Regedit will not let me import backup registry

i created a backup file for my registry, and am trying to restore it due to
minor changes i have made, but when i try to import, i get this error
message: "cannot import (file name). Not all data was successfully written to
the registry. some keys are open by the system or other processes." what does
this mean? and how do i fix it? thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about regedit import backup registry

    tman2o Wrote:
    > i created a backup file for my registry, and am trying to restore it due
    > minor changes i have made, but when i try to import, i get this error
    > message: "cannot import (file name). Not all data was successfully
    > written to
    > the registry. some keys are open by the system or other processes."
    > what does
    > this mean? and how do i fix it? thanks

    Hi there.

    The message means that the registry settings that u r trying to import
    refer to programs that r currently running and hence those settings may
    not be implemented. try this:

    boot into safe mode and close all open windows then try merging the
    registry backup.

    just in case u want to know how to boot in safe mode, just press F8
    while the system boots, u will get a boot option menu. from that menu,
    using arrow keys select 'safe mode' and hit enter.

    Do let me know if that solves ur problem.

    --
    asim662
  2. What if I get that same message even when I try to merge from Safe Mode? I am running Vista Ultimate x64.

Backup Registry Regedit Windows XP