Transferring "My Documents" to its own partition?

firewire

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Hi
Will transfering "My Documents" to its own partition cause any problems with
the OS or NTFS and is this procedure recommended by Microsoft? Why do "My
Documents and Settings" and "My Documents" appear so often in "Explore"?
Please recommend any reading material on these subjects. Thanks.

The thing about "My Documents" is that because it's a type of "soft"default
system file for your convenience, it's expendable. You can create a "hard"
one anywhere on C:\, D:\ or anywhere and they should hold up if you need to
repair your system. The one in "Documents and Settings" is not firm because
it is a "soft default". I would just "make" my own file and make it part of
the drive you want and copy those files you want to the new one. Do not,
because of the "soft" properties involved with profiles, put it in a new
profile.

firewire wrote:
> Will transfering "My Documents" to its own partition cause any
> problems with the OS or NTFS and is this procedure recommended by
> Microsoft? Why do "My Documents and Settings" and "My Documents"
> appear so often in "Explore"? Please recommend any reading material
> on these subjects. Thanks.

In the future - if you feel you must - cross-post instead of multi-posting..
Please.

Your "Documents and Settings" folder is different from your "My Documents"
folder.

The %systemroot%\Documents and Settings\ folder is where every user's
profile is stored.

Under each of those users profile directories is usually a folder called "My
Documents" - where that individual user's documents are stored by default.

Moving it is as easy as right-clicking on the folder, choosing properties,
selecting the "Target" tab, clicking on the "Move" button and choosing the
new location.

Where it is located has very little to do with FAT32 or NTFS unless you are
concerned with file/folder permissions - in which case you need to be using
NTFS to utilize those.

What is "Explore"? Do you mean "Windows Explorer"? If so - what do you
mean by "appear so often"?

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME

Put anything you want everyone to see in the "ALL USERS" start menu.
Put anything you want for the individual users in their corresponding Start
Menu/Desktop folders.

Essentially, you may (if you want some users to have some things
and others not have these things) have duplicate copies in
different Start Menu/Desktop areas.

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

Doug's Windows XP Security Console

Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
fundamentals don't change.

Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
Windows.

One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
"LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
normally unused by the standard user.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP