How can i tell how many mhz my computer runs at?

G

i have a 800 mhz computer and i am thinking of o/cing but first i would like to know what my computer runs at so if i do o/c then i will know what progress i have made. what software or whatever do u recomend i use to see my computer's speed?

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ahh, but that is rounded off. To get the exact Mhz using basic windows software.

WinNT:- Look at this key in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0

Win98:- Run Winrep (Start->Run->"Winrep") and select collected information from the menu.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The program is called WCupid.
the web page that you get it from is:
www.h-oda.com
but this web page really sucks and I can never get the download to work.
I got it from somewhere else, but I can't remember where.
It also tells you what your AGP card is running at. (2X or 4X).

G

cool i got the program to work, my 800 mhz computer runs at 797 :( LOL. i am just starting off on this kinda stuff can someone tell me anything i can do to make it go faster? also, what is AGP??? thanks

G

how come he called it an AGP card? does that just mean a video card that plugs into the Accelerated Graphics Port? is this apposed to some other place a video card can be put?

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, agp is only for graphics cards... although you can get some older graphics cards for a pci slot, ie the voodoo 3 comes in 2 versions... pci slot and agp version

G

oh so in the above post it says that wiht WCPUID that i can tell if it runs at 2x or 4x... mine runs at 4x whatdoes that mean exactly? do u buy video cards like that either the 2x kind or 4x kind? what determines that

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes though most cards now can run at 4x and an older motherboard is the limiting factor. 2x is about twice as fast as 1x, 4x is faster than two, but not twice as fast. Other factors limit the speed. Your card determines the speed it can run at and you can choose in your bios. But if it's already running at 4x just leave it alone and don't worry about it.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

G

You can also use Winrep in Windows 2000 to find the Mhz of your CPU.

G

TNT2 do have a pci version.
no clue on GF2mx

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

G

2x means data travel through the AGP bus is 2 times faster than the original 32bit 66mhz 1x spec.
the same with 4x.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>