Running More Than One Anti-Spyware Program

Conventional wisdom is to not run two antivirus programs at the same time. Is the same true for anti-spyware programs?

For example, I have Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite and Webroot Spy Sweeper, both of which include a full time spyware detector/remover. Is it unwise to have both these running at the same time, i.e., will this compromise the ability to detect and remove spyware?

I actually don't run them both at the same time any more, since Spy Sweeper was affecting my computer's speed. (It took an extra couple of seconds to open documents or e-mail, kind of annoying.) I'm thinking of maybe running another spyware detector/remover, but not if it's going to conflict with ZAISS.

Jay Goldman
2 answers Last reply
More about running anti spyware program

    "Jay Goldman" <j.goldman@msn.com> wrote in message
    Conventional wisdom is to not run two antivirus programs at the same time.
    Is the same true for anti-spyware programs?

    For example, I have Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite and Webroot Spy
    Sweeper, both of which include a full time spyware detector/remover. Is it
    unwise to have both these running at the same time, i.e., will this
    compromise the ability to detect and remove spyware?

    I actually don't run them both at the same time any more, since Spy Sweeper
    was affecting my computer's speed. (It took an extra couple of seconds to
    open documents or e-mail, kind of annoying.) I'm thinking of maybe running
    another spyware detector/remover, but not if it's going to conflict with
    ZAISS.

    Jay Goldman

    Having more than one real-time monitoring tool would probably be annoying,
    more than anything.Whether they actually confilict with each other would
    probably depend on the programs themselves.

    On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with having one monitoring tool
    running and then having a couple removal tools standing by that you can run
    manually every now and then, just to make sure nothing is sneaking in when
    you aren't looking.

    Jay Goldman Wrote:
    > Conventional wisdom is to not run two antivirus programs at the same =
    > time. Is the same true for anti-spyware programs?
    >
    > For example, I have Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite and Webroot Spy
    > =
    > Sweeper, both of which include a full time spyware detector/remover. Is
    > =
    > it unwise to have both these running at the same time, i.e., will this
    > =
    > compromise the ability to detect and remove spyware?
    >
    > I actually don't run them both at the same time any more, since Spy =
    > Sweeper was affecting my computer's speed. (It took an extra couple of
    > =
    > seconds to open documents or e-mail, kind of annoying.) I'm thinking of
    > =
    > maybe running another spyware detector/remover, but not if it's going
    > to =
    > conflict with ZAISS.
    >
    > Jay Goldman

    Hi Jay.

    Of Course one cannot use 2 antivirus products at once coz this will
    most probably slow down the system to a great extent, but there is no
    problem using 2 antispyware and it will only make ur system stronger
    against spyware but make sure u run them at different intervals of time
    and not simultaneously. and having 2 antispyware will make sure the
    other program catches the culprit if the first one misses it. The
    antivirus case doesn't apply here. hope that was useful.

    --
    asim662

Anti Spyware Spyware Windows XP