Incorrect Monitor Refresh Rate

My monitors refresh rate was set at 60Mhz (default) and a friend changed it
to 70 or 75Mhz without knowing if my monitor can support it. My monitor went
blank and remains blank after every reboot. I cannot see anything on the
screen so I can't enter BIOS or Windows to change it back to 60Mhz.

I am running XP Home and my monitor is a HP Pavillion f1703

Everything ran properly before the incorrect refresh rate was set.

Help please
11 answers Last reply
More about incorrect monitor refresh rate

    "All I see is blank" <All I see is blank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:791C65A1-4F9C-4544-9360-9CC90099759F@microsoft.com...
    > My monitors refresh rate was set at 60Mhz (default) and a friend changed
    > it
    > to 70 or 75Mhz without knowing if my monitor can support it. My monitor
    > went
    > blank and remains blank after every reboot. I cannot see anything on the
    > screen so I can't enter BIOS or Windows to change it back to 60Mhz.
    >
    > I am running XP Home and my monitor is a HP Pavillion f1703
    >
    > Everything ran properly before the incorrect refresh rate was set.
    >
    > Help please

    Normally the procedure to correct this problem is to start the computer in
    safe mode (tap f8 while the computer is booting) which loads only the
    standard VGA driver at low color depth and refresh rate, and change the
    refresh rate to something the monitor supports.

    That you say you can't enter BIOS is somewhat worrisome as this takes place
    before Windows starts to load and therefor the Windows set refresh rate
    would not be a factor. If you get no response from the monitor during POST
    and are truly unable to enter BIOS or start in safe mode it is possible that
    the monitor may have been damaged. Try it on another computer if possible.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    I just tried putting my moniter on another computer and it works. I took his
    monitor and hooked it to mine and it's the same problem as before. This is
    very worrisome. Any more advice?

    Did you try using safe mode to get into computer?
    "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:CFB9927D-624A-4E97-A26F-07BB159FF4F0@microsoft.com...

    "George Schloicka" <gschloic@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Did you try using safe mode to get into computer?
    > "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:CFB9927D-624A-4E97-A26F-07BB159FF4F0@microsoft.com...
    >> I just tried putting my moniter on another computer and it works. I took
    > his
    >> monitor and hooked it to mine and it's the same problem as before. This
    >> is
    >> very worrisome. Any more advice?

    Can you try another monitor on your computer?

    Are you hearing the normal startup sounds on the computer?

    No, when I turn on the computer and monitor the monitor goes to sleep and you
    can't see anything. So I can't access Safe Mode

    "George Schloicka" wrote:

    > Did you try using safe mode to get into computer?
    > "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:CFB9927D-624A-4E97-A26F-07BB159FF4F0@microsoft.com...
    > > I just tried putting my moniter on another computer and it works. I took
    > his
    > > monitor and hooked it to mine and it's the same problem as before. This is
    > > very worrisome. Any more advice?

    The fans and HD and all that good stuff runs but no display. To my knowledge
    it never makes it past the pre Windows start up routine since I don't hear
    the windows login sound/music. I don't have access to another monitor beside
    mine and the other one which I tried

    "D.Currie" wrote:

    > "George Schloicka" <gschloic@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Did you try using safe mode to get into computer?
    > > "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:CFB9927D-624A-4E97-A26F-07BB159FF4F0@microsoft.com...
    > >> I just tried putting my moniter on another computer and it works. I took
    > > his
    > >> monitor and hooked it to mine and it's the same problem as before. This
    > >> is
    > >> very worrisome. Any more advice?
    > >

    > Can you try another monitor on your computer?
    >
    > Are you hearing the normal startup sounds on the computer?

    Update:

    Today I tried using a different video card. All though mine was a Radeon and
    the one I tested was a Nvidia I thought perhaps it would atleast show the
    pre-XP loading sequence. It did not. I am still very confused and worried,
    The startup goes as normal. All the fans run, it's checking the cd drive (XP
    is in it) Everything is working except I can't see anything the moment I turn
    it on. I don't know what to do and cannot afford to send it to a shop right
    now

