How do I make my DeathAdder more "normal?"

nymedic828

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
So I shelled out for a RAZER DeathAdder for my new build, and honestly the movement of the mouse seems so awkward compared to the wireless normal mouse I had before.

I have no idea what anything past sensitivity does. To my understanding DPI makes the mouse have more precise movement? Idk.

I mainly bought the thing because it lights up blue to match my keyboard and tower :sarcastic:

What should I set this thing to?

Solution

This is like a completely unreadable word lottery. And there is no such thing as "DPI Quality".

Also higher dpi does not make the mouse more precise. To be completely frank, if you wanted precision movement you would lower DPI to allow a larger ratio between hand movement ...
If I understand you right, the mouse is flying across the screen too fast. Just lower the DPI setting. You are confused, because higher DPI mice are more accurate, and you didn't want to lower accuracy, but the DPI setting on the mouse does not mean the same thing as DPI quality of the mouse.

The lower you set the DPI setting on the mouse, the fewer DPI the mouse moves when you move the mouse. It becomes far more accurate when you lower the DPI setting.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

This is like a completely unreadable word lottery. And there is no such thing as "DPI Quality".

Also higher dpi does not make the mouse more precise. To be completely frank, if you wanted precision movement you would lower DPI to allow a larger ratio between hand movement : onscreen cursor movement. Also the OP didn't say anything about the mouse moving too fast, although it may be that. He just didn't say. He said it is awkward.

OP: If your mouse feels too jerky, keep the windows sensitivity setting to the default 6, but lower the DPI on the mouse. DPI stands for dots per inch, and is also represented as CPI by some companies (counts per inch). Basically, the higher your DPI is, the further your cursor will move on the screen with less hand movement. The lower your DPI is, the more you have to move your hand to move the cursor.

What I believe bystander meant by "DPI Quality" when he tried to label dpi setting and dpi quality as 2 different things, albeit the latter isn't a used nomenclature, was polling frequency. Polling frequency in lay terms is how many times the computer will create a virtual check to verify the pointer's location vs. the image that the mouse's optic sensor was seeing. 1000hz creates more frequent checks, therefor it is more precise in that way. 500 hz does a check half as often. Some people believe that this leads to a certain degree of prediction on the sensor's part because it is left to potentially assume a wider distance if the mouse was in motion between 2 "checkpoints" if you want to think of them that way. The truth is that 500hz and 1000hz are both above any real threshold of perception, but it does potentially have a good placebo affect and 1000hz is potentially "better" than 500hz on a theoretical playing field.

The deathadder defaults to 1000hz polling rate so just leave this alone. Just adjust the DPI to a lower setting (most people are comfortable on their desktop between 1200-2300 dpi depending on their screen resolution). Again, this is if the mouse cursor is moving too fast for your taste, which you didn't say was specifically the problem. This is just a better explanation of what bystander was saying.

Solution