win98 win.com file placement

Tags:
  • Computers
  • System32
  • Windows XP
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
October 12, 2005 2:42:35 PM

in my windows xp computers win.com is in the system32 folder. Where is it in the win98 os? it got deleted during a virus deleting frenzy, lol

Everyone has a humble beginning...

More about : win98 win file placement

October 12, 2005 4:37:57 PM

C:\windows

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
October 12, 2005 8:47:59 PM

Well, that's not cool... that's where i placed it after system32 didn't work, and it still didn't like me. I'll double check to see that it copied correctly. I'm working through dos, so it's not like i see it pop up right away on a little window's screen...

(Windows, the Windows logo, and it's affiliates are yadda yadda yadda who cares)

Related resources
October 13, 2005 11:25:58 PM

This is a perfect excuse to upgrade to a half decent OS - Buy XP Home!

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>
October 14, 2005 2:07:09 AM

Yeah, i own win xp pro.
It's my parents computer and it ISN'T going to run it, believe me.
Anywho, I reinstalled win98, but when it restarts after putting all the files in, it just states:
C:\REM [Header]
This program cannot be run in DOS mode
C:\

October 14, 2005 12:21:36 PM

Do a full format and scan the drive for errors.

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>
October 14, 2005 9:37:14 PM

So you're saying a reinstall (over top of existing install) didn't fix it?

Might send a PM to member named 4ryan6, he's a good guy and pretty good win98se

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Coyote on 10/14/05 05:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 15, 2005 4:05:34 AM

Another thought, if you know what programs they have installed and can reinstall them, delete the windows folder and reinstall 98 and apps. It'll keep the data files, but you'll get a clean copy of windows.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
October 16, 2005 5:10:00 PM

I only have a win98 update cd. It has all the files on it, but it won't let you reinstall a fresh copy. I found that out the hard way. It says it will upgrade win 95 though, I could maybe put a fresh copy of that and then upgrade it from there. The drive is fine, at least that's what all the diagnostics say.
Also, it goes through and does all the copying of files, etc. but once it reboots, it doesn't catch the CD to boot off of it. In fact, it never does. I had to use a floppy to start up the cd drive. I checked the bios and it's the first device to boot up with too. I made it so it checks it twice, but that didn't work either. I'm thinking it just doesn't have any way to know what to do without the cd drive working.

October 16, 2005 9:03:36 PM

After the files have copied the PC should boot from the harddrive and then setup will continue.

October 17, 2005 12:26:35 AM

Right, it should. But instead, I get
C:\REM [Header]
This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

So now what...? Go back to my fresh install of win95 and upgrade it back to win98?

October 17, 2005 12:15:25 PM

If it is a Win98 upgrade only disk - yes

October 17, 2005 2:16:17 PM

Noooo... don't do that. Insert the Win 95 disk when prompted while installing the 98 if you have an upgrade CD.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
October 18, 2005 4:49:44 AM

You don't upgrade 95 with the upgrade CD, you install 98 from scratch and insert the 95 disk when prompted.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 19, 2005 11:18:25 AM

My bad - Wasn't thinking.

October 20, 2005 4:38:08 PM

If, after trying this previous advice, you still have the problem, the machine may have been hit with an MBR virus.

Fdisking, formatting and scanning will not get rid of it. There is only one way - DeBug utility. Put DeBug on a Bootable 98 floppy and do the following:

At the "A" prompt type debug. You will see a minus sign cursor. Type the following commands, hitting "Enter" at the end of each line. Note: what looks like zeros are the number zero, NOT the letter O.

f 200 L200 0
a 100
mov ax,301
mov bx,200
mov cx,1
mov dx,0080
int 13
int 3
(hit Enter again here)
g=100
q (the letter Q lower case)

This completely erases the Master and Secondary boot partitions. Reboot, fdisk, format and your 98 install will go okay now.

Of course the assumption is that your 98 Upgrade disc is okay. Sometimes these discs go bad. If you still have a problem after the DeBug treatment, your install disc is probably corrupt. Borrow someone elses' and try again. The debug utility is a great way to zero out a drive and start over.
The utility to write zeros to a drive is a lengthy process and was born from folks selling their used drives with the data still being recoverable with sophisticated software. This is not necessary if you're starting over on your own hd. Debug takes about one minute, and is foolproof for restarting.
!