Restoring a Presario 1700 Notebook

I received a Compaq Presario 1700 Notebook (model number 17XL365) from my
neighbor a while ago. The laptop's OS (Windows XP) was in bad shape, so I
decided to reformat the whole hard drive. Big mistake. After formatting the
whole hard drive, I found out that the Quick Restore CD only contains 1.44
megabytes of information! The CD only loads a command prompt.

Anyways, I have been looking at Compaq/HP's website and have found nothing
on how to repair this laptop. The laptop's default OS is Windows Me.

Is there any way I can get this thing running with Windows Me in factory
condition? Any place I could get a CD that contains all of the restore
information... not just a lousy boot disk?

(Now, if we really want to get into detail, I also destroyed any hope of my
aunt's computer coming back to Windows Me also. They don't know that yet.)

Thanks for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
-Kevin S.
4 answers Last reply
More about restoring presario 1700 notebook

    Order the QuickRestore kit ftrom 800-841-2761. It's $10.
    HH

    "Kevin S." <kseitz@gbronline.com> wrote in message
    > I received a Compaq Presario 1700 Notebook (model number 17XL365) from my
    > neighbor a while ago. The laptop's OS (Windows XP) was in bad shape, so I
    > decided to reformat the whole hard drive. Big mistake. After formatting
    the
    > whole hard drive, I found out that the Quick Restore CD only contains 1.44
    > megabytes of information! The CD only loads a command prompt.
    >
    > Anyways, I have been looking at Compaq/HP's website and have found nothing
    > on how to repair this laptop. The laptop's default OS is Windows Me.
    >
    > Is there any way I can get this thing running with Windows Me in factory
    > condition? Any place I could get a CD that contains all of the restore
    > information... not just a lousy boot disk?
    >
    > (Now, if we really want to get into detail, I also destroyed any hope of
    my
    > aunt's computer coming back to Windows Me also. They don't know that yet.)
    >
    > Thanks for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
    > -Kevin S.

    So, if I order the Quick Restore kit, will the CDs contain all of the
    original software that came with my laptop? Or will it be just a boot CD
    that reads from the Quick Restore partition (which does not exist on the
    laptop)?

    Thanks
    -Kevin

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Order the QuickRestore kit ftrom 800-841-2761. It's $10.
    > HH
    >
    > "Kevin S." <kseitz@gbronline.com> wrote in message
    >> I received a Compaq Presario 1700 Notebook (model number 17XL365) from my
    >> neighbor a while ago. The laptop's OS (Windows XP) was in bad shape, so I
    >> decided to reformat the whole hard drive. Big mistake. After formatting
    > the
    >> whole hard drive, I found out that the Quick Restore CD only contains
    >> 1.44
    >> megabytes of information! The CD only loads a command prompt.
    >>
    >> Anyways, I have been looking at Compaq/HP's website and have found
    >> nothing
    >> on how to repair this laptop. The laptop's default OS is Windows Me.
    >>
    >> Is there any way I can get this thing running with Windows Me in factory
    >> condition? Any place I could get a CD that contains all of the restore
    >> information... not just a lousy boot disk?
    >>
    >> (Now, if we really want to get into detail, I also destroyed any hope of
    > my
    >> aunt's computer coming back to Windows Me also. They don't know that
    >> yet.)
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
    >> -Kevin S.

    The QuickRestore CDs have the complete original software image.After you run
    it, it will restart with the original boot sequence.

    > So, if I order the Quick Restore kit, will the CDs contain all of the
    > original software that came with my laptop? Or will it be just a boot CD
    > that reads from the Quick Restore partition (which does not exist on the
    > laptop)?
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Kevin
    >
    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Order the QuickRestore kit ftrom 800-841-2761. It's $10.
    > > HH
    > >
    > > "Kevin S." <kseitz@gbronline.com> wrote in message
    > >> I received a Compaq Presario 1700 Notebook (model number 17XL365) from
    my
    > >> neighbor a while ago. The laptop's OS (Windows XP) was in bad shape, so
    > >> decided to reformat the whole hard drive. Big mistake. After formatting
    > > the
    > >> whole hard drive, I found out that the Quick Restore CD only contains
    > >> 1.44
    > >> megabytes of information! The CD only loads a command prompt.
    > >>
    > >> Anyways, I have been looking at Compaq/HP's website and have found
    > >> nothing
    > >> on how to repair this laptop. The laptop's default OS is Windows Me.
    > >>
    > >> Is there any way I can get this thing running with Windows Me in
    factory
    > >> condition? Any place I could get a CD that contains all of the restore
    > >> information... not just a lousy boot disk?
    > >>
    > >> (Now, if we really want to get into detail, I also destroyed any hope
    of
    > > my
    > >> aunt's computer coming back to Windows Me also. They don't know that
    > >> yet.)
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
    > >> -Kevin S.

  4. Note that after you have run the 3 disks you will have to spend some time downloading Windows Service Packs 1 thru 3 and a host of KB articles.

Compaq Presario Notebooks Computers