Keybord inoperable in XP

I downloaded firmware for the Plextor 708 (708_111.exe) from Plextor's North
American site.

After installing, information presented indicated success and required a
reboot.

After rebooting the keyboard has been inoperable when WIN XP Professional is
booted.

Keyboard is operational when entering the BIOS and when booting from a
prepared ms-dos disk. Windows boots to the sign-in stage but I am unable to
type the password.

I had been using a Logitech wireless keyboard but when the BIOS reported NO
KEYBOARD FOUND I switched to a conventional keyboard which satisfied the
BIOS but not WIN XP.

Any advise appreciated.

Don

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

This usually happens with a USB keyboard. If that is the case, the simplest
thing to do is borrow a PS/2 keyboard from a friend. Since this was a
firmware upgrade, try unplugging the plextor drive for troubleshooting.

You may be able to use F8 and get into safe mode, and
have things go back to normal enough to troubleshoot further.

It may be necessary to uninstall the USB port and Controller drivers,
reboot, and let winXP redetect and reinstall the USB port and controller
drivers.

"Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote in message
> This usually happens with a USB keyboard. If that is the case, the
> simplest
> thing to do is borrow a PS/2 keyboard from a friend. Since this was a
> firmware upgrade, try unplugging the plextor drive for troubleshooting.
>
> You may be able to use F8 and get into safe mode, and
> have things go back to normal enough to troubleshoot further.
>
> It may be necessary to uninstall the USB port and Controller drivers,
> reboot, and let winXP redetect and reinstall the USB port and controller
> drivers.

Thanks for the reply Chuck

I did switch to a PS/2 keyboard as you suggested, however that only solved
the BIOS warning but did not permit me to operate in XP.

I was able to use the keyboard at the phase of the startup sequence where
selecting F8 is required. I have tried SAFE mode and most of the others but
I am not able to use the keyboard in those modes either.

I also cannot use the keyboard when booting form the original WinXP disk.

I haven't tried uninstalling the drivers. I can delete or rename them from
the drive when I have it installed in another computer. Can XP reinstall
them if that is done?

Thank you for your suggestions

I have recovered a text file from the hard drive that is a LOG of the
firmware installation that preceded my keyboard problem.

Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to decipher what it did to
create this problem.

I have sent a copy of the LOG to Plextor support but I don't know if or when
they may reply.

"Don Morgan" <don_morgan4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded firmware for the Plextor 708 (708_111.exe) from Plextor's
>North American site.
>
> After installing, information presented indicated success and required a
> reboot.
>
> After rebooting the keyboard has been inoperable when WIN XP Professional
> is booted.
>
> Keyboard is operational when entering the BIOS and when booting from a
> prepared ms-dos disk. Windows boots to the sign-in stage but I am unable
> to type the password.
>
> I had been using a Logitech wireless keyboard but when the BIOS reported
> NO KEYBOARD FOUND I switched to a conventional keyboard which satisfied
> the BIOS but not WIN XP.
>
> Any advise appreciated.
>
> Don

For anyone who might be paranoid it will happen to them, goto START>RUN>
(type) OSK to get an on-screen-keyboard, I would also reccommend you make a
shortcut to osk.exe (found in WINDOWS/SYSTEM32) and pin it to your
start.... this is also providing your mouse doesn't decide to walk as well..