1Ghz Coppermine system cooling help?

G

I am trying to build a system with the following:

1. slot 1 1G Coppermine (pentium III)
2. Abit SH6 mainboard

The system boots up fine with a 350/800 Mhz Coppermine processors but when I install the 1G chip, it doesn't even boot up or sometimes boots up and lets me get into the softMenu but hangs.
I am guessing it's because the CPU is running is too hot (ABIT's softmenuIII showed over 90degF).

2 questions,

1. if my guess is right, what is the recommended heatsink for use with a SLOT1 1G coppermine (i would like to know the manufacturers, part number, price and where i can get it)

2. is there any other special setting on the ABit SH6 board that needs to be applied for running the 1G chip.

I would appreciate help from people who are familiar with heating issues on the 1G coppermine and the Abit SH6 mainboard.

Thanks.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You mean you don't even have a heatsink?! Are you crazy!???

Luckily Pentium 3 has a feature where if it overheats it won't turn on. I'm betting thats the problem you have. Get a decent heatsink and slap it on there. Performance heatsinks can be found at www.tomshardware.com

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if it is 90 degrees F, that isn't bad at all. If it is 90 degrees C you have problems. Make sure the board supports that CPU voltage-wise. Make sure it is in the slot well. Check all those little things over again.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

the problem was with my existing heatsink. it won't work with the Abit SH6 but when i put the same heatsink+cpu combo into an ASUS p3v4x mainboard, it works fine.

i replaced that big ass heatsink with a smaller one (it now sits in clean and doesn't touch any other components like capacitors etc) and the system works fine.

thanks for those to replied.