Replacing USB DSL and Easing Into Wireless

I've got an Alcatel Speedtouch USB that I want to replace so that I
don't need that computer to be 'on' all of the time (using Windows
Internet Connection Sharing... never had a router).

Actiontec GT701-wg, Westell VersaLink 327W, and Speedstream 6300
came-up on eBay when I searched for 802.11g and DSL, but I couldn't
tell if I could still use my ethernet wiring (cat-5e) with them.

Is there a "one box" solution that will take me from DSL to 802.11g and
cat5e at the same time? (and is reasonable).

Are there any (more) DSL modem / wireless / wired routers out there
that would be good? Are they any that should be avoided (problematic)?

--Dale--

DRS.Usenet@sengsational.com wrote:
> I've got an Alcatel Speedtouch USB that I want to replace so that I
> don't need that computer to be 'on' all of the time (using Windows
> Internet Connection Sharing... never had a router).
>
> Actiontec GT701-wg, Westell VersaLink 327W, and Speedstream 6300
> came-up on eBay when I searched for 802.11g and DSL, but I couldn't
> tell if I could still use my ethernet wiring (cat-5e) with them.
>
> Is there a "one box" solution that will take me from DSL to 802.11g and
> cat5e at the same time? (and is reasonable).

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=372

You will almost certainly pay more for a one-box solution. DSL modems
are essentially free, there are so many of them around.

DS

SMS wrote:
> DRS.Usenet@sengsational.com wrote:
>
>> I've got an Alcatel Speedtouch USB that I want to replace so that I
>> don't need that computer to be 'on' all of the time (using Windows
>> Internet Connection Sharing... never had a router).
>>
>> Actiontec GT701-wg, Westell VersaLink 327W, and Speedstream 6300
>> came-up on eBay when I searched for 802.11g and DSL, but I couldn't
>> tell if I could still use my ethernet wiring (cat-5e) with them.
>>
>> Is there a "one box" solution that will take me from DSL to 802.11g and
>> cat5e at the same time? (and is reasonable).
>

> http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=372
>
> You will almost certainly pay more for a one-box solution. DSL modems
> are essentially free, there are so many of them around.

I have the actiontec and it does what you are asking.
Find out what your ISP uses first. Some are not always compatable with
all dsl services.