Perfmon is dead. How can I revive it?

I start Perfmon and there are no counters available when I try to add a
counter. I finally tracked down a registry key important to Perfmon:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009

and it seems to be missing the Help string value. Meanwhile, the key
forbids me from writing to it, so if I try to create a new data item
there, it comes back with a message box saying: "Cannot create value:
Error writing to the registry.". The permissions are all ok, so I
don't know what is going on.
Am I even going about fixing Perfmon the right way?

I am on Windows XP, service pack 2.
Thanks.

P.S. Originally posted in the wrong NG, repost.
1 answer Last reply
More about perfmon dead revive

    Try this:

    "Frank Rizzo" wrote:

    > I start Perfmon and there are no counters available when I try to add a
    > counter. I finally tracked down a registry key important to Perfmon:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009
    >
    > and it seems to be missing the Help string value. Meanwhile, the key
    > forbids me from writing to it, so if I try to create a new data item
    > there, it comes back with a message box saying: "Cannot create value:
    > Error writing to the registry.". The permissions are all ok, so I
    > don't know what is going on.
    > Am I even going about fixing Perfmon the right way?
    >
    > I am on Windows XP, service pack 2.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > P.S. Originally posted in the wrong NG, repost.

Microsoft Registry Windows XP