50% of an "18+" or "21+" clan was comprised of people not much older than 14. It's no different today. It's just reflective of who actually plays video games.

The bit about parents inquiring with psychiatrists as to whether or not they should subject their kid to the COD community is interesting, but not really relevant to the point unfortunately. And while COD carries this moniker of being for kids, if you asked a young teenager if BF3 for instance had a lot of people his/her age in it, they would likely respond that it does. And it does, as well as a lot of older gamers. People tend to gravitate toward others that are similar to them, even in online gaming. And the people you play with largely dictate your impression of the game's community, but that doesn't necessarily make it accurate or inaccurate. There isn't any real concrete correlation.

On a side note, I think there are plenty of legit reasons to dislike MW3, from it basically being a 60 dollar map pack, to the general gameplay elements. I just don't think labeling it as a kids game is a real gripe. Every game is for kids.

Actually the parents inquiring at psychiatrist about cod is very relevant , because it is another factor of proof of how the community is dominated by children, So much that parents need to inquire about buying their 11 year old a game for 18+

your childhood is not important now, nor is mine these were different times and the children these days are . and i quote http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9089238

"Number 3:
Story and setting is very important to me in games, I'd much rather play a 40+ hour RPG than a generic fps multiplayer game filled with 13 year old pre pubescent nymph's who think it's okay to call everyone anyting from the N word to a homosexual. the last CoD game I played was MW2 and the story didnt last 6 hours, I finished it in one day, and that's not enough to keep me hooked, traded the game in for a pre order a week later. .... "

perhaps i should give my own twist to this,

i believe they are respectless little monkeys that seriously do not care about teamwork, otherpeople, etc..
a gamer must have at least dropped his balls and be a good person to others,

this game has become a fad inhabited by respectless primitives that ruin everything. and ur right there are so many reasons to hate mw3 its just another 60 euro's for the same game they gave us before..

As children we needed to lie about our age to get in clans, yes but from our behaviiour this was believed.. there is no way in hell i would believe that any of those little respectless rats would be of an older age than they claim, it just shows by how they act / behave and play.

and believe me when i say it was not like that in other games, even if they were dominated by children aswel.. i believe u but im sure about one thing and that is that COD have summoned the scum of the earth to play .. no nice people .. why >? because they are 8-13 year old that have no respect.

anyway i will not be buying this game seriously check out this website, it is quite informative.

Do not forget children are the cruelest .. u know some people get teased at schools and stuff .. its always been like that ,. but the nerds the one's with the brains they turned to gaming .. thats why the IQ of the gaming community was so high back in the day.

but now EVERY kid and even pre-kid if u ask me plays this stuff .. that makes for alot of bad apples. im not going to be in a spetnaz or us army team with them they can all play against eachoter and teach eachoter new curse words they dont know yet . .

But seriously i just checked out the server lists of Crysis 2 . there are 3 full servers of 16 players and 20 that are decaying .. where will my 20 euro investment be in 2 years? just me and some sad feller who thought .. OMG Crysis 2 for 1 euro ? ima buy that!!!
m
l
March 9, 2012 10:50:44 PM

From http://www.destructoid.com/why-do-the-kids-love-call-of...

Why do the kids love Call of Duty?
4:00 PM on 07.10.2011 | Jonathan Holmes
203 comments

Why do the kids love Call of Duty? photo
#Call of Duty #Destructoid Originals #Destructoid Originals #Fat Kids #Top Stories #video games motherfuckers!

I was at GameStop the other day, and there was a family in front of me in line -- a man, a woman, a baby, and what looked like a six-year-old girl. The little girl was wearing a bright green dress and seemed happy about everything. As the family got to the front of the line, the little girl noticed the store's DSi XL display unit, which was running the DS version of Call of Duty: Black Ops.

"Call of Duty! Call of Duty! Call of Duty! Weeee!" she squealed, jumping up and down while spinning with her arms outstretched. "No," said the one I presume was the mom, "We're getting a family game today." "But I want Call of Duty!" barked the little girl, punctuated with a pout and a "harumph!"

This isn't the first time this month I've seen a little kid proclaim their love for Call of Duty. Last week, I was shopping at Best Buy with a friend and his two nephews, ages six and eight. As we were looking at videogames, the kids were overjoyed to tell me all about how much they knew about Pokemon, Bakugan, and Kirby's Epic Yarn, but it wasn't until we saw the store's Call of Duty: Black Ops display that they really flipped out. "I love that game! I LOVE IT SO MUCH," said the eight-year-old. I asked him what he liked about it. "The killing..." he said, in a sing-song, matter-of-fact tone.

