Computer restarts itself at will.

September 9, 2005 11:02:01 PM

I built three computers with Abit NF7S (used) with Athlon 2800 (new) XP Pro
with the same cheap power supplies (400 watt) that came with the case for 20
bucks. One of these computers has been restarting itself about one time every
two weeks for no apparent reason since the day I put it together. When I send
the error report in Microsoft says "a device driver". But does not know
details. The other computers have the same video card and programs? I did
uncheck the restart after fail and now a blue screen comes up with a bunch on
lingo. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? Regards Rick

More about : computer restarts

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 4:06:27 AM

"analog414" <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I built three computers with Abit NF7S (used) with Athlon 2800 (new) XP Pro
> with the same cheap power supplies (400 watt) that came with the case for
> 20
> bucks. One of these computers has been restarting itself about one time
> every
> two weeks for no apparent reason since the day I put it together. When I
> send
> the error report in Microsoft says "a device driver". But does not know
> details. The other computers have the same video card and programs? I did
> uncheck the restart after fail and now a blue screen comes up with a bunch
> on
> lingo. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? Regards Rick

The information on the blue screen is the place to start. That's telling you
what the problem is, although it's pretty cryptic.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 1:21:29 PM

You used computer cases, that with a power supply cost $20.00? Do you
realize that a middle of the road 400 watt power supply alone will cost
about $50.00?

Do yourself a favor and get quality power supplies, as many strange and
intermittent problems can be associated with sub-standard power supplies.
You will drive yourself insane trying to troubleshoot such a system.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"analog414" <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I built three computers with Abit NF7S (used) with Athlon 2800 (new) XP Pro
> with the same cheap power supplies (400 watt) that came with the case for
> 20
> bucks. One of these computers has been restarting itself about one time
> every
> two weeks for no apparent reason since the day I put it together. When I
> send
> the error report in Microsoft says "a device driver". But does not know
> details. The other computers have the same video card and programs? I did
> uncheck the restart after fail and now a blue screen comes up with a bunch
> on
> lingo. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? Regards Rick
September 11, 2005 1:09:01 AM

I doubt my problem is the power supply, because i can get to that blue
screen, but after i check everything in the Bios and go back to loading
Windows, the computer re-load after i get the "Windows" start-up screen, but
just before it loads the icons on the taskbars..then just keeps re-loading
automatically by itself no matter what i do. Does anyone have any other ideas
that might help?

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> You used computer cases, that with a power supply cost $20.00? Do you
> realize that a middle of the road 400 watt power supply alone will cost
> about $50.00?
>
> Do yourself a favor and get quality power supplies, as many strange and
> intermittent problems can be associated with sub-standard power supplies.
> You will drive yourself insane trying to troubleshoot such a system.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "analog414" <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I built three computers with Abit NF7S (used) with Athlon 2800 (new) XP Pro
> > with the same cheap power supplies (400 watt) that came with the case for
> > 20
> > bucks. One of these computers has been restarting itself about one time
> > every
> > two weeks for no apparent reason since the day I put it together. When I
> > send
> > the error report in Microsoft says "a device driver". But does not know
> > details. The other computers have the same video card and programs? I did
> > uncheck the restart after fail and now a blue screen comes up with a bunch
> > on
> > lingo. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? Regards Rick

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 6:50:44 PM

analog414 <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I built three computers with Abit NF7S (used) with Athlon 2800 (new) XP Pro
>with the same cheap power supplies (400 watt) that came with the case for 20
>bucks. One of these computers has been restarting itself about one time every
>two weeks for no apparent reason since the day I put it together. When I send
>the error report in Microsoft says "a device driver". But does not know
>details. The other computers have the same video card and programs? I did
>uncheck the restart after fail and now a blue screen comes up with a bunch on
>lingo. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? Regards Rick

What specific information can you provide us about the error message
associated with the restarts?

Rebooting once every two weeks sounds like an intermittent hardware
fault of some kind.

That "bunch of lingo" on the blue screen is in fact a fairly precise
albiet cryptic identification of exactly what happened. Post the
information from the blue screen back here, including the STOP code,
all 4 paramters, and any file or module names mentioned.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP