WindowsXP Home SP2 Modem Problem

I'm running a Compaq Presario 5868 with WindowsXP Home Edition and SP2
installed.

I also use a dial-up connection.

Whenever I hang up and try to connect again I get an error message telling
me the modem is off the hook. Error 676. When I reboot everything is fine
until I hang up again and get the same error message.

Didn't have the problem before SP2.

Any suggestions?

Warmest regards,

Joe

If you took the precaution of creating a restore point before you installed
SP2,I suggest you use it.This update has caused an incredible amount of
problems.
"Joe Meadors" <csjjdkspb91s02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running a Compaq Presario 5868 with WindowsXP Home Edition and SP2
> installed.
>
> I also use a dial-up connection.
>
> Whenever I hang up and try to connect again I get an error message telling
> me the modem is off the hook. Error 676. When I reboot everything is
fine
> until I hang up again and get the same error message.
>
> Didn't have the problem before SP2.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Warmest regards,
>
> Joe

Hmm, interesting that the replies have all been negative. SP2 works fine for
me and I know of many others without problems too.

I'd suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the modem drivers first and see
if that solves the problem.

Tom
"Gojira" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If you took the precaution of creating a restore point before you
> installed
> SP2,I suggest you use it.This update has caused an incredible amount of
> problems.
> "Joe Meadors" <csjjdkspb91s02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running a Compaq Presario 5868 with WindowsXP Home Edition and SP2
>> installed.
>>
>> I also use a dial-up connection.
>>
>> Whenever I hang up and try to connect again I get an error message
>> telling
>> me the modem is off the hook. Error 676. When I reboot everything is
> fine
>> until I hang up again and get the same error message.
>>
>> Didn't have the problem before SP2.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Warmest regards,
>>
>> Joe

euclid

Ditto. I uninstalled SP2, which caused too many problems. But that didn't
return my computer to pre-SP2 condition entirely. I had to use my System
Restore point to get everything back to normal. Fortunately I had applied
the Compaq/HP System Restore update, and then made a restore point prior to
installing SP2, so it worked OK.
-E

"Gojira" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If you took the precaution of creating a restore point before you
installed
> SP2,I suggest you use it.This update has caused an incredible amount of
> problems.
> "Joe Meadors" <csjjdkspb91s02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running a Compaq Presario 5868 with WindowsXP Home Edition and SP2
> > installed.
> >
> > I also use a dial-up connection.
> >
> > Whenever I hang up and try to connect again I get an error message
telling
> > me the modem is off the hook. Error 676. When I reboot everything is
> fine
> > until I hang up again and get the same error message.
> >
> > Didn't have the problem before SP2.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Warmest regards,
> >
> > Joe

I didn't install it at all once I learned of the problems it's
caused,especially in the area of browser problems,internet
connections,modems,ect.,anything related to online functions.It's supposed
to be mainly a security update,but I swear it's caused as many problems as
any virus could!
"Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
> Ditto. I uninstalled SP2, which caused too many problems. But that didn't
> return my computer to pre-SP2 condition entirely. I had to use my System
> Restore point to get everything back to normal. Fortunately I had applied
> the Compaq/HP System Restore update, and then made a restore point prior
> installing SP2, so it worked OK.
> -E
>
> "Gojira" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > If you took the precaution of creating a restore point before you
> installed
> > SP2,I suggest you use it.This update has caused an incredible amount of
> > problems.
> > "Joe Meadors" <csjjdkspb91s02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm running a Compaq Presario 5868 with WindowsXP Home Edition and SP2
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > I also use a dial-up connection.
> > >
> > > Whenever I hang up and try to connect again I get an error message
> telling
> > > me the modem is off the hook. Error 676. When I reboot everything is
> > fine
> > > until I hang up again and get the same error message.
> > >
> > > Didn't have the problem before SP2.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Warmest regards,
> > >
> > > Joe

"Joe Meadors" <csjjdkspb91s02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running a Compaq Presario 5868 with WindowsXP Home Edition and SP2
> installed.
>
> I also use a dial-up connection.
>
> Whenever I hang up and try to connect again I get an error message
> telling
> me the modem is off the hook. Error 676. When I reboot everything is
> fine
> until I hang up again and get the same error message.
>
> Didn't have the problem before SP2.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Warmest regards,
>
> Joe

Check Device Manager. There is a possibility that SP2 failed to
install the correct driver. It's done this in several reported cases.

> "Joe Meadors" <csjjdkspb91s02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running a Compaq Presario 5868 with WindowsXP Home Edition and SP2
>> installed.
>>
>> I also use a dial-up connection.
>>
>> Whenever I hang up and try to connect again I get an error message
>> telling
>> me the modem is off the hook. Error 676. When I reboot everything is
>> fine
>> until I hang up again and get the same error message.
>>
>> Didn't have the problem before SP2.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Warmest regards,
>>
>> Joe
>>

> Check Device Manager. There is a possibility that SP2 failed to install
> the correct driver. It's done this in several reported cases.

Well, I know you're all waiting with baited breath.

What I did is go to the Control Panel, delete the modem (not just the
driver) and reboot the system.

Upon rebooting, the system found the modem and installed it properly.

Everything's working just fine now.

Now I just have to figure out what SP2 has other than the virus protection
and firewall.

Thanks for all the replies.

Warmest regards,

Joe

>> "Joe Meadors" <csjjdkspb91s02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm running a Compaq Presario 5868 with WindowsXP Home Edition and SP2
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> I also use a dial-up connection.
>>>
>>> Whenever I hang up and try to connect again I get an error message
>>> telling
>>> me the modem is off the hook. Error 676. When I reboot everything is
>>> fine
>>> until I hang up again and get the same error message.
>>>
>>> Didn't have the problem before SP2.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Warmest regards,
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>

>> Check Device Manager. There is a possibility that SP2 failed to install
>> the correct driver. It's done this in several reported cases.
>
> Well, I know you're all waiting with baited breath.
>
> What I did is go to the Control Panel, delete the modem (not just the
> driver) and reboot the system.
>
> Upon rebooting, the system found the modem and installed it properly.
>
> Everything's working just fine now.
>
> Now I just have to figure out what SP2 has other than the virus protection
> and firewall.
>
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> Warmest regards,
>
> Joe

Well, it DOESN'T have virus protection, so don't count on it.

Tom

> Well, it DOESN'T have virus protection, so don't count on it.

I don't.

Been running Norton Internet Security for quite some time.

Joe

TRENDING THREADS