Computer suddenly reboots itself

The computer started suddenly rebooting itself about a month or so ago. Last
week we reinstalled a newversion of Windows XP, using a clean install. It
didn't fix the problem though, it seems to happen more often now, during no
specific programs being used. In the "Even Viewer" the error reads:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of
d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

It also seems to lose the quick launch toolbar on these reboots.

Thanks to anyone who has some ideas that might help.

I hope you don't mind me posting in this thread but I also have almost the
same problems but I also can't seem to start a new thread either! But we Have
an HP Pavillion Pentium III computer that is five years old. Earlier this
year we upgraded the ram from 256 to 384, the computer wouldn't take the 512.
:-( But we also went from Windows ME to XP Home and now have the same
problems with the computer randomly restarting on it's own. There are NO dust
bunnies because the inside was completely cleaned out when we upgraded. The
computer runs much quieter now too. :) But not only do we have random starts
but the computer will like stop responding and freeze up so that you have to
restart the computer or you can't run more than one program at a time or
it'll freeze or reboot. The computer has slowed down immensly and we have
cable connection at 3 gigabytes, it's slower now than ever! We can't seem to
ever run a scandisk because it'll get almost done and restart. I know there
is one infected file but what scandisking was done should have renamed the
file and then I always go and delete the tempfiles. We aren't sure if it's
just time for a new computer or if there is something we can do to save it?
I am an artist and have alot of large image files on the computer too but was
told that when they are not in use it should not slow the computer down. I
would appreciate any suggestions or hopefully an answer to why this is
happening.
Oh yes, we are also a family of five and all have our own desktops, would
that affect the computer? I cannot download anything anymore from y desktop
and I could in the beginning, all of a sudden now I can't. I was told that to
have one dekstop and briefcases would be better? I hope someone can help as
we are thinking or getting some new computers anyway for our businesses to
keep them separate from the kids. :)
Thanks so much again in advance for ANY help or advice.
Joyce~*
--
"For He will send His angels to watch over you and guard you in all your
ways." Psalms:91:11

www.joycesartworld.com

"Sidana" wrote:

> The computer started suddenly rebooting itself about a month or so ago. Last
> week we reinstalled a newversion of Windows XP, using a clean install. It
> didn't fix the problem though, it seems to happen more often now, during no
> specific programs being used. In the "Even Viewer" the error reads:
>
> The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
> processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of
> d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact
> Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
>

> It also seems to lose the quick launch toolbar on these reboots.
>
> Thanks to anyone who has some ideas that might help.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Overheating is the biggest reason a computer shuts down or reboots. Make
sure all of your fans a spinning and the vents are clear. A slow running fan
will not provide enough airflow to keep things cool. Make sure the computer
has good airflow around the outside of it. Much of the heat is transfered
via the case and good airflow around the case helps also.

"Sidana" wrote:

> The computer started suddenly rebooting itself about a month or so ago. Last
> week we reinstalled a newversion of Windows XP, using a clean install. It
> didn't fix the problem though, it seems to happen more often now, during no
> specific programs being used. In the "Even Viewer" the error reads:
>
> The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
> processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of
> d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact
> Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
>

> It also seems to lose the quick launch toolbar on these reboots.
>
> Thanks to anyone who has some ideas that might help.

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply.

I don't think overheating is the problem though, it's been in the same
location since we first got it (the basement, where it's naturally cool as
well), and the problems only showed up a month or so ago. All the vents are
working, and there are no dust bunnies.

The computer has 1.00 GB of RAM, so I don't think that's causing the problem
either.

Any other suggestions?

"Jon" wrote:

> Overheating is the biggest reason a computer shuts down or reboots. Make
> sure all of your fans a spinning and the vents are clear. A slow running fan
> will not provide enough airflow to keep things cool. Make sure the computer
> has good airflow around the outside of it. Much of the heat is transfered
> via the case and good airflow around the case helps also.
>
> "Sidana" wrote:
>
> > The computer started suddenly rebooting itself about a month or so ago. Last
> > week we reinstalled a newversion of Windows XP, using a clean install. It
> > didn't fix the problem though, it seems to happen more often now, during no
> > specific programs being used. In the "Even Viewer" the error reads:
> >
> > The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
> > processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of
> > d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact
> > Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
> >

> > It also seems to lose the quick launch toolbar on these reboots.
> >
> > Thanks to anyone who has some ideas that might help.

I am like Sidana, my computer is below my desk with lots of circulation and
not up against a wall... fan is blowing, no dust bunnies because we cleaned
it out really well when we put in new ram chips.... although since we
upgraded the fan IS quieter than it was before which is nice. I did actually
just now put my hand back there and am I supposed to feel alot of wind?
because I don't, it's running and I feel a little whisper of a breeze but not
much....do you think this might be it and if so then why or what would cause
it to stop blowing even though it's running? strange.... that might explain
the rebooting but would it the freezing up and not responding?? hmmmm I'll
wait for your reply, and thanks so much.