Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Repair

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 8:49:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi
due to a problem with MSconfig I want to run the repair facility.

When I am prompted to put the disc into the computer, can someone tell me
what disc it refers to . Is it the original XP program disc or the SP2
update disc.

Your help would be appreciated.


Regards

More about : repair

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:56:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

If your setup disk was slipstreamed with SP2, use it..If not and the SP2 disk
is an update disk only and not the full version/upgrade of XP SP2, use your
original XP setup disk..

See link for repair:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport...
See more on slipstreaming, how to etc.. here:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1626&p...
Hope this helps..
j;-)

"chesjak" wrote:

> Hi
> due to a problem with MSconfig I want to run the repair facility.
>
> When I am prompted to put the disc into the computer, can someone tell me
> what disc it refers to . Is it the original XP program disc or the SP2
> update disc.
>
> Your help would be appreciated.
>
>
> Regards
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 8:54:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Ches

You will have to 'slipstream' SP2 into an XP CD.. go to here for
instructions on this entire process..

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm


--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User


"chesjak" <chesjak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A7C9EDAC-9DA1-4B15-B419-4FBC0282A910@microsoft.com...
> Hi
> due to a problem with MSconfig I want to run the repair facility.
>
> When I am prompted to put the disc into the computer, can someone tell me
> what disc it refers to . Is it the original XP program disc or the SP2
> update disc.
>
> Your help would be appreciated.
>
>
> Regards
Related resources
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:12:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi

Jaymon and Mike Hall (MS-MVP) - Thanks for your reply.

After having read all that you suggest and especially the "warnings 1&2"
Mike, I wonder if there is another way for me to go. The reason I wanted to
do a repair is as follows: and sorry it is so long!!
=====================================================

When I look at Startup in MSconfig, I notice that there five entries that
are not necessary so I tried to delete them.

I de-ticked the box for each of them and clicked apply. I then re-started
and the usual screen came up telling me that I was using a modified Startup.
I t ticked the box to say that I did not want the screen to show up the next
time. However every time I start up, it does show up.

In addition to this the five entries in Startup that I de-ticked are now
ticked again.

These Items are no longer on my computer and I have even gone into System
registry HKLM\software\MSwindows\current version\run to delete all five
items.

I come out of the registry and check the Startup again only to find that the
entries that I de-ticked are now ticked again and still there. I look into
the registry and find that the items are back in there also and have not been
deleted.

I have also looked at this with Startup Inspector program. Thsi shows me
that the five items in question "the file does not exist"

Even deleting them with Startup Inspector does not get rid of them.

Three of the files are:

c:\program files\microsoft antispyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\program files\executive software\diskeeper\DKICON.exe
%system root"\system32\dumprep 0-K
and also a ticked entry with nothing in the COMMAND COLUMN but a registry
location (as is all of them) of HKLM\software\ms windows\current version\run

As I said earlier, I have deleted the above using Ad\Remove so I know they
are not on the system any longer.

Why, if the files do not exist, can I not delete them
Why, if I delete them in the registry, do they keep comming back.
Have you any idea as to what is going wrong and how I can rectify this.
================================================

Is there any other way I can rectify the MSconfig\Startup problem apart from
a repair /install

Once again thanks for your help.

Regards

=============================================




"chesjak" wrote:

> Hi
> due to a problem with MSconfig I want to run the repair facility.
>
> When I am prompted to put the disc into the computer, can someone tell me
> what disc it refers to . Is it the original XP program disc or the SP2
> update disc.
>
> Your help would be appreciated.
>
>
> Regards
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:56:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi

Zankhna - Thanks for your reply -

I have turned off the "Write an event to system log" as you suggested and
used CCCleaner as I also do but
a) When I use CCleaner the items in question do delete and then when I go
back into CCleaner they are back again.

I have also deleted the entries in the registry but when I go back into the
registry, they are back in there also!!

I realise that the gcasServ.exe related to MS antispyware but here again I
have deleted it from my sytem using Ad\Delete and as I say deleted using
CCleaner and from Registry but they refuse to disappear!!

Lastly, On bootup and Windows loads, I then get a scren come up telling me
I am in selective startup. Which I Know. I tick the box to say don't show
the screen message again, but everytime I restart, I get that self same
screen keep comming up. It's F*....*g annoying.

Any other Ideas greatly accepted.

Regards

===============================================
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:12:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I don't know the extent of your level of knowledge but I wonder if for
the dumprep process you have selected the option to create a dump file.
Try unselecting the "write an event to the system log" box (right-click
my computer/advanced/Settings [under startup and recovery]) if you're
really sure that you don't want to have this enabled. all this does is
write a log whenever your system crashes, which might be useful for
debugging but can also take up alot of room. you can decrease the size
etc. personally i would decrease the size but keep it.