From there, I asked all my parent friends if their children were into Call of Duty. With the exception of the few who have a total ban on videogames and television, they were unanimous. Their kids thought Call of Duty was cool, regardless of whether they've played it or not. Even the kids that weren't into the series reported that everyone knows that Call of Duty is either "cool" or "super cool." Not quite as cool as Harry Potter or Justin Bieber, but still pretty cool.

So why is it that kids love -- or at least respect -- Call of Duty? How is it that they've even played these games? Aren't they rated M for mature?

Here are a few theories.

It's M for mature

Ever since the ESRB came into effect, I've noticed an inverse relationship between a game's rating and a game's target audience. Everyone I know who's over 40 only plays games that are rated E (assuming they play videogames at all), those under 40 are willing to play games that are either E, T, or M, and those under 20 tend to be particularly attracted to M-rated games. This seems to be particularly true of kids under ten. It's the same old paradigm -- kids want to be grown ups, and grown ups want to be kids again. That's pretty much common knowledge when it comes to lightweight sociology.

Even still, it's surprising to me how much younger kids are attracted specifically to videogames that are supposedly made for adults, while they are content with "age appropriate" books and music. These kids have no interest in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or the music of Tom Waits. They're totally content with kid-friendly fair, like the previously mentioned Harry Potter and Justin Bieber.

So what do Bieber, Call of Duty, and Harry Potter all have in common?

A childlike simplicity

Today's kids have grown up under the shadow of 9/11 and the wars that followed. All they've ever known is a world in which some strange men from a strange country may end up killing innocent Americans. Wrapping your head around the religious, political, geo-financial, and cultural dynamics of the War on Terror is hard enough for adults, let alone kids.

The Call of Duty series takes war and terrorism and turns it into a game. You've got a gun, and you and your team have to shoot the bad guys. That's really all there is to it, at least on the surface. While Activision definitely makes a token effort to present the series as more complex than that, it's arguable that the majority of Call of Duty fans couldn't care less about the series' narrative. You don't need to pay attention to the story to know what to do in a Call of Duty game. All you need to know is that you're one of the good guys, the other guys are bad, and that the path to awesomeness is paved with the dead bodies of your enemies.

If I were a little kid today, terrified and confused by the concepts of war and terrorism, I'd be all about Call of Duty. On one hand, the games makes the player feel empowered and turns war into a just another game, where death is no big deal and killing is fun. That's a much easier pill to swallow than the reality of modern warfare and the death that accompanies it.

Speaking of reality...

It looks so real

One of the biggest selling points for the Call of Duty series is its graphics. The explosions, the backgrounds, and the characters look more real than most games. Personally, it's been a long time since I've been impressed with a game for just its realistic graphics. Sure, if a game uses a realistic look to show us something interesting or imaginative, I wouldn't be opposed to it, but realism for realism's sake does nothing for me.

It's like a magic trick -- when you're kid, seeing a guy pull a quarter out of your ear can transport your brain to a truly amazing place. Part of you knows it must be sleight of hand, but another part of you believes that maybe the impossible is reality. When those two parts of the brain meet, magic happens.

That magic is ruined once you've looked behind the curtain. When you know how a trick is done, your childlike sense of wonder gets turned off, and your cynical "adult" brain turns on. The same goes for graphics. When all you think of when you see a "realistic"-looking game is photographs of real objects applied as texture maps, motion capture actors, particle effects, a millions of dollars worth of rendering software, the magic is gone.

For most kids, none of that applies. Suspension of disbelief is a much easier feat to achieve for a young mind. When they see a realistic-looking game, they don't think about how it was made, or how much it cost to produce. They just think about how awesome it looks, and how fun it is to be in the game's world. The Call of Duty series feels more real to a kid than it ever will for me, and in that way, I envy the children.

And finally...

Competition is everything

There isn't too much to say about this one. Call of Duty multiplayer is highly competitive; just as a kid is more likely to get deeply invested emotionally in a game of dodgeball or Pokemon cards, they're also more likely to get invested in competing in an online shooter. Adults are usually too caught up in real-life pursuits like making money, finding love, and keeping from getting too fat or otherwise shortening their lifespan. Kids don't have to worry about that stuff, so by comparison, games like Call of Duty and others feels like a much bigger deal to them. In their world, ranking yourself and your peers based on stuff like your skill and dedication to gaming makes perfect sense.

This really hit home for me when I overheard my video producer Andy talking to his twelve-year-old nephew about Call of Duty: Black Ops. Growing up, Andy was his nephew's idol. Apparently, things have changed now that Call of Duty: Black Ops has entered their lives. The nephew wanted to know how many times Andy had "prestiged" in the game. Andy said, "Once, then I quit playing because I'd seen everything the game had to show me."

The nephew looked appalled.

