Perpetual Scan Disk/Chkdsk

I had a game freeze up on me (I have had the game for several weeks now).
Once I rebooted decided to run disk cleanup and then I ran Scan Disk. It
came back saying something to the effect that it would not run, try running
it on the next startup of the computer, I then set it up to do so. When it
rebooted it ran thru phase 1 and stopped on phase 2 and quickly flashed an
error screen that I cannot read but 5 words before the system reboots.
I would like to stop the SD, however, my keyboard is not active during the
time I have the opportunity to cancel SD so, it keeps going and going.
How do I get the keyboard to activate, and stay on when initializing SD so I
can cancel SD. FYI-It is active when I enter my bios password.
--
Gene
2 answers Last reply

    Thier is no "scan disk" in windows xp,its CHKDSK C: /F or /R for repair.
    To cancel CHKDSK on start-up,open cmd type:CHKntfs /X C:

    "Gene" wrote:

    > I had a game freeze up on me (I have had the game for several weeks now).
    > Once I rebooted decided to run disk cleanup and then I ran Scan Disk. It
    > came back saying something to the effect that it would not run, try running
    > it on the next startup of the computer, I then set it up to do so. When it
    > rebooted it ran thru phase 1 and stopped on phase 2 and quickly flashed an
    > error screen that I cannot read but 5 words before the system reboots.
    > I would like to stop the SD, however, my keyboard is not active during the
    > time I have the opportunity to cancel SD so, it keeps going and going.
    > How do I get the keyboard to activate, and stay on when initializing SD so I
    > can cancel SD. FYI-It is active when I enter my bios password.
    > --
    > Gene

    Thank youfor your quick response. I tried it, however, when the system
    starts up it goes directly to chkdsk. I do not have an opportunity to do
    anything else. I can't even cancel chkdisk in the 10 seconds it allows me to
    do so because my keyboard has not re-activated within that time frame. How
    do I get to where I can open cmd type:CHKntfs /X C:?
    --
    Gene

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Thier is no "scan disk" in windows xp,its CHKDSK C: /F or /R for repair.
    > To cancel CHKDSK on start-up,open cmd type:CHKntfs /X C:
    >
    > "Gene" wrote:
    >
    > > I had a game freeze up on me (I have had the game for several weeks now).
    > > Once I rebooted decided to run disk cleanup and then I ran Scan Disk. It
    > > came back saying something to the effect that it would not run, try running
    > > it on the next startup of the computer, I then set it up to do so. When it
    > > rebooted it ran thru phase 1 and stopped on phase 2 and quickly flashed an
    > > error screen that I cannot read but 5 words before the system reboots.
    > > I would like to stop the SD, however, my keyboard is not active during the
    > > time I have the opportunity to cancel SD so, it keeps going and going.
    > > How do I get the keyboard to activate, and stay on when initializing SD so I
    > > can cancel SD. FYI-It is active when I enter my bios password.
    > > --
    > > Gene

Windows XP