  • Windows XP
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 14, 2005 6:25:03 PM

My monitors refresh rate was set at 60Mhz (default) and a friend changed it
to 70 or 75Mhz without knowing if my monitor can support it. My monitor went
blank and remains blank after every reboot. I cannot see anything on the
screen so I can't enter BIOS or Windows to change it back to 60Mhz.

I am running XP Home and my monitor is a HP Pavillion f1703

Everything ran properly before the incorrect refresh rate was set.

Help please

More about : incorrect monitor refresh rate

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 14, 2005 9:38:54 PM

"All I see is blank" <All I see is blank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:791C65A1-4F9C-4544-9360-9CC90099759F@microsoft.com...
> My monitors refresh rate was set at 60Mhz (default) and a friend changed
> it
> to 70 or 75Mhz without knowing if my monitor can support it. My monitor
> went
> blank and remains blank after every reboot. I cannot see anything on the
> screen so I can't enter BIOS or Windows to change it back to 60Mhz.
>
> I am running XP Home and my monitor is a HP Pavillion f1703
>
> Everything ran properly before the incorrect refresh rate was set.
>
> Help please

Normally the procedure to correct this problem is to start the computer in
safe mode (tap f8 while the computer is booting) which loads only the
standard VGA driver at low color depth and refresh rate, and change the
refresh rate to something the monitor supports.

That you say you can't enter BIOS is somewhat worrisome as this takes place
before Windows starts to load and therefor the Windows set refresh rate
would not be a factor. If you get no response from the monitor during POST
and are truly unable to enter BIOS or start in safe mode it is possible that
the monitor may have been damaged. Try it on another computer if possible.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 14, 2005 11:23:01 PM

I just tried putting my moniter on another computer and it works. I took his
monitor and hooked it to mine and it's the same problem as before. This is
very worrisome. Any more advice?
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 15, 2005 3:45:02 AM

Did you try using safe mode to get into computer?
"All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CFB9927D-624A-4E97-A26F-07BB159FF4F0@microsoft.com...
> I just tried putting my moniter on another computer and it works. I took
his
> monitor and hooked it to mine and it's the same problem as before. This is
> very worrisome. Any more advice?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 15, 2005 3:45:03 AM

"George Schloicka" <gschloic@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> Did you try using safe mode to get into computer?
> "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CFB9927D-624A-4E97-A26F-07BB159FF4F0@microsoft.com...
>> I just tried putting my moniter on another computer and it works. I took
> his
>> monitor and hooked it to mine and it's the same problem as before. This
>> is
>> very worrisome. Any more advice?

Can you try another monitor on your computer?

Are you hearing the normal startup sounds on the computer?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 15, 2005 3:45:03 AM

No, when I turn on the computer and monitor the monitor goes to sleep and you
can't see anything. So I can't access Safe Mode

"George Schloicka" wrote:

> Did you try using safe mode to get into computer?
> "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CFB9927D-624A-4E97-A26F-07BB159FF4F0@microsoft.com...
> > I just tried putting my moniter on another computer and it works. I took
> his
> > monitor and hooked it to mine and it's the same problem as before. This is
> > very worrisome. Any more advice?

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 15, 2005 3:45:04 AM

The fans and HD and all that good stuff runs but no display. To my knowledge
it never makes it past the pre Windows start up routine since I don't hear
the windows login sound/music. I don't have access to another monitor beside
mine and the other one which I tried

"D.Currie" wrote:

> "George Schloicka" <gschloic@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Did you try using safe mode to get into computer?
> > "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:CFB9927D-624A-4E97-A26F-07BB159FF4F0@microsoft.com...
> >> I just tried putting my moniter on another computer and it works. I took
> > his
> >> monitor and hooked it to mine and it's the same problem as before. This
> >> is
> >> very worrisome. Any more advice?
> >

> Can you try another monitor on your computer?
>
> Are you hearing the normal startup sounds on the computer?

