XP startup hangs for 2 minutes then continues

Toshiba laptop, win xp sp2, wired to network, has wireless nic - which is
off; when booting, warm or cold, Toshiba splash screen comes up, then Win XP
screen for a few seconds, then screen goes blank/black with just mouse
pointer; sits for a fairly constant 2 minutes then continues to normal
Novell login screen; this just started happening, supposedly no new software
or hardware was added; goes into safe mode fine; have run Spybot and McAfee
with nothing found; Help!

Thanks in advance.

"kbgrunt" <kbgrunt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Toshiba laptop, win xp sp2, wired to network, has wireless nic - which is
> off; when booting, warm or cold, Toshiba splash screen comes up, then Win
> XP
> screen for a few seconds, then screen goes blank/black with just mouse
> pointer; sits for a fairly constant 2 minutes then continues to normal
> Novell login screen; this just started happening, supposedly no new
> software
> or hardware was added; goes into safe mode fine; have run Spybot and
> McAfee
> with nothing found; Help!
>
> Thanks in advance.

Take a look at http://greatis.com/utilities/bootlogxp/

Free trial available. Came up clean when I tried it.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

I would look at the Novell Client. Older versions of the client took longer
to connect to the server or detect that the server isn't available, thus
adding a wait time that normally wouldn't exist.

"kbgrunt" <kbgrunt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Toshiba laptop, win xp sp2, wired to network, has wireless nic - which is
> off; when booting, warm or cold, Toshiba splash screen comes up, then Win
> XP
> screen for a few seconds, then screen goes blank/black with just mouse
> pointer; sits for a fairly constant 2 minutes then continues to normal
> Novell login screen; this just started happening, supposedly no new
> software
> or hardware was added; goes into safe mode fine; have run Spybot and
> McAfee
> with nothing found; Help!
>
> Thanks in advance.

doodle

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2005

kbgrunt Wrote:
> Toshiba laptop, win xp sp2, wired to network, has wireless nic - which
> is
> off; when booting, warm or cold, Toshiba splash screen comes up, then
> Win XP
> screen for a few seconds, then screen goes blank/black with just mouse
> pointer; sits for a fairly constant 2 minutes then continues to
> normal
> Novell login screen; this just started happening, supposedly no new
> software
> or hardware was added; goes into safe mode fine; have run Spybot and
> McAfee
> with nothing found; Help!
>
> Thanks in advance.

You could also run a disk cleanup and defragment, may help improve your
boot especially if the drive is low on space.

--
doodle

diskspace - over 75% of disk space is available; will do a defrag
Novell Client- is 4.9sp2 which is only 1 version back; has been working
fine, then just started with the delay; delay still occurs when laptop
disconnected from network.

thanks

"John Tiesi" wrote:

> I would look at the Novell Client. Older versions of the client took longer
> to connect to the server or detect that the server isn't available, thus
> adding a wait time that normally wouldn't exist.
>
> "kbgrunt" <kbgrunt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Toshiba laptop, win xp sp2, wired to network, has wireless nic - which is
> > off; when booting, warm or cold, Toshiba splash screen comes up, then Win
> > XP
> > screen for a few seconds, then screen goes blank/black with just mouse
> > pointer; sits for a fairly constant 2 minutes then continues to normal
> > Novell login screen; this just started happening, supposedly no new
> > software
> > or hardware was added; goes into safe mode fine; have run Spybot and
> > McAfee
> > with nothing found; Help!
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

I've actually had to go as far back as 4.83 SP3 to get things to work right.