Arctic Silver

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm so happy, I just had to tell you guys about this.
I finally got my Arctic silver thermal compound. I put it on my Duron 600@850. I have a Global Win FOP32 HS/Fan. I am using the Asus A7V rev. 1.02 bios 1004. This bios version has been known to run much hotter than any other version or any other motherboard.
My cpu temperature went from 48C idle to 41C idle. Yes, that's right, 7 degrees celcius.
I personally think that is extremely impressive for only exchanging Arctic Silver for that pink sticky crap that comes on the bottom of the HS/fan.

Anyway, I'm extremely happy and just thought I would share.
I would recommend this stuff to anyone overclocking.

mpjesse

Splendid
That's about right for the Artic Silver compound. That stuff is the bomb. Try getting a new all copper heatsink and see if that'll lower the temp too.

-MP Jesse

G

Just went and bought some myself, The reviews are a seller alone...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
OCZ.SAFESHOPPER.COM will sell you a 1.5 oz capsule of Artic Silver for $2.50 + $1.03 shipping. That's about enough for 5-10 applications. The standard container holds 6.5 oz. OCZ sells it for $9.99 but charges $6 for shipping which is expensive unless you buy something else in conjunction.

OCZ specializes in overclockers' needs and has some cool specials like motherboard/CPU/memory combos and custom built and tweeked Geforce 2 MX, GTS, & Pro cards

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
OOPS!

I meant grams. 1.5 grams for $2.50 and 6.5 grams $9.99 of Arctic Silver. 6.5 grams is the common size for Arctic Silver.

Sorry about that.

1.5 grams should be enough for about 10 applications on a Tbird/Duron.

Nevin

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Please Note

The 1.5 gram capsules and syringes of "silver" thermal compound being sold by OCZ and others are not Arctic Silver.

We cannot be responsible for their content or performance.

Nevin House
President
Arctic Silver LLC

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I feel so dumb! (I also feel duped). I don't know how I could have made that blunder.

I offer my sincere apologies to Nevin House and Arctic Silver LLC and to anyone that accepted my post as fact. It was not MY intention to mislead.

Nevin

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I didn't mean to make you feel bad.

Just remember, with the success and popularity of Arctic Silver, there will always be people trying to make a quick buck off the performance and reputation of the real product.

Some will claim their small tube of compound IS Arctic Silver, others will play it safe and hope you just think it is Arctic Silver without them really saying that it is.

To be sure...

The only way Arctic Silver is currently sold is in the 3cc white or black industrial syringes with the brushed silver labels.

You can see the syringe here:

<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_compound.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_compound.htm</A>

Nevin

G

LOL

Duron 700@900 Asus A7V 1003
128mb PC100 WD 30gig ata 100
prophet II mx

G

of course, i'm still waiting for someone to try my idea of interfacing the heatsink to the cpu using elemental gallium. not a chemistry buff, but i don't think it will corrode the MB or CPU, and it's thermal transfer is about 20 times that of arctic silver (if i remember correctly; i posted actual thermal transfer constants in an earlier post).

again, i don't want to be held responsible should you put on too much and it melts (as it should, just don't don't put on too much that it will drip out of the gap between HS and CPU)) and drips onto your mb or something, but theoretically using gallium as a transfer compound should rock hardcore. i mean, with a liquid metal as the transfer between cpu and a copper heatsink? come on, that would rock.

i'm just not sure it wouldn't gradually oxidize itself or corrod the MB/CPU.

G

While some people have had similar experiences, other have reported no change in their CPU temp by using Arctic Silver instead of other common thermal grease.

It depends a lot on exactly how hot your CPU is running and how warm you case temp is.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
InflowDirect sells Artic Silver optimized for small and large contact areas. So is the Thunderbird core small or large?

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
k just makin sure, i mean its all relative, .25 manufacturing process seems big, hehe

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

G

The arctic silver website has link to many resellers of it on the web. Socket CPUs like most T-Birds would be small contact area while Slot CPUs like most Pentium II and IIIs are large contact area.

G

Can you make some smaller tube or capsule, say 1 or 0.5cc, so that more people can afford and enjoy your ingenious product?

G

Can you make some smaller tube or capsule, say 1 or 0.5cc, so that more people can afford and enjoy your ingenious product?