Sign in with
Your question

New GPU....lots of crashing

Last response: in Video Games
March 10, 2012 2:13:41 PM

I picked up a new EVGA GTX 570 about a month ago, and have been experiencing a lot of crashes since.

The game doesn't seem to matter. I tried out a lot of different games to test it out - - Crysis, BF3, Dirt3, Deus Ex: HR.....I've had some issues crashing with all of them. Some of the crashes black-screen my computer (require a hard restart).

I know it isn't a temp issue.....I loaded it up with a GELID cooler right off the bat, and my max load temp is about 62 C, and I'm running the latest drivers from nVIDIA.

Any ideas on what may be causing this?

More about : gpu lots crashing

March 10, 2012 3:16:32 PM

Take a look at the power supply. What power is it? Does it have single or multiple 12V rails, what amperage are they?

I had a similar problem with one of my machines, after upgrading the cpu and the graphics card, until I upgraded the power supply.
March 10, 2012 8:58:59 PM

Did you completely remove you old drivers before installing the new ones? If you haven't I would use driver sweeper to remove all of you graphics drivers and then install the latest ones from the nvidia website.
Related resources
March 10, 2012 10:19:54 PM

Stringjam said:
I picked up a new EVGA GTX 570 about a month ago, and have been experiencing a lot of crashes since.

The game doesn't seem to matter. I tried out a lot of different games to test it out - - Crysis, BF3, Dirt3, Deus Ex: HR.....I've had some issues crashing with all of them. Some of the crashes black-screen my computer (require a hard restart).

I know it isn't a temp issue.....I loaded it up with a GELID cooler right off the bat, and my max load temp is about 62 C, and I'm running the latest drivers from nVIDIA.

Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Increase voltage to 1.080v (1080 in msi afterburner). See if this stabilizes you.
March 11, 2012 1:03:58 AM

pauls3743 said:
Take a look at the power supply. What power is it? Does it have single or multiple 12V rails, what amperage are they?

I had a similar problem with one of my machines, after upgrading the cpu and the graphics card, until I upgraded the power supply.

I have a 600W OCZ ModXStream that has 25V on each 12V rail, which should be cool, as I believe the GTX570 only wants 32 total on the 12V rail. I have considered this though, as 600 is not a whole lot more than the recommended minimum for running this card, and it isn't like the OCZ is a premium unit or anything.

serowman said:
Did you completely remove you old drivers before installing the new ones? If you haven't I would use driver sweeper to remove all of you graphics drivers and then install the latest ones from the nvidia website.

I completely uninstalled the old ATI drivers before I installed the new nVIDIA drivers. I might try using the program you recommended though....in case the uninstaller missed something.

casualcolors said:
Increase voltage to 1.080v (1080 in msi afterburner). See if this stabilizes you.

Thanks....I'll give it a try!
!