    Does your Mobo have a build in Video card that you used at one time??
    peterk

    "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:61423DF7-2186-4E3C-85A1-B6019D58807D@microsoft.com...
    > Update:
    >
    > Today I tried using a different video card. All though mine was a Radeon
    > and
    > the one I tested was a Nvidia I thought perhaps it would atleast show the
    > pre-XP loading sequence. It did not. I am still very confused and worried,
    > The startup goes as normal. All the fans run, it's checking the cd drive
    > (XP
    > is in it) Everything is working except I can't see anything the moment I
    > turn
    > it on. I don't know what to do and cannot afford to send it to a shop
    > right
    > now
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    To my knowledge no, It was bought second hand however it came with a Radeon
    9800 Pro or Ultra (whatever they call it) so I don't believe it had a built
    in vid card ever. I don't exactly know the definition of a built in video
    card is I'll tell you how mine plugs in. The video card goes in the tower and
    snaps into a green slot which is attached to the Mobo. I am guessing a built
    in video card is basically what it sounds, it's built into the motherboard
    it's self?! ( would like to know the difference though so for personal
    knowledge :D)

    "peterk" wrote:

    > Does your Mobo have a build in Video card that you used at one time??
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:61423DF7-2186-4E3C-85A1-B6019D58807D@microsoft.com...
    > > Update:
    > >
    > > Today I tried using a different video card. All though mine was a Radeon
    > > and
    > > the one I tested was a Nvidia I thought perhaps it would atleast show the
    > > pre-XP loading sequence. It did not. I am still very confused and worried,
    > > The startup goes as normal. All the fans run, it's checking the cd drive
    > > (XP
    > > is in it) Everything is working except I can't see anything the moment I
    > > turn
    > > it on. I don't know what to do and cannot afford to send it to a shop
    > > right
    > > now

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    If the Motherboard has built-in video, a video display connector separate
    from the one on the plug-in video card is normally present. If built-in
    video exists, there is usually a BIOS switch and or a jumper on the
    motherboard to enable/disable it.
    You might try changing a bios setting from AGP to VGA (if appropriate). This
    may allow the system to come up with generic VGA video.

    "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:1A5DCDA9-1011-43B8-870C-BE3D438E46B9@microsoft.com...
    > To my knowledge no, It was bought second hand however it came with a
    Radeon
    > 9800 Pro or Ultra (whatever they call it) so I don't believe it had a
    built
    > in vid card ever. I don't exactly know the definition of a built in video
    > card is I'll tell you how mine plugs in. The video card goes in the tower
    and
    > snaps into a green slot which is attached to the Mobo. I am guessing a
    built
    > in video card is basically what it sounds, it's built into the motherboard
    > it's self?! ( would like to know the difference though so for personal
    > knowledge :D)
    >
    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    > > Does your Mobo have a build in Video card that you used at one time??
    > > peterk
    > >
    > > --
    > > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > > "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:61423DF7-2186-4E3C-85A1-B6019D58807D@microsoft.com...
    > > > Update:
    > > >
    > > > Today I tried using a different video card. All though mine was a
    Radeon
    > > > and
    > > > the one I tested was a Nvidia I thought perhaps it would atleast show
    the
    > > > pre-XP loading sequence. It did not. I am still very confused and
    worried,
    > > > The startup goes as normal. All the fans run, it's checking the cd
    drive
    > > > (XP
    > > > is in it) Everything is working except I can't see anything the moment
    > > > turn
    > > > it on. I don't know what to do and cannot afford to send it to a shop
    > > > right
    > > > now

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    2 suggestions
    move your video card to another computer..........does it work.??
    if the answer is yes.............AGP slots have been known to "burn" out

    Have you tried a PCI based video card??

    peterk

    "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:1A5DCDA9-1011-43B8-870C-BE3D438E46B9@microsoft.com...
    > To my knowledge no, It was bought second hand however it came with a
    > Radeon
    > 9800 Pro or Ultra (whatever they call it) so I don't believe it had a
    > built
    > in vid card ever. I don't exactly know the definition of a built in video
    > card is I'll tell you how mine plugs in. The video card goes in the tower
    > and
    > snaps into a green slot which is attached to the Mobo. I am guessing a
    > built
    > in video card is basically what it sounds, it's built into the motherboard
    > it's self?! ( would like to know the difference though so for personal
    > knowledge :D)
    >
    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> Does your Mobo have a build in Video card that you used at one time??
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    >> "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:61423DF7-2186-4E3C-85A1-B6019D58807D@microsoft.com...
    >> > Update:
    >> >
    >> > Today I tried using a different video card. All though mine was a
    >> > Radeon
    >> > and
    >> > the one I tested was a Nvidia I thought perhaps it would atleast show
    >> > the
    >> > pre-XP loading sequence. It did not. I am still very confused and
    >> > worried,
    >> > The startup goes as normal. All the fans run, it's checking the cd
    >> > drive
    >> > (XP
    >> > is in it) Everything is working except I can't see anything the moment
    >> > turn
    >> > it on. I don't know what to do and cannot afford to send it to a shop
    >> > right
    >> > now

Hewlett Packard Monitors Microsoft Windows XP