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 15, 2005 9:12:01 PM

Update:

Today I tried using a different video card. All though mine was a Radeon and
the one I tested was a Nvidia I thought perhaps it would atleast show the
pre-XP loading sequence. It did not. I am still very confused and worried,
The startup goes as normal. All the fans run, it's checking the cd drive (XP
is in it) Everything is working except I can't see anything the moment I turn
it on. I don't know what to do and cannot afford to send it to a shop right
now
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 15, 2005 10:38:34 PM

Does your Mobo have a build in Video card that you used at one time??
peterk

"All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:61423DF7-2186-4E3C-85A1-B6019D58807D@microsoft.com...
> Update:
>
> Today I tried using a different video card. All though mine was a Radeon
> and
> the one I tested was a Nvidia I thought perhaps it would atleast show the
> pre-XP loading sequence. It did not. I am still very confused and worried,
> The startup goes as normal. All the fans run, it's checking the cd drive
> (XP
> is in it) Everything is working except I can't see anything the moment I
> turn
> it on. I don't know what to do and cannot afford to send it to a shop
> right
> now
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 16, 2005 6:10:02 AM

To my knowledge no, It was bought second hand however it came with a Radeon
9800 Pro or Ultra (whatever they call it) so I don't believe it had a built
in vid card ever. I don't exactly know the definition of a built in video
card is I'll tell you how mine plugs in. The video card goes in the tower and
snaps into a green slot which is attached to the Mobo. I am guessing a built
in video card is basically what it sounds, it's built into the motherboard
it's self?! ( would like to know the difference though so for personal
knowledge :D )

"peterk" wrote:

> Does your Mobo have a build in Video card that you used at one time??
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:61423DF7-2186-4E3C-85A1-B6019D58807D@microsoft.com...
> > Update:
> >
> > Today I tried using a different video card. All though mine was a Radeon
> > and
> > the one I tested was a Nvidia I thought perhaps it would atleast show the
> > pre-XP loading sequence. It did not. I am still very confused and worried,
> > The startup goes as normal. All the fans run, it's checking the cd drive
> > (XP
> > is in it) Everything is working except I can't see anything the moment I
> > turn
> > it on. I don't know what to do and cannot afford to send it to a shop
> > right
> > now

September 16, 2005 4:40:10 PM

If the Motherboard has built-in video, a video display connector separate
from the one on the plug-in video card is normally present. If built-in
video exists, there is usually a BIOS switch and or a jumper on the
motherboard to enable/disable it.
You might try changing a bios setting from AGP to VGA (if appropriate). This
may allow the system to come up with generic VGA video.

"All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1A5DCDA9-1011-43B8-870C-BE3D438E46B9@microsoft.com...
> To my knowledge no, It was bought second hand however it came with a
Radeon
> 9800 Pro or Ultra (whatever they call it) so I don't believe it had a
built
> in vid card ever. I don't exactly know the definition of a built in video
> card is I'll tell you how mine plugs in. The video card goes in the tower
and
> snaps into a green slot which is attached to the Mobo. I am guessing a
built
> in video card is basically what it sounds, it's built into the motherboard
> it's self?! ( would like to know the difference though so for personal
> knowledge :D )
>
> "peterk" wrote:
>
> > Does your Mobo have a build in Video card that you used at one time??
> > peterk
> >
> > --
> > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> > "All I see is blank" <AllIseeisblank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:61423DF7-2186-4E3C-85A1-B6019D58807D@microsoft.com...
> > > Update:
> > >
> > > Today I tried using a different video card. All though mine was a
Radeon
> > > and
> > > the one I tested was a Nvidia I thought perhaps it would atleast show
the
> > > pre-XP loading sequence. It did not. I am still very confused and
worried,
> > > The startup goes as normal. All the fans run, it's checking the cd
drive
> > > (XP
> > > is in it) Everything is working except I can't see anything the moment
> > > turn
> > > it on. I don't know what to do and cannot afford to send it to a shop
> > > right
> > > now

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b α HP
September 16, 2005 10:57:14 PM

2 suggestions
move your video card to another computer..........does it work.??
if the answer is yes.............AGP slots have been known to "burn" out

Have you tried a PCI based video card??

peterk