How to stop performance logging in Perfmon?

Am running XP SP1.

Some time ago I followed a web page which showed m how to set up
Perfmon to track system activity. Now I now want to stop performance
logging.

I can get as far as Start > Admin Tools > Performance which gives me
a window whose left hand pane contains:

Console root
System Monitor
Performance Logs & Alerts
Counter Logs
Trace Logs
Alerts

What do I need to do to switch off the performance logging.
1 answer Last reply
More about stop performance logging perfmon

    Alex

    Have you looked in Help?

    Performance Logs and Alerts overview
    With Performance Logs and Alerts you can collect performance data
    automatically from local or remote computers. You can view logged
    counter data using System Monitor or export the data to spreadsheet
    programs or databases for analysis and report generation. Performance
    Logs and Alerts offers the following capabilities:

    a.. Performance Logs and Alerts collects data in a comma-separated or
    tab-separated format for easy import to spreadsheet programs. A binary
    log-file format is also provided for circular logging or for logging
    instances such as threads or processes that might begin after the log
    starts collecting data. (Circular logging is the process of continuously
    logging data to a single file, overwriting previous data with new data.)
    b.. You can also collect data in an SQL database format. This option
    defines the name of an existing SQL database and log set within the
    database where the performance data will be read or written. This file
    format is useful when collecting and analysing performance data at an
    enterprise level rather than a per server basis.
    c.. Counter data collected by Performance Logs and Alerts can be
    viewed during collection as well as after collection has stopped.
    d.. Because logging runs as a service, data collection occurs
    regardless of whether any user is logged on to the computer being
    monitored.
    e.. You can define start and stop times, file names, file sizes, and
    other parameters for automatic log generation.
    f.. You can manage multiple logging sessions from a single console
    window.
    g.. You can set an alert on a counter, specifying that a message be
    sent, a program be run, an entry be made to the application event log,
    or a log be started when the selected counter's value exceeds or falls
    below a specified setting.
    Similar to System Monitor, Performance Logs and Alerts provides support
    for defining performance objects, performance counters, and object
    instances, and setting sampling intervals for monitoring data about
    hardware resources and system services. Performance Logs and Alerts also
    offers other options related to recording performance data. These
    include:

    a.. Start and stop logging either manually on demand, or automatically
    based on a user-defined schedule.
    b.. Configure additional settings for automatic logging, such as
    automatic file renaming, and set parameters for stopping and starting a
    log based on the elapsed time or the file size.
    c.. Create trace logs. Using the default Windows XP system data
    provider or another application provider, trace logs record detailed
    system application events when certain activities such as a disk
    input/output (I/O) operation or a page fault occurs. When the event
    occurs, Windows XP logs the data to a file specified by the Performance
    Logs and Alerts service. This differs from the operation of counter
    logs; when counter logs are in use, the service obtains data from the
    system when the update interval has elapsed, rather than waiting for a
    specific event. A parsing tool is required to interpret the trace log
    output. Developers can create such a tool using application programming
    interfaces (APIs) provided on the MSDN Library Web site
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/).
    d.. You can also produce trace analysis reports from trace log output
    files using the Tracerpt tool. Use this tool to process kernel, Active
    Directory, and other transactional-based trace event logs, and to
    generate trace analysis reports and a .csv files from binary logs.
    e.. Define a program that runs when a log is stopped.
    If you want to export log data to Microsoft Excel, the Performance Logs
    and Alerts service must be stopped because Microsoft Excel requires
    exclusive access to the log file. Other programs are not known to
    require this exclusive access; therefore, in general you can work with
    data from a log file while the service is collecting data to that file.

    For more information about the Performance Logs and Alerts user
    interface, see Performance Logs and Alerts interface.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Alex Coleman" <coalie@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > Am running XP SP1.
    >
    > Some time ago I followed a web page which showed m how to set up
    > Perfmon to track system activity. Now I now want to stop performance
    > logging.
    >
    > I can get as far as Start > Admin Tools > Performance which gives me
    > a window whose left hand pane contains:
    >
    > Console root
    > System Monitor
    > Performance Logs & Alerts
    > Counter Logs
    > Trace Logs
    > Alerts
    >
    > What do I need to do to switch off the performance logging.

Performance Login Windows XP