Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Battlefield 3 still having framerate issues [R7970]

Last response: in Video Games
March 9, 2012 8:45:46 PM

Still having issues with my system & BF3 my system is : I7 3820 @ 4.6ghz, XFX DD 7970 @ 1125/1575, 16gb of g.skill 1600mhz, and asus x79 sabertooth.
Resolution: 1920x1080
Settings: All Ultra, No msaa, HBSO, 16x AF, Motion blur off
I was getting around 35 avg fps with below 30 dips all the time on Caspian Border full player game [64 players] the drivers are 12.2 aka up-to-date, Although MSI afterburner doesn't say the driver version i dont know if that's normal or not i will reinstall if it isn't.

By fattypatty at 2012-03-09
Was dead for most of that benchmark

March 9, 2012 8:48:16 PM

the drivers may be up to date , but they are still young.
Score
March 9, 2012 8:49:36 PM

stephen-mc said:
the drivers may be up to date , but they are still young.
yes i know they are young but i've seen other people get avgs of 50-60 fps with the same settings i have
Score
Related resources
March 9, 2012 8:57:06 PM

does furmark load the gpu at all?
Score

Best solution

March 9, 2012 8:58:23 PM

Averages of 50-60? With those settings a 7970 will average 85-125 throughout the ENTIRE game.

Two other things I will recommend as a possibility are to ensure that your power cables are fully connected, and if they are, delete your drivers and catalyst control center entirely. Download new drivers->JUST THE DISPLAY DRIVERS. And install ATI Tray Tools instead of CCC and see if CCC is defaulting some option to *on that may be causing a conflict b/c of drivers or whatever else with BF3.

And, ok this is going to sound ridiculous but you don't have some monitor that inexplicably has 30hz as a display option, and also vsync on? I know there is no chance of this, but just covering every base that comes to mind now.

March 9, 2012 9:06:42 PM

casualcolors said:
Averages of 50-60? With those settings a 7970 will average 85-125 throughout the ENTIRE game.

Two other things I will recommend as a possibility are to ensure that your power cables are fully connected, and if they are, delete your drivers and catalyst control center entirely. Download new drivers->JUST THE DISPLAY DRIVERS. And install ATI Tray Tools instead of CCC and see if CCC is defaulting some option to *on that may be causing a conflict b/c of drivers or whatever else with BF3.

And, ok this is going to sound ridiculous but you don't have some monitor that inexplicably has 30hz as a display option, and also vsync on? I know there is no chance of this, but just covering every base that comes to mind now.
no i keep vert sync off and my monitor has a 60hz refresh i got some samsung syncmaster SA550 led 23" monitor, im gonna reinstall the drivers with your settings then ill run bf3 and get back to ya
Score
March 9, 2012 9:27:31 PM

casualcolors said:

alright this the new framerates with these settings: Driver and the audio thingy on there, i didnt have ati tray tools installed though i will get it though

Think we can get it any higher?
Score
March 9, 2012 9:38:51 PM

What map was that fraps from?
Score
March 9, 2012 9:40:38 PM

casualcolors said:
What map was that fraps from?
it was the same match caspian border maxed out players for got to add that the benchmark had 4x msaa high btw cranked those up there. Also whenever i try to install ATT this warning pops up when i try to run it

Score
March 9, 2012 10:32:22 PM

Oh so you had 56 min and 89 max with 4x msaa? Yes those sound more accurate for casp border 64 player. I think your problem is resolved =). Come back if you have any more 35 fps dips while playing though.
Score
March 9, 2012 10:44:29 PM

casualcolors said:
Oh so you had 56 min and 89 max with 4x msaa? Yes those sound more accurate for casp border 64 player. I think your problem is resolved =). Come back if you have any more 35 fps dips while playing though.
yea that sounds right also do i need ATT if so i need that issue fixed too
Score
March 9, 2012 10:49:48 PM

Well the primary purpose of ATI Tray Tools is the same as CCC. It provides access to overclocking, voltages, forcing display features etc. What I was curious about with CCC was if it was forcing some crap like 16x QSAA or something with obscure options language that would make it an easy oversight. It seems like something was in fact wrong with your CCC settings since you've removed it and your fps has doubled. You could try reinstalling it and check if the FPS plummets again, in which case it's obviously a default-enabled option that you'll have to track down, or you can do some research into what the issue with ATI Tray Tools was.

I would recommend following the instruction on the pop-up for ATT b/c personally when I used AMD cards I found it to be a far better piece of software than CCC which was clunky, had horrible language, and often tons of install-bugs. That's my 2 cents though.
Score
March 9, 2012 11:03:10 PM

casualcolors said:
Well the primary purpose of ATI Tray Tools is the same as CCC. It provides access to overclocking, voltages, forcing display features etc. What I was curious about with CCC was if it was forcing some crap like 16x QSAA or something with obscure options language that would make it an easy oversight. It seems like something was in fact wrong with your CCC settings since you've removed it and your fps has doubled. You could try reinstalling it and check if the FPS plummets again, in which case it's obviously a default-enabled option that you'll have to track down, or you can do some research into what the issue with ATI Tray Tools was.

I would recommend following the instruction on the pop-up for ATT b/c personally when I used AMD cards I found it to be a far better piece of software than CCC which was clunky, had horrible language, and often tons of install-bugs. That's my 2 cents though.
alright thanks for your help i appreciate it
Score
March 9, 2012 11:03:29 PM

Best answer selected by FattyPatty.
Score
!