what is the "square green thing" on the MB?

G

next to the CPU there is usually a green square thing on the motherboard what is this?

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
heh, depends on what type of board u have, but i belive the square green thing on the mobo could be the heat sink for one of the chipsets, maybe northbridge? ...

just a guess though since i don't know what kind of board u have.

G

mostlikely the heatsink of the northbridge.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

G

i just knew that because i have seen alot of pictures and i can identify the CPU but there is usually a square green thing - heatsink u think? i think this is on many boards no? i think it cools down your computer right but what exactly does it do?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It keeps the northbridge chip on the motherboard cool (well maybe not cool, but cooler than without it).

And the ABit KT7 Board comes with a fan on it too. (some of 'em)

G

ok continuting my growing knowledge what is the northbridge chip what does that do?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
depends on the motherboard and chipset

look in toms hardware guide for motherboards and see if you can find a diagram that shows the specific duties of the north bridge and south bridge chips

G

That green thing is a “Spectramodulator” absolutely no reason for it!
Take it of and through it away.

G

I have one too, but wait a minute........mine is yellow!!!! Have I got a defective motherboard? Do you think my friends will show some prejudice towards me because of my yellow heatsink?

G

The northbridge coordinates the work between the PCI bus, AGP bus, the RAM and the CPU.

It is linked to the southbridge, which usually coordinates the IDE controller and ports such as USB.

G

No... Your COOL MAN!!!
I think???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BDISK on 01/28/01 08:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

WOE!… THAT’S JUST TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!
I think… I’m just going to get into Crochet or raising Turtles or something?

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey mines below the cpu, but its green and in a really nifty shape, does that count? God I actually use the word nifty! But hey I have an 815E so my nifty green thing is for the north "hub". I also just noticed something upon reading the original 815 review to figure out what the proper intel turn for the hub was(which i didnt find). Tom said that Intel was suppost to ship the 815 in limited quantities and most of these will not be avaible for retail. Well its safe to say that tom was wrong on that one. Just a little tid bit for the day to prove that tom is not always right.