The "c:\program files\Microsoft antispyware\gcasServ.exe" process
relates to the Microsoft's antispyware program. have you tried searching
for any left over hidden files of this program?

I use the freeware software ccleaner to delete startup entries, rename
programs in the add/remove list, backup and clean registry and delete
all the basic c**p like tmp and cookies etc. Have a go with that.

as for the blank process. that's a mystery to me as well. I use to have
it but since deleting it using ccleaner its never come back and it
hasn't don't my laptop any harm. If anyone knows why/what caused it to
exist in the first place i would be interested to know.

anyway I hope this helps and if not then im sorry i cant help.

Z

chesjak wrote:
> Hi
>
> Jaymon and Mike Hall (MS-MVP) - Thanks for your reply.
>
> After having read all that you suggest and especially the "warnings 1&2"
> Mike, I wonder if there is another way for me to go. The reason I wanted to
> do a repair is as follows: and sorry it is so long!!
> =====================================================
>
> When I look at Startup in MSconfig, I notice that there five entries that
> are not necessary so I tried to delete them.
>
> I de-ticked the box for each of them and clicked apply. I then re-started
> and the usual screen came up telling me that I was using a modified Startup.
> I t ticked the box to say that I did not want the screen to show up the next
> time. However every time I start up, it does show up.
>
> In addition to this the five entries in Startup that I de-ticked are now
> ticked again.
>
> These Items are no longer on my computer and I have even gone into System
> registry HKLM\software\MSwindows\current version\run to delete all five
> items.
>
> I come out of the registry and check the Startup again only to find that the
> entries that I de-ticked are now ticked again and still there. I look into
> the registry and find that the items are back in there also and have not been
> deleted.
>
> I have also looked at this with Startup Inspector program. Thsi shows me
> that the five items in question "the file does not exist"
>
> Even deleting them with Startup Inspector does not get rid of them.
>
> Three of the files are:
>
> c:\program files\microsoft antispyware\gcasServ.exe
> C:\program files\executive software\diskeeper\DKICON.exe
> %system root"\system32\dumprep 0-K
> and also a ticked entry with nothing in the COMMAND COLUMN but a registry
> location (as is all of them) of HKLM\software\ms windows\current version\run
>
> As I said earlier, I have deleted the above using Ad\Remove so I know they
> are not on the system any longer.
>
> Why, if the files do not exist, can I not delete them
> Why, if I delete them in the registry, do they keep comming back.
> Have you any idea as to what is going wrong and how I can rectify this.
> ================================================
>
> Is there any other way I can rectify the MSconfig\Startup problem apart from
> a repair /install
>
> Once again thanks for your help.
>
> Regards
>
> =============================================
>
>
>
>
> "chesjak" wrote:
>
>
>>Hi
>>due to a problem with MSconfig I want to run the repair facility.
>>
>>When I am prompted to put the disc into the computer, can someone tell me
>>what disc it refers to . Is it the original XP program disc or the SP2
>>update disc.
>>
>>Your help would be appreciated.
>>
>>
>>Regards
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:04:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Ches

MSCONFIG is a diagnostic tool, not a fix.. to get items out of the
notification, go to each item and look for preferences that enable the item
NOT to show.. cleaning/removing items from registry can be problematic
unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing..

You might still want to take a look at this website..

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User


"chesjak" <chesjak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2CA2814C-76A9-4649-88F6-0E17478F0497@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> Zankhna - Thanks for your reply -
>
> I have turned off the "Write an event to system log" as you suggested and
> used CCCleaner as I also do but
> a) When I use CCleaner the items in question do delete and then when I go
> back into CCleaner they are back again.
>
> I have also deleted the entries in the registry but when I go back into
> the
> registry, they are back in there also!!
>
> I realise that the gcasServ.exe related to MS antispyware but here again I
> have deleted it from my sytem using Ad\Delete and as I say deleted using
> CCleaner and from Registry but they refuse to disappear!!
>
> Lastly, On bootup and Windows loads, I then get a scren come up telling
> me
> I am in selective startup. Which I Know. I tick the box to say don't
> show
> the screen message again, but everytime I restart, I get that self same
> screen keep comming up. It's F*....*g annoying.
>
> Any other Ideas greatly accepted.
>
> Regards
>
> ===============================================
>
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:24:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

chesjak wrote:
> Hi
>
> Zankhna - Thanks for your reply -
>
> I have turned off the "Write an event to system log" as you suggested and
> used CCCleaner as I also do but
> a) When I use CCleaner the items in question do delete and then when I go
> back into CCleaner they are back again.
>
> I have also deleted the entries in the registry but when I go back into the
> registry, they are back in there also!!
>
> I realise that the gcasServ.exe related to MS antispyware but here again I
> have deleted it from my sytem using Ad\Delete and as I say deleted using
> CCleaner and from Registry but they refuse to disappear!!
>
> Lastly, On bootup and Windows loads, I then get a scren come up telling me
> I am in selective startup. Which I Know. I tick the box to say don't show
> the screen message again, but everytime I restart, I get that self same
> screen keep comming up. It's F*....*g annoying.
>
> Any other Ideas greatly accepted.
>
> Regards
>
> ===============================================
>

