I have found a number of programs startup on boot and am trying to figure out
if I need them to load during boot or not. I've google searched on a few and
found I don't think I need them to load so I feel safe disabling them during
startup (trying to use the programs config settings if possible, then
MSCONFIG). Is a google search the best way to research the files from the
startup tab on MSCONFIG or what other ways can I get smart about what loads
on startup?

By the way, there is one program that shows up in MSCONFIG with a blank in
the Startup Item and the Command fields (and the location field is no use).
How do I find out what this one is?

Next, I've tried using MSCONFIG to disable some programs but after I reboot
I find the programs have reloaded themselves in MSCONFIG and still load on
boot. How do I fix this?

Much thanks in advance!

Are you 100% certain that your computer is 100% free of any form of virus or spyware?

Ted Zieglar

"Adrastos" <Adrastos@news.postalias> wrote in message news:D24062DE-EECD-4E53-96BF-73E0E087D902@microsoft.com...
>I have found a number of programs startup on boot and am trying to figure out
> if I need them to load during boot or not. I've google searched on a few and
> found I don't think I need them to load so I feel safe disabling them during
> startup (trying to use the programs config settings if possible, then
> MSCONFIG). Is a google search the best way to research the files from the
> startup tab on MSCONFIG or what other ways can I get smart about what loads
> on startup?
>
> By the way, there is one program that shows up in MSCONFIG with a blank in
> the Startup Item and the Command fields (and the location field is no use).
> How do I find out what this one is?
>
> Next, I've tried using MSCONFIG to disable some programs but after I reboot
> I find the programs have reloaded themselves in MSCONFIG and still load on
> boot. How do I fix this?
>
> Much thanks in advance!

Yes, fairly certain this is not a virus or spyware. I just finished a scan
with no virus found. I use antivirus regularly and one of the programs that
I do let boot on startup is my spyware monitoring software. The programs I
recognize in MSCONFIG seem to be associated with my sound card, video card,
or chipset.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Are you 100% certain that your computer is 100% free of any form of virus or spyware?
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Adrastos" <Adrastos@news.postalias> wrote in message news:D24062DE-EECD-4E53-96BF-73E0E087D902@microsoft.com...
> >I have found a number of programs startup on boot and am trying to figure out
> > if I need them to load during boot or not. I've google searched on a few and
> > found I don't think I need them to load so I feel safe disabling them during
> > startup (trying to use the programs config settings if possible, then
> > MSCONFIG). Is a google search the best way to research the files from the
> > startup tab on MSCONFIG or what other ways can I get smart about what loads
> > on startup?
> >
> > By the way, there is one program that shows up in MSCONFIG with a blank in
> > the Startup Item and the Command fields (and the location field is no use).
> > How do I find out what this one is?
> >
> > Next, I've tried using MSCONFIG to disable some programs but after I reboot
> > I find the programs have reloaded themselves in MSCONFIG and still load on
> > boot. How do I fix this?
> >
> > Much thanks in advance!

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:D24062DE-EECD-4E53-96BF-73E0E087D902@microsoft.com,
Adrastos <Adrastos@news.postalias> had this to say:

> I have found a number of programs startup on boot and am trying to
> figure out if I need them to load during boot or not. I've google
> searched on a few and found I don't think I need them to load so I
> feel safe disabling them during startup (trying to use the programs
> config settings if possible, then MSCONFIG). Is a google search the
> best way to research the files from the startup tab on MSCONFIG or
> what other ways can I get smart about what loads on startup?
>
> By the way, there is one program that shows up in MSCONFIG with a
> blank in the Startup Item and the Command fields (and the location
> field is no use). How do I find out what this one is?
>
> Next, I've tried using MSCONFIG to disable some programs but after I
> reboot I find the programs have reloaded themselves in MSCONFIG and
> still load on boot. How do I fix this?
>
> Much thanks in advance!