"Only one prestige? I thought you were cool..." he said, his voice descending into a pit of genuine disappointment. "I've prestiged four times, and I'm still not as cool at my friend Lawrence. He's prestiged six times, and he's just eleven-years-old." Andy tried to defend himself with the old "Sorry dude, I was busy making money and going on dates with beautiful women," response, which apparently didn't do much for his rep.

"I don't even want to know what your highest kill streak is," his nephew muttered. "If it's below 20, I'm going to be so disappointed."

Conclusion

If you walk into a room full of adults and ask them if they want to run around outside and play with some squirt guns, chances are they'll either laugh in your face, or awkwardly look away, hoping that you're just making a weird joke. Do the same thing with a group of eight- to twelve-year-olds, and they'll immediately start dividing themselves into teams, Super Soakers in hand.

Call of Duty is just the videogame adaptation of squirt guns. It makes sense that kids would be drawn to it more so than many adults. The simplicity and sense of empowerment that come from taking a gun and shooting at something or someone knows no age restrictions. However, it does demand a child-like sensibility to take such pursuits seriously enough to prioritize them over other activities. That's why I'm guessing kids love Call of Duty so much.

Now it's just time to wait and see how long it takes for teenagers to catch on to the fact that eight-year-olds love Call of Duty before they start hating it. I wonder what they'll start playing instead? Probably something with guns and boobs. There's nothing like boobs to keep the kids away.

m
l
March 9, 2012 10:53:22 PM

cm0scm0s said:
Actually the parents inquiring at psychiatrist about cod is very relevant , because it is another factor of proof of how the community is dominated by children, So much that parents need to inquire about buying their 11 year old a game for 18+

This doesn't constitute proof. It doesn't even really address the topic.

This would be proof in a network news special on COD perhaps, but it doesn't withstand the most modest rigor of actual debate =).

And Crysis 2's multiplayer won't be alive and kicking in 2 years, so if you're looking for a long term investment you'll be best to avoid it. If you just want to have fun for now with a game that you said you otherwise enjoy, go for it. Your call.

Really I'll pose this as my summation on the whole topic of COD is for kids etc; if you worry about what games are for kids you'll quickly find that you have no games left to play. I don't think you've crossed this bridge yet but as you get older, the age group that you define as "kids" expands pretty rapidly. By the time you're 30, it constitutes everyone 21 and under. If I started to worry now about what games were for "kids" I'd be stuck playing Slingo with a bunch of chainsmoking single mothers.
m
l
March 9, 2012 11:05:50 PM

casualcolors said:
This doesn't constitute proof. It doesn't even really address the topic.

This would be proof in a network news special on COD perhaps, but it doesn't withstand the most modest rigor of actual debate =).

And Crysis 2's multiplayer won't be alive and kicking in 2 years, so if you're looking for a long term investment you'll be best to avoid it. If you just want to have fun for now with a game that you said you otherwise enjoy, go for it. Your call.

Really I'll pose this as my summation on the whole topic of COD is for kids etc; if you worry about what games are for kids you'll quickly find that you have no games left to play. I don't think you've crossed this bridge yet but as you get older, the age group that you define as "kids" expands pretty rapidly. By the time you're 30, it constitutes everyone 21 and under. If I started to worry now about what games were for "kids" I'd be stuck playing Slingo with a bunch of chainsmoking single mothers.

Lol yes, but the blood and gore is fine .. im against multiplayer gore games for kids.
there is a big differance.

and why my argument was proof of how

I say 8 year old respectless kids play this game, you say kids are everywhere, i say this game is a fad so ALL the kids play it even the rotten one's
to prove that ALL kids , kids that like soccer kids that like hoolah hoops kids that like what ever they ALL like CoD because it is a fad . can be proven by the fact that Many parents more than normally inquire about theyr kids and CoD .

Knowing the fact that ALOT of parents inquire about COD at a psych , meaning that the majority of kids play THIS game in particular (and a percentage of kids are rotten apples , ) proves my theory that cod is full of rotten kids , my argument they are 11 year old respectless shitheads. In contrast to years ago when only nerdy kids played games and were nice to eachoter . Asuming all the rotten kids and the rest of them (according to the article starting at 6 why do they like it?? they like the killing ) are playing COD we can asume that other games are not as poluted, this would be incircumstantial evidence but evidence non the less .

Then screw Crysis 2 i will wait (for ever and ever) for Guild Wars 2 wich will be in turn awesome even tho it is not a FPS , perhaps Unreal will bring a UT3 and perhaps another awesome shooter will come out of the blue .
m
l
March 9, 2012 11:12:17 PM

QUAKELIVE.COM

free, but might be too hard for you noobs.
m
l
March 12, 2012 1:47:02 PM

Payday: The Heist is a pretty good PC shooter. Its you and 3 other people against the A.I. Trying to rob banks and drug dealers and stuff, pretty good game and its cheap.
m
l
!