Issues with Batman: Arkham City

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hi guys. I've been quite frustrated with this game. I have a Sapphire Radeon HD6870 and this game runs horribly. It does work well but sometimes it just crashes. Usually the monitor just dims until it turns black and soon afterwards it goes to my desktop. The thing is that this problem isn't consistent. It sometimes does get past the loading screen after I select to load the latest game checkpoint. I am able to play and it doesn't crash but if I close the game and try to boot it up again, It sometimes crashes on the loading screen as mentioned, during the time when the bat icon is spinning in the lower right of the screen. I thought it might be because of the overclock I set so I turned it back down to stock, yet I still get the problem sometimes. Finally this problem isn't limited to just when I'm booting up a game but after a cutscene and I go to a different level in the game, during that load screen the game sometimes crashes as well. I'm running the game with DX11 and even though most people say that to fix crash issues, it is best to turn off DX11, I get this problem sometimes, so I think the problem lies elsewhere. Also, I like the game with DX11 off, so I don't want to sacrifice the quality either. Does anyone know what the problem is?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
A 6870 for the most part won't be able to run Arkham City enjoyably at a nice frame rate in DX11.

Arkham City is an example of a great game that is utterly hindered by horrendous code work. Hell, a GTX580 doesn't provide a gleaming experience on this title in DX11 even. I haven't seen any benches but I'll bet it even hiccups on a 7970 in DX11.

Crashes to main menu are strange and you might want to try a reinstall, but for the purpose of a smooth game I would definitely say run this one in DX9 and just forget that it ever had a DX11 component.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I have reinstalled it twice already to no benefit. I guess it is the DX11 then. I do get decent FPS though even with DX11. I get between 30-60 fps which is pretty good. Not only that but it plays great when it makes it past the loading screen when I choose to load the checkpoint. It is only sometimes where it doesn't load and crashes during that point when the bat is spinning in the lower right. Usually by restarting the game maybe once or twice, I am eventually able to play and get past the loading screen. So the issue isn't the FPS...it is the stupid random crashes I get.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

If you 've reinstalled twice then I can't think of what else to tell you besides potentially reformatting, and that is no guarantee nor is it likely worth the time and effort to you. I doubt it has anything to do with gpu clocks or voltages since you said it is crashing at the loading screen, but you could try increasing your voltage to your card's bios-maximum or alternatively downclocking your card. I doubt this is going to resolve any issues but it's free and not time consuming, so you may want to give it a shot.

What does the rest of your system hardware look like? CPU make, Ram make/amount, Power supply, etc etc?

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 OC'ed to 3.9GHz, 8GB of DDR3 RAM from Kingston (Dual-channel), an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard, a 600W iCAN PSU, and a Sapphire Radeon HD6870 DiRT 3 Edition, all inside a CM HAF 912 case. Now every other game including BF3 runs fine so I don't think there is an issue with my build....

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I agree your build looks fine. The game just has so many DX11 shortcomings I can only assume it's due to that. Sorry that you've having issues chief.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

I guess I'll try to live with it. I can manage to try shutting the game down and restarting it a couple of times until it works. I guess I'll just do that as I can still use DX11 that way even though it is a very lengthy and stupid process.