Pesky Startup Apps :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/startupapps.html

But first see here:

Malware Cleaning :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Galen - thanks for the reply. I'd still like to figure out how to stop these
programs from booting without using another program though.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:D24062DE-EECD-4E53-96BF-73E0E087D902@microsoft.com,
> Adrastos <Adrastos@news.postalias> had this to say:

> > I have found a number of programs startup on boot and am trying to
> > figure out if I need them to load during boot or not. I've google
> > searched on a few and found I don't think I need them to load so I
> > feel safe disabling them during startup (trying to use the programs
> > config settings if possible, then MSCONFIG). Is a google search the
> > best way to research the files from the startup tab on MSCONFIG or
> > what other ways can I get smart about what loads on startup?
> >
> > By the way, there is one program that shows up in MSCONFIG with a
> > blank in the Startup Item and the Command fields (and the location
> > field is no use). How do I find out what this one is?
> >
> > Next, I've tried using MSCONFIG to disable some programs but after I
> > reboot I find the programs have reloaded themselves in MSCONFIG and
> > still load on boot. How do I fix this?
> >
> > Much thanks in advance!
>
> Pesky Startup Apps :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/startupapps.html
>
> But first see here:
>
> Malware Cleaning :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:CF9B085B-4698-4A4B-A8A2-DD9A88619980@microsoft.com,
Adrastos <Adrastos@news.postalias> had this to say:

> Galen - thanks for the reply. I'd still like to figure out how to
> stop these programs from booting without using another program though.
>

> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:D24062DE-EECD-4E53-96BF-73E0E087D902@microsoft.com,
>> Adrastos <Adrastos@news.postalias> had this to say:

>>> I have found a number of programs startup on boot and am trying to
>>> figure out if I need them to load during boot or not. I've google
>>> searched on a few and found I don't think I need them to load so I
>>> feel safe disabling them during startup (trying to use the programs
>>> config settings if possible, then MSCONFIG). Is a google search the
>>> best way to research the files from the startup tab on MSCONFIG or
>>> what other ways can I get smart about what loads on startup?
>>>
>>> By the way, there is one program that shows up in MSCONFIG with a
>>> blank in the Startup Item and the Command fields (and the location
>>> field is no use). How do I find out what this one is?
>>>
>>> Next, I've tried using MSCONFIG to disable some programs but after I
>>> reboot I find the programs have reloaded themselves in MSCONFIG and
>>> still load on boot. How do I fix this?
>>>
>>> Much thanks in advance!
>>
>> Pesky Startup Apps :
>> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/startupapps.html
>>
>> But first see here:
>>
>> Malware Cleaning :
>> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual
>> after all."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

GOOD applications allow you to right click on their icon in the task bar's
notification area - near the clock, select their settings, and disable
running on boot. Other applications aren't so good. For those? You will want
a third party application or just to uninstall them if possible. Beyond that
you will perhaps benefit from the malware scanning as they may be infectious
in nature and unable to be halted even with the above programs.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

"Adrastos" <Adrastos@news.postalias> wrote:

>I have found a number of programs startup on boot and am trying to figure out
>if I need them to load during boot or not. I've google searched on a few and
>found I don't think I need them to load so I feel safe disabling them during
>startup (trying to use the programs config settings if possible, then
>MSCONFIG). Is a google search the best way to research the files from the
>startup tab on MSCONFIG or what other ways can I get smart about what loads
>on startup?
>
>By the way, there is one program that shows up in MSCONFIG with a blank in
>the Startup Item and the Command fields (and the location field is no use).
>How do I find out what this one is?
>
>Next, I've tried using MSCONFIG to disable some programs but after I reboot
>I find the programs have reloaded themselves in MSCONFIG and still load on
>boot. How do I fix this?
>
>Much thanks in advance!

Check out your startup items at Pacman's Portal:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Galen wrote:
> In news:D24062DE-EECD-4E53-96BF-73E0E087D902@microsoft.com,
> Adrastos <Adrastos@news.postalias> had this to say:

>> I have found a number of programs startup on boot and am trying to
>> figure out if I need them to load during boot or not. I've google
>> searched on a few and found I don't think I need them to load so I
>> feel safe disabling them during startup (trying to use the programs
>> config settings if possible, then MSCONFIG). Is a google search the
>> best way to research the files from the startup tab on MSCONFIG or
>> what other ways can I get smart about what loads on startup?
>>
>> By the way, there is one program that shows up in MSCONFIG with a
>> blank in the Startup Item and the Command fields (and the location
>> field is no use). How do I find out what this one is?
>>
>> Next, I've tried using MSCONFIG to disable some programs but after I
>> reboot I find the programs have reloaded themselves in MSCONFIG and
>> still load on boot. How do I fix this?
>>
>> Much thanks in advance!
>
> Pesky Startup Apps :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/startupapps.html
>
> But first see here:
>
> Malware Cleaning :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html
>
> Galen

The following site should help you in locating program "Startup Locations"
and how to configure them:

http://www.foxnews.com/

--
Sir_George

Ron - that is just what I was looking for. Thanks much!