System Hangs and Data Loss

September 13, 2005 11:28:03 PM

Hi all,

I have several hard drives and just bought a new 300 gig unit. I installed
this and split it into two partitions (one to become my windows install and
the other to become data storage). I copied everything to the data storage
drive as a backup so I could format my old partitions and start fresh.

I re-installed windows which was unable to see my entire partitions (I am
guessing cause drives were too large not sure what the limit is). I
installed Windows on my new SATA drive and the performance is not what I
expected. It hangs whenever accessing my hard drives so something is clearly
wrong (displaying my computer or an individual drive, or exploring a drive
through a menu, etc.)

Furthermore, I cannot access any of the data I backed up (kicking myself for
not burnign it but it would have been too large).

Any ideas on how to get this back and how to improve performance? The whole
system seems way too slow now.

I even bought GetDataBack to try to recover my lost files but no luck thus
far.

Any help is sooooo appreciated!

More about : system hangs data loss

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 5:42:03 PM

ivanjay Wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have several hard drives and just bought a new 300 gig unit. I
> installed
> this and split it into two partitions (one to become my windows install
> and
> the other to become data storage). I copied everything to the data
> storage
> drive as a backup so I could format my old partitions and start fresh.
>
> I re-installed windows which was unable to see my entire partitions (I
> am
> guessing cause drives were too large not sure what the limit is). I
> installed Windows on my new SATA drive and the performance is not what
> expected. It hangs whenever accessing my hard drives so something is
> clearly
> wrong (displaying my computer or an individual drive, or exploring a
> drive
> through a menu, etc.)
>
> Furthermore, I cannot access any of the data I backed up (kicking
> myself for
> not burnign it but it would have been too large).
>
> Any ideas on how to get this back and how to improve performance? The
> whole
> system seems way too slow now.
>
> I even bought GetDataBack to try to recover my lost files but no luck
> thus
> far.
>
> Any help is sooooo appreciated!

Hi Ivan.

With what file system did u partition the drive? (NTFS/FAT32). ofcourse
fat32 has a volume size limitation of 32 GBs but u can exceed by using
softwares such as Partition Magic and others. please mention the file
system so that i might be able to help u.

--
asim662
Anonymous

asim662 Wrote:
> Hi Ivan.
>
> With what file system did u partition the drive? (NTFS/FAT32). ofcourse
> fat32 has a volume size limitation of 32 GBs but u can exceed by using
> softwares such as Partition Magic and others. please mention the file
> system so that i might be able to help u.

Oops. i am sorry for the mistake. so here it goes

with what file system did u format the partitions?

sorry again.

--
asim662
September 14, 2005 6:18:02 PM

I used NTFS. I originally used Partition Magic (before installing the new
drive) to attempt to merge two partitions. That failed and when I installed
the new OS it all got messed up! Thanks!

"asim662" wrote:

> asim662 Wrote:
> > Hi Ivan.
> >
> > With what file system did u partition the drive? (NTFS/FAT32). ofcourse
> > fat32 has a volume size limitation of 32 GBs but u can exceed by using
> > softwares such as Partition Magic and others. please mention the file
> > system so that i might be able to help u.
>
> Oops. i am sorry for the mistake. so here it goes
>
> with what file system did u format the partitions?
>
> sorry again.
>

> --
> asim662

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 6:00:31 PM

ivanjay Wrote:
> I used NTFS. I originally used Partition Magic (before installing the
> new
> drive) to attempt to merge two partitions. That failed and when I
> installed
> the new OS it all got messed up! Thanks!
>
> "asim662" wrote:
> -
>
> asim662 Wrote:-
> Hi Ivan.
>
> With what file system did u partition the drive? (NTFS/FAT32).
> ofcourse
> fat32 has a volume size limitation of 32 GBs but u can exceed by
> using
> softwares such as Partition Magic and others. please mention the
> file
> system so that i might be able to help u.-
>
> Oops. i am sorry for the mistake. so here it goes
>
> with what file system did u format the partitions?
>
> sorry again.
>

> --
> asim662
> -

Hi.

Thanx for the info. It's good that u used NTFS. NTFS has a volume size
limitation of 16 TB. since ur partition merger operation was
unsuccessful, it might have corrupted the MBR, so try using a data
recovery software like ontrack (www.ontrack.com) and take the corrupted
partition backup on a working hard drive partition (preferably on a
second hard disk). Hope this helps. do let me know.

--
asim662
Anonymous

Hi,

To recover data, Active@ Undelete can be used. It has the best recover
algorithm i've ever met, so imho this is number One restore tool.
Really.
http://www.active-undelete.com/
!