Hi

Im sorry to hear that you still having problems. Um all I can say is
that xp is not the best system in the world (as you've realised). Have
you tried there support pages? Maybe there is some answer there. You've
done everything I would have done and beyond this I cant think of
anything at the moment. If I do I'll pass it on.

Hope you get it sorted,

Z
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:54:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Try this easy way to remove or test startup problem entry's without editing
the registry manually.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

>%system root"\system32\dumprep 0-K<
To remove the above from startup manually, click start, right click my
computer, properties, advanced tab, startup and recovery, settings, write
debugging info and click the arrow and choose (none)..

Hope this helps..
j;-)

"chesjak" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Jaymon and Mike Hall (MS-MVP) - Thanks for your reply.
>
> After having read all that you suggest and especially the "warnings 1&2"
> Mike, I wonder if there is another way for me to go. The reason I wanted to
> do a repair is as follows: and sorry it is so long!!
> =====================================================
>
> When I look at Startup in MSconfig, I notice that there five entries that
> are not necessary so I tried to delete them.
>
> I de-ticked the box for each of them and clicked apply. I then re-started
> and the usual screen came up telling me that I was using a modified Startup.
> I t ticked the box to say that I did not want the screen to show up the next
> time. However every time I start up, it does show up.
>
> In addition to this the five entries in Startup that I de-ticked are now
> ticked again.
>
> These Items are no longer on my computer and I have even gone into System
> registry HKLM\software\MSwindows\current version\run to delete all five
> items.
>
> I come out of the registry and check the Startup again only to find that the
> entries that I de-ticked are now ticked again and still there. I look into
> the registry and find that the items are back in there also and have not been
> deleted.
>
> I have also looked at this with Startup Inspector program. Thsi shows me
> that the five items in question "the file does not exist"
>
> Even deleting them with Startup Inspector does not get rid of them.
>
> Three of the files are:
>
> c:\program files\microsoft antispyware\gcasServ.exe
> C:\program files\executive software\diskeeper\DKICON.exe
> %system root"\system32\dumprep 0-K
> and also a ticked entry with nothing in the COMMAND COLUMN but a registry
> location (as is all of them) of HKLM\software\ms windows\current version\run
>
> As I said earlier, I have deleted the above using Ad\Remove so I know they
> are not on the system any longer.
>
> Why, if the files do not exist, can I not delete them
> Why, if I delete them in the registry, do they keep comming back.
> Have you any idea as to what is going wrong and how I can rectify this.
> ================================================
>
> Is there any other way I can rectify the MSconfig\Startup problem apart from
> a repair /install
>
> Once again thanks for your help.
>
> Regards
>
> =============================================
>
>
>
>
> "chesjak" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > due to a problem with MSconfig I want to run the repair facility.
> >
> > When I am prompted to put the disc into the computer, can someone tell me
> > what disc it refers to . Is it the original XP program disc or the SP2
> > update disc.
> >
> > Your help would be appreciated.
> >
> >
> > Regards
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:13:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Ok, try running msconfig and select "normal startup" and reboot, then use the
startup cleaner app of your choice..

Hope this helps..
j;-)

"chesjak" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Zankhna - Thanks for your reply -
>
> I have turned off the "Write an event to system log" as you suggested and
> used CCCleaner as I also do but
> a) When I use CCleaner the items in question do delete and then when I go
> back into CCleaner they are back again.
>
> I have also deleted the entries in the registry but when I go back into the
> registry, they are back in there also!!
>
> I realise that the gcasServ.exe related to MS antispyware but here again I
> have deleted it from my sytem using Ad\Delete and as I say deleted using
> CCleaner and from Registry but they refuse to disappear!!
>
> Lastly, On bootup and Windows loads, I then get a scren come up telling me
> I am in selective startup. Which I Know. I tick the box to say don't show
> the screen message again, but everytime I restart, I get that self same
> screen keep comming up. It's F*....*g annoying.
>
> Any other Ideas greatly accepted.
>
> Regards
>
> ===============================================
>
!