Restoring a Presario 1700 Notebook

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 29, 2004 11:08:31 PM

I received a Compaq Presario 1700 Notebook (model number 17XL365) from my
neighbor a while ago. The laptop's OS (Windows XP) was in bad shape, so I
decided to reformat the whole hard drive. Big mistake. After formatting the
whole hard drive, I found out that the Quick Restore CD only contains 1.44
megabytes of information! The CD only loads a command prompt.

Anyways, I have been looking at Compaq/HP's website and have found nothing
on how to repair this laptop. The laptop's default OS is Windows Me.

Is there any way I can get this thing running with Windows Me in factory
condition? Any place I could get a CD that contains all of the restore
information... not just a lousy boot disk?

(Now, if we really want to get into detail, I also destroyed any hope of my
aunt's computer coming back to Windows Me also. They don't know that yet.)

Thanks for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
-Kevin S.
August 30, 2004 12:48:59 AM

Order the QuickRestore kit ftrom 800-841-2761. It's $10.
HH

"Kevin S." <kseitz@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> I received a Compaq Presario 1700 Notebook (model number 17XL365) from my
> neighbor a while ago. The laptop's OS (Windows XP) was in bad shape, so I
> decided to reformat the whole hard drive. Big mistake. After formatting
the
> whole hard drive, I found out that the Quick Restore CD only contains 1.44
> megabytes of information! The CD only loads a command prompt.
>
> Anyways, I have been looking at Compaq/HP's website and have found nothing
> on how to repair this laptop. The laptop's default OS is Windows Me.
>
> Is there any way I can get this thing running with Windows Me in factory
> condition? Any place I could get a CD that contains all of the restore
> information... not just a lousy boot disk?
>
> (Now, if we really want to get into detail, I also destroyed any hope of
my
> aunt's computer coming back to Windows Me also. They don't know that yet.)
>
> Thanks for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
> -Kevin S.

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 1:12:42 AM

So, if I order the Quick Restore kit, will the CDs contain all of the
original software that came with my laptop? Or will it be just a boot CD
that reads from the Quick Restore partition (which does not exist on the
laptop)?

Thanks
-Kevin

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Order the QuickRestore kit ftrom 800-841-2761. It's $10.
> HH
>
> "Kevin S." <kseitz@gbronline.com> wrote in message
>> I received a Compaq Presario 1700 Notebook (model number 17XL365) from my
>> neighbor a while ago. The laptop's OS (Windows XP) was in bad shape, so I
>> decided to reformat the whole hard drive. Big mistake. After formatting
> the
>> whole hard drive, I found out that the Quick Restore CD only contains
>> 1.44
>> megabytes of information! The CD only loads a command prompt.
>>
>> Anyways, I have been looking at Compaq/HP's website and have found
>> nothing
>> on how to repair this laptop. The laptop's default OS is Windows Me.
>>
>> Is there any way I can get this thing running with Windows Me in factory
>> condition? Any place I could get a CD that contains all of the restore
>> information... not just a lousy boot disk?
>>
>> (Now, if we really want to get into detail, I also destroyed any hope of
> my
>> aunt's computer coming back to Windows Me also. They don't know that
>> yet.)
>>
>> Thanks for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
>> -Kevin S.

Related resources
August 30, 2004 10:27:19 AM

The QuickRestore CDs have the complete original software image.After you run
it, it will restart with the original boot sequence.

> So, if I order the Quick Restore kit, will the CDs contain all of the
> original software that came with my laptop? Or will it be just a boot CD
> that reads from the Quick Restore partition (which does not exist on the
> laptop)?
>
> Thanks
> -Kevin
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Order the QuickRestore kit ftrom 800-841-2761. It's $10.
> > HH
> >
> > "Kevin S." <kseitz@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> >> I received a Compaq Presario 1700 Notebook (model number 17XL365) from
my
> >> neighbor a while ago. The laptop's OS (Windows XP) was in bad shape, so
> >> decided to reformat the whole hard drive. Big mistake. After formatting
> > the
> >> whole hard drive, I found out that the Quick Restore CD only contains
> >> 1.44
> >> megabytes of information! The CD only loads a command prompt.
> >>
> >> Anyways, I have been looking at Compaq/HP's website and have found
> >> nothing
> >> on how to repair this laptop. The laptop's default OS is Windows Me.
> >>
> >> Is there any way I can get this thing running with Windows Me in
factory
> >> condition? Any place I could get a CD that contains all of the restore
> >> information... not just a lousy boot disk?
> >>
> >> (Now, if we really want to get into detail, I also destroyed any hope
of
> > my
> >> aunt's computer coming back to Windows Me also. They don't know that
> >> yet.)
> >>
> >> Thanks for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
> >> -Kevin S.

Anonymous
March 30, 2009 6:30:33 PM

Note that after you have run the 3 disks you will have to spend some time downloading Windows Service Packs 1 thru 3 and a host of KB articles.
!