My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it will
only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that, in
order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft Windows
XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are options:
either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

My brother had the same problem last week. The only solution I could get to
work was to format, delete the partition, repartition and reload Windows.

"TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5C3D7F78-EC0D-4706-8CF8-F29BFC464569@microsoft.com...
> My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
> playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
> recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it
> will
> only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that,
> in
> order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
> computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft
> Windows
> XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are
> either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
> assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

John,
Can you give me some step by step on exactly what to do? The other option
was to restore system to a previous date, but I don't know when the problem
started. Maybe that would be easier than to reload Windows?? Did you find out
what caused the problem?

"John Tiesi" wrote:

> My brother had the same problem last week. The only solution I could get to
> work was to format, delete the partition, repartition and reload Windows.
>

> "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:5C3D7F78-EC0D-4706-8CF8-F29BFC464569@microsoft.com...
> > My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
> > playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
> > recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it
> > will
> > only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that,
> > in
> > order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
> > computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft
> > Windows
> > XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are
> > either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
> > assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

Byte

Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314939
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the