Wargame European Escalation: Mini review

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I havent seen this talked about here. Figured Id post a little review, for any that have been wondering about it.

If you have played world in conflict or company of heroes, some of the gameplay will feel familiar.

Building: Lets start with what sets it apart from other traditional RTS's. There is no base building, your requirement for new units revolves around "command points" which the trickle you receive gets faster the more command areas you control (similar to company of heroes). You control them by placing a command vehicle in the area.

Victory conditions: in multiplayer are also different, there is no "conquer the map" or "destroy all the opponents units" modes, just "points". each unit has a value, if your opponent destroys it, that value gets added to the score you can set the max points and the first player to reach that score wins. i.e. If I bum rushed a player with say 70 or so T-55 Tanks (old soviet tanks) and he had say 8 top tier tanks, and he killed half my tanks and I killed all 8 I would get the higher score out of that battle (which it would be unlikely I would win that battle if he was in a defensive position, I would probably get wiped). Basically you dont get many points for destroying crap units, but they do have their uses such as drawing an opponents fire with your cheap stuff while you flank with your good stuff.

Supply: supply is probably the biggest thing that may turn people off to the game, but I find it to be an awesome new dimension. Your units have finite ammo and fuel. Before a match starts you can place additional forward operational bases (which are essentially supply depots). You can reupply and repair/heal units by placing them next to a FOB, or linking them up with supply trucks or Helo's. (and yes Supply trucks/helos have limited supply, and yes if the game dragged on long enough you will be out of supply).

Getting units/roster makeup: Essentially you can build a deck of 25 units (for Nato or Pact). You can unlock units by getting command stars by playing single player or leveling up in multiplayer. When you go to setup your deck, you can see all the units a given side has available and you can unlock/add units to your deck. You can have no more than 5 units for a given Unit type (i.e. 5 types of helicopters). EVERY Unit type has a use, when i first saw the previews of this game I was like why would I ever build a supply truck or a jeep.
Note: Different models of a unit type only count as one unit i.e. if you unlock the AH-1E cobra, you also have access to the previous models for the cost of one unit slot.

Balance: You cant spam the Best "insert unit here". They made the game so lower tier units still serve a purpose. i.e. the Best Soviet Tank is the T-80U, you can build only 2 in a given battle. But I can for example Build a friggin HORDE of the base model of T-62/T-55 or T-34 tank, but they are weak as hell, but they make good diversions.

Nato definitely has the advantage in "quality units". They can field a much larger quantity of high quality tanks, between germany france britain and the US. On the other hand the Soviets (and warsaw pact nations) are lacking in the quality department, but they can field a large amount of medium quality tanks an unrelenting horde of crap tanks and such.

I like to play with the soviets alot and I find my best strategy is to essentially Hide my best ground units, and draw my opponents attention with my mass of garbage. They are usually not amused, when they think they are winning beginning to obliterate my force only for about 32 T80(various models) and T-72's (various models) arriving on their flank to do the real damage and or a horde of attack helicopters(the one area the soviets really seem to have the advantage is in attack Helos between the Havok and Hinds).

Recon and maps: Recon is essential These maps are friggin HUGE. Knowing your enemies movements and location are essential. For setting up an attack or organizing a defense, and seeing what types of units they are fielding.

Infantry and artillery: Infantry (of which there are MANY types) come with a vehicle because it would take them eons to move across the map without them. I probably havent fathomed the full use of infantry, I mainly use infantry to play a harrassing role. I will attempt to plant them in cover all over the map, especially anti-air infantry and in combination with vehicles while dismounted are very useful.

Artillery is very useful, without it, it would be pretty easy to turtle, since destroying units is the goal and not taking the battlefield (i.e. Even if you would have eventually overwhelmed your enemy, if they get more points first its meaningless.) so if they are turtling, starve them of reinforcement points and recon their army and pummel them into submission. (if they are turtling, its unlikely they would even get a bead on the bulk of your forces, so they cant just do it back to you, because at this point you control the battlefield.

I am sure I have missed things, but over all I find the game really fun, and I think anyone who is a seasoned RTS fan will enjoy it.

DM186

Splendid
The game is called Wargame Eurpean Escalation? How long has it been out? On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rank it. I like games like all the total war series and I liked World in conflict.

I also like Age of Empires. Yeah if it is good I will have to check it out myself. Thanks for posting.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Id give it a solid 8 out of 10. The new ideas they bring to RTS, may not be everybodies cup of tea. Like the huge maps, and resupply. But I find them really fun.

DM186

Splendid

I live for RTS games. I have all the total war series games as well the Age of empires series and Hereo's of might and Magic and a ton more. I got started when the Comadore 64 PC came out.

My first RTS game was Tom Clanseys Red Storm Rising. They even had a cut out to lay on your keyboard. But I was heavey into Dungeons and Dragons from TSR the orignal first books and the dice.

I have played D & D for 35 years. The last game was in 2006. So you now know why my handle on here is what it is. And my avatar is from Shogun 2 of total war. So that game is one I am going to check out.

And thanks.

zivhadad1

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
which graphic card should i get to play this game on max setting on 60fps? ive recently bought a new Sapphire HD 6850 no-overclock and i put it on insane and its pretty stuck